(Poll) What's your gender?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

What is your gender?

I'm born male.
74%
I'm born female but feel like a man.
No votes
I'm born female.
No votes
I'm born male but feel like a woman.
5%
I'm something else.
21%

Total votes: 43
Pinkbox

28 Jul 2015

That other discussion made me wonder about the proportion of male/female on this board.
Considering the male dominance on electronic music, I'm curious to know if this board reproduce the reality out there.
And, to kick out any bad spirit from the beginning, I'm not trying to make any point, I'm just curious :)
Also, considering the number of trans-gender I know IRL, it seemed important to me to separate biological sex and social representation of one's sex.

Cheers!
Last edited by Pinkbox on 28 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Emerton

28 Jul 2015

The wording of this poll is political. I'd suggest it be locked if political/religious posts are banned.

Not everyone agrees that people's feelings define who we are. As in anorexia. A thin person may feel like they're fat, but that's not the reality. In the same way a person with male anatomy may feel female, but that's not reality.
We seek to help the anorexic victim reduce the distance between feelings & physical reality, but we heartlessly leave the transgendered & actually encourage them in their disconnect, with the medical field profitting off their situation.

Imagine if society called anorexics "heroic" and encouraged them to staple their stomachs or pursue other operations to change their bodies, rather than help their minds accept who they are? We'd be killing them. And I believe suicide rates among post-op transgendered prove the same thing.

Pinkbox

28 Jul 2015

Haaaa shit
I quit

mojo

28 Jul 2015

WTF ????

pLansford

28 Jul 2015

I don't feel like I'm a male or female but rather a little self-absorbed pocket of energy in a very tiny part of existence.

Emerton

28 Jul 2015

pLansford wrote:I don't feel like I'm a male or female but rather a little self-absorbed pocket of energy in a very tiny part of existence.
Win

hydlide

28 Jul 2015

I am borg...

esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:The wording of this poll is political. I'd suggest it be locked if political/religious posts are banned.

Not everyone agrees that people's feelings define who we are. As in anorexia. A thin person may feel like they're fat, but that's not the reality. In the same way a person with male anatomy may feel female, but that's not reality.
We seek to help the anorexic victim reduce the distance between feelings & physical reality, but we heartlessly leave the transgendered & actually encourage them in their disconnect, with the medical field profitting off their situation.

Imagine if society called anorexics "heroic" and encouraged them to staple their stomachs or pursue other operations to change their bodies, rather than help their minds accept who they are? We'd be killing them.
This is a misleading comparison, for several reasons.

Firstly, gender dysphoria is not the same as anorexia: whereas anorexia is based on an unrealistic concept of what the body looks like, a gender-dysphoric person fully understands that they are male- or female-bodied, and are not under the illusion that their body is any different from what it is. Transgender patients' brain patterns are often more similar to that of their internal sex than their physical sex. It is the mismatch between brain sex and body sex that causes gender dysphoria.

Secondly, transition is the only effective treatment that's been found for gender dysphoria, and often results in improved quality of life once the patient has completed transition. Therapists tried for decades to talk people out of being transgender, and it's been found completely ineffective. At worst, this sort of repression "therapy" is actively harmful.
And I believe suicide rates among post-op transgendered prove the same thing.
This is an oft-cited but deceptive statistic, as it ignores that this number is lower than the suicide rate of transgender people who are not able to transition. This also ignores the significant emotional effects of societal rejection, which even today is only gradually changing.

As an aside, while the additional poll options are well-meaning, the differentiation between birth gender and gender identity isn't likely one that many transgender people would like to make outside of their doctor's office, so I would be surprised to see those options used.
Last edited by esselfortium on 28 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

O1B

28 Jul 2015

razzy!! but - this reads like a 'coming out' thread. ... maybe it has something to do with music... maybe...

I don't think they've heard about ReasonTalk, but an all Girl-Group (~5 members) were rocking some awesome Drum n Bass in front of the Parliament Building in Rikiyavek. Pretty sure they use Reason 8. ...Work flow... too bad about the 5 votes...

I believe it was part of the 10-20,000 person DrusluGangan, that took place right before. Slogan: "MY P*****, My Choice"

Greetings from Tradir, Iceland. Great Country.
Peace, Gollum.

this thread will self implode in 5 4 3....
Back to the Electribe
2... (Battery power sure comes in handy hanging near the bird cliffs.)
Mark.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:The wording of this poll is political.
I disagree.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

dhruan

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:The wording of this poll is political. I'd suggest it be locked if political/religious posts are banned.
Dafuq? Dude... that is BS. I know TG people (one of my best friends among others) and I heartily applaud this poll. The wording is not political and if you see it as such it just shows on which side of the fence you stand.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Emerton

28 Jul 2015

dhruan wrote: The wording is not political and if you see it as such it just shows on which side of the fence you stand.
The political fence. Exactly. That's why it's a political post. It's assuming one side of the political fence to be truth.

