Questions on the ToS

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Emerton

17 Jul 2015

1. It is against the ToS to start a conversation disagreeing with the ToS?
2. Is it against the ToS to question moderator actions or decisions?
3. Is it against the ToS to talk about history?
4. Is it against the ToS to start a public conversation with a specific member?

Thankyou.

Olivier

17 Jul 2015

@1. No
@2. No
@3. No
@4. No

Go Ahead, Dazzle me with arguments :)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

selig
RE Developer

17 Jul 2015

You were specifically asked to start a thread here with any questions you may have concerning the ToS - why then ask if it's OK to do so?

Seems there is some sort of logical dis-connect going on here. :(
Selig Audio, LLC

Kenni
Site Admin

17 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:1. It is against the ToS to start a conversation disagreeing with the ToS?

Thankyou.
Read the ToS.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Emerton

17 Jul 2015

selig wrote:You were specifically asked to start a thread here with any questions you may have concerning the ToS - why then ask if it's OK to do so?

Seems there is some sort of logical dis-connect going on here. :(
Because a thread I conversed in was locked and then I was challenged on the next thread I started, on the above questions.

I would like to start a discussion about what we discussed, and when I've framed the question adequately, will do so. Thanks.
Last edited by Emerton on 17 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Emerton

17 Jul 2015

Kenni wrote:
Emerton wrote:1. It is against the ToS to start a conversation disagreeing with the ToS?

Thankyou.
Read the ToS.
I did.

Care to tell me why this topic was locked if it didn't breach the ToS??????

http://reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7490659
This is the kitchen, a place for non-Reason discussion, and we're talking history here, not politics or religion. History isn't a banned topic in this conversation-suffocating place, so this is on topic:

Ostermilk, the American revolution of 1765-1783 inspired the French revolution of 1789-1799, showing that the abstract ideals of Liberalism could work in practice, and so inspired radical and gradual social changes across Europe, including in Britain, that resulted in Canada, New Zealand and Australia's democratic traditions.

The remarkable work that is the American constitution is a ground-breaking declaration, unique at that point in history, that has inspired similar declarations across the world since.

This is not my opinion, but the opinion of contemporary philosophers such as Richard Price: http://www.historyguide.org/intellect/price.html

and is described in historian Richard Mackey's "American revolutionary influences of the French revolution"

http://libx.bsu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ ... usH/id/243

"The American Revolution produced for the people of France an educational program
of gigantic proportions. Already orientated toward the two Enlightenment-advocated
dreams of the eighteenth-century philosophes of the progress of mankind through
romantic idealization and comparative analysis of a utilitarian nature, the French
intellectuals could foresee in America the Nirvana of the future golden age and
a model for a new France. At the same time the people of France came to believe that
some of the problems that France had faced had existed in America and that successful
application of Enlightenment-based ideas there had produced forms of government
of the various states guaranteeing liberty and equality through written constitutions
assuring a government by and for the people.

Therefore, an understanding of the influence of the American Revolution on the
French Revolution must include a recognition that the French were interpreting the
American Revolutionary ideological successes first, in terms of the extent to which
they fulfilled the philosophy of the Enlightenment, which the Americans had used to
justify their revolution; secondly, in terms of how much conditions in France
approximated those in America; thirdly, to what extent the principles could be
applied to conditions in France and, finally, in terms of whether the ideology and
government of America could serve as a model for France.

Frenchmen who knew of the conflict of ideas on the other side of the Atlantic
became increasingly aware that there had been similar conflicts in their own history.
These conflicts in France had has as their primary source the disagreement between the
monarchical government, which had claimed absolute power, and the parlementary
judiciary system which had been, since 1615, the only institution which had had the
right to question that absolutism. The conflict between the people of America and the
King of England over taxation and American representation in the British Parliament
was, to the French, similar to the conflict over taxation between the Kings of France
and the people of France who had been represented in the judiciary by the hereditary
noble-dominated parlements of France, but who had not been represented in a national
assembly since the dismissal of the Estates-General in 1615. The experience of the
American Revolution provided the French with an example and a new interpretation
of the ideas of liberty, equality, and private property which they believed might be
applied to the differing circumstances existing in France."

I previously posted this:

The American Revolution had a profound effect on the European psyche. It demonstrated that the ideas of Enlightenment were not mere utterances, and that it was possible to overthrow an oppressive government.

“Be encouraged, all ye friends of freedom, and writers in its defense! The times are auspicious. Your labours have not been in vain. Behold kingdoms, admonished by you, starting from sleep, breaking their fetters, and claiming justice from their oppressors! Behold, the light you have struck out, after setting America free, reflected to France, and there kindled into a blaze that lays despotism in ashes, and warms and illuminates EUROPE!”
– Richard Price, British philosopher and preacher

What was the impact of American Revolution?