But science is on my side. I was referencing Dr. McHugh's analogy of anorexia and other body-image disorders with transgenderism:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh ... 1402615120

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael ... sex-change

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2011/09/2 ... addiction/
ABLOW: We wouldn’t invite people with anorexia to go on fashion shows and talk about how wonderful they feel now that they’re thinner…this is an exact parallel. […] Take the heroin dependent people, put them on TV with their drug paraphernalia and have them speak about how happy they are.

hydlide

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote: The political fence. Exactly. That's why it's a political post. It's assuming one side of the political fence to be truth.
I sense a disturbance in the force...

normen

28 Jul 2015

hydlide wrote:I sense a disturbance in the force...

Puckboy2000

28 Jul 2015

People are way too sensitive and PC.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:
But science is on my side. I was referencing Dr. McHugh's analogy of anorexia and other body-image disorders with transgenderism:

ABLOW: We wouldn’t invite people with anorexia to go on fashion shows and talk about how wonderful they feel now that they’re thinner…this is an exact parallel. […] Take the heroin dependent people, put them on TV with their drug paraphernalia and have them speak about how happy they are.
For anyone interested in reading up on the subject, this is a pretty thorough rebuttal to McHugh, whose claims are based on selective and misrepresentative readings of statistics. There are plenty more rebuttals that can easily be found online.
Sarah Mancuso

TheSoothsayer

28 Jul 2015

dhruan wrote:
Dafuq? Dude... that is BS. I know TG people (one of my best friends among others) and I heartily applaud this poll. The wording is not political and if you see it as such it just shows on which side of the fence you stand.

Many of us have transgendered friends. Or drug-addicted friends.Or anorexic friends. Or friends who cheat on their partners. The issue is always, are you a better friend if you encourage someone to heal and get better mentally, or a better friend to just encourage them to keep doing the thing which is hurting them.
I've had friends who have been bullemic, cheaters, who've died from herion and who've moved out of a transgendered state back into cisgendered.
Sy Rogers is one such acquaintance. But don't take my word for it, you can hear him yourself on how he almost had the irreversible operation, yet now is married and has fathered kids, and now tries to help people who are like he was. He still has some effeminate qualities, but there's nothing unmale about being a man with effeminate qualities. It's actually more damaging to tell an effeminate male they're somehow less male because of how they act.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:
dhruan wrote: The wording is not political and if you see it as such it just shows on which side of the fence you stand.
The political fence. Exactly. That's why it's a political post. It's assuming one side of the political fence to be truth.

You DO realize that with this post you are admitting to posting political subject matter in a forum where this is strictly forbidden, right?
IF you believe this subject is political in nature, then I will ask you to refrain from further political posting.

Still not sure what your end game is on this forum - if you are continually unhappy with how things are being run here, you are free to leave at any time, or at least please consider taking a break for a while.
Selig Audio, LLC

TheSoothsayer

28 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
Emerton wrote:The wording of this poll is political.
I disagree.
selig wrote:
Emerton wrote:

You DO realize that with this post you are admitting to posting political subject matter in a forum where this is strictly forbidden, right?
IF you believe this subject is political in nature, then I will ask you to refrain from further political posting.

Still not sure what your end game is on this forum - if you are continually unhappy with how things are being run here, you are free to leave at any time, or at least please consider taking a break for a while.
?? Inconsistent position Selig. Is the topic political or not? If not, why ban Emerton for expressing an opinion on the subject?

esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

So you created a puppet account to continue telling other people how they ought to live their lives while continuing your endless game of trying to bait the forum mods. Amazing.
Sarah Mancuso

dhruan

28 Jul 2015

Emerton wrote:
No. Truth, especially if it is claimed to be held by a political party or a party with a political agenda, is always relative (at least to a degree unless it is a statement of a scientific fact, like "At sea level atmospheric pressure water boils when it's temperature reaches 100°C"). You see, I prefer proven scientific facts. The issue (and this poll) itself is not political, not even if you wantonly try to claim or make it such (trying to politicize such issues is often telling of that persons motives and standing on moral issues which is why I mentioned the fence to begin with).

It has been scientifically proven that there exist people that have a physical and biological sex (XX vs. XY, male vs. female physical characteristics etc.) and a matching gender identity and also people who have a gender identity that does not match their sex. Nothing political there, just scientific facts.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Jul 2015

Don't waste your time replying to Emerton and TheSoothsayer, they have both been permanently banned.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Bitcoin

28 Jul 2015

Kenni wrote:Don't waste your time replying to Emerton and TheSoothsayer, they have both been permanently banned.
Why? What did they do?

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Jul 2015

Bitcoin wrote:
Kenni wrote:Don't waste your time replying to Emerton and TheSoothsayer, they have both been permanently banned.
Why? What did they do?
Hi Emerton,

What are you, 15? Get a life dude.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information