The American Revolution had a tremendous effect on Europe. It not only served as an inspiration for France, but also demonstrated that the liberal political ideas of the Enlightenment were more than mere utterances of intellectuals. The Revolution has been described by historian Eugene Weber:

“Revolution you see is rather like a snowball on a slope. It is hard to get revolution going but once on its way it is hard to stop it from rolling and growing until it becomes an avalanche.”
Three major events of the American Revolution had great influence on Europe:
Signing the Declaration of Independence
Implementing the ideas of Enlightenment
Forming the U.S constitution
By declaring independence, America demonstrated that it was possible to overthrow “old regimes”. This was the first time a colony had rebelled and successfully asserted its rights to self-government and nationhood. This inspired many European nations and colonies to revolt.

The United States had created a new social contract in the form of its Constitution, in which they realized the ideas of Enlightenment. The natural rights of man, and the ideas of liberty, equality, and freedom of religion, were no longer unrealistic Utopian ideals. The framers of U.S Constitution rejected the Greek model of civic republicanism. They distinguished between the notion of “democracy” and their own proposed system of representative democracy. This made the bourgeoisie of Europe reconsider their own government and monarchic systems.
How did the American Revolution influence the French Revolution?
The culmination of all these factors was seen in the French Revolution, where the revolutionaries formed their own slogan, “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity”. Europeans obtained information about the American Revolution from soldiers returning from America. French soldiers returned to France with ideas of individual liberty, popular sovereignty and the notion of republicanism.
The French then revolted against their ineffectual monarchy, which they saw as tyrannical

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/american ... tions.html

Ostermilk, if you have some works presenting an alternative view: that the French revolution occurred in a vacuum, NOT influenced in any way by the proceeding American revolution, then by all means post links to them.
Thankyou.

forensickbeats

17 Jul 2015

Pretty quick reaction of the mods, last time I had a POLITICAL discussion lasting DAAAYZZZZ.

Olivier

17 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:This is the kitchen, a place for non-Reason discussion, and we're talking history here, not politics or religion. History isn't a banned topic in this conversation-suffocating place, so this is on topic:
If you really are that interested in a non reason discussion, then don't drag in other stuff.
But i can see you figured that out ;)

Kenni
Site Admin

17 Jul 2015

It got locked because you stated you wanted a private discussion with another forum user. We then adviced you to take that discussion in private.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Emerton

17 Jul 2015

Kenni wrote:It got locked because you stated you wanted a private discussion with another forum user. We then adviced you to take that discussion in private.
But people do that all the time. It calls attention to one intended person, but open to public discussion.
And it wouldn't have been an issue if the Indepence day topic was locked. Why was ot locked? It was on topic ffs.

gak

17 Jul 2015

It was locked for the same reason you keep constantly trying to get your way. Far less about the topic and far more about the fact that it never ends well when someone tries to force the point on everyone.

Not everyone agrees with you, not everyone knows what they are talking about in politics (though they always seem to think they do)

Let it go, have a nice beer.

Emerton

17 Jul 2015

gak wrote:It was locked for the same reason you keep constantly trying to get your way. Far less about the topic and far more about the fact that it never ends well when someone tries to force the point on everyone.

Not everyone agrees with you, not everyone knows what they are talking about in politics (though they always seem to think they do)

Did you lock the threads?
If not why are you speaking for the person who did?
Who are you and why are you sticking your beak in, making personal attacks on my motivations?
I'm simply trying to have a conversation. I'm not trying to "force my way". It's frustrating trying to have a conversation and have threads shut down and be constantly swatting away sniping comments. Please mind your own business.

orthodox
RE Developer

18 Jul 2015

I can suggest the proper place for such discussions: Discussion Forums | Politics Forum .org

The people are nice there, and they will be happy to present you the right view on the subject. :)

gak

18 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:
gak wrote:It was locked for the same reason you keep constantly trying to get your way. Far less about the topic and far more about the fact that it never ends well when someone tries to force the point on everyone.

Did you lock the threads?
If not why are you speaking for the person who did?
Who are you and why are you sticking your beak in, making personal attacks on my motivations?
I'm simply trying to have a conversation. I'm not trying to "force my way". It's frustrating trying to have a conversation and have threads shut down and be constantly swatting away sniping comments. Please mind your own business.
You are a tool. Added to foe.

Olivier

18 Jul 2015

Thread is locked because i'm reading personal attacks instead of arguments.

Even if you are of the opinion that the the person you are responding to started the attacks, you are not to use personal attacks. They don't help the situation and will get a thread locked.

• Information