Linn Drums

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Shiva666

07 Mar 2016

Heya,

Anyone had a good success in emulating the Linn Drum ( similar to Prince Drum sounds)?

Thanks!

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2016

Shiva666 wrote:Heya,

Anyone had a good success in emulating the Linn Drum ( similar to Prince Drum sounds)?

Thanks!
Linn was a pretty primative sample player, so the main thing is to get the samples first! There wasn't much else you could do from there except for pitch the samples up/down…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

08 Mar 2016

selig wrote: Linn was a pretty primative sample player, so the main thing is to get the samples first! There wasn't much else you could do from there except for pitch the samples up/down…
:)
There seems to be a bit of a discussion about that. ;)

D.

Rice

08 Mar 2016

The Jiggery Pokery "Kings of Kong" (as mentioned earlier) is an absolutely great start. The Linn Drum samples are great...I use it quite often to emulate Prince's Mid-late 80's drum sounds and have NOT been disappointed, it is priced just right, and you get all of the early drum machines!

Rice

08 Mar 2016

Speaking of the Purple One...don't forget that he also used the Simmons Drum System on his 80's stuff as well.

Shiva666

09 Mar 2016

oooo yeah... i just love that sound.. 1999 has that drums that is so sexy sounding!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

09 Mar 2016

The Linn set is probably my most-used part of KoK here, tends to get the nod for all my 80's synth-pop stuff. The kick and snare are snappy and easy to mix. Absolutely the best of the 80s sample drum machines.

The classic Simmons synth-rock set is cool too, although I've only used it once it's a little more cliché and a bit too "knowing".

Wasn't thinking of Roger Rizzitelli's Magnetic Fields 2 performance there. At all. No sirree.

I'm fond this one - it's the Linn Drum plus Republik, with Mixfood Orange on synth.

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:The Linn set is probably my most-used part of KoK here, tends to get the nod for all my 80's synth-pop stuff. The kick and snare are snappy and easy to mix. Absolutely the best of the 80s sample drum machines.

The classic Simmons synth-rock set is cool too, although I've only used it once it's a little more cliché and a bit too "knowing".

Wasn't thinking of Roger Rizzitelli's Magnetic Fields 2 performance there. At all. No sirree.

I'm fond this one - it's the Linn Drum plus Republik, with Mixfood Orange on synth.

Use the Simmons sounds as background layers for length and tone, and you can hide them pretty well in any track. I would also use them as layers to add 'snap' to kicks/snares'.
This was one of the first things I did when I began working with the Fairlight, sample the Simmons and DMX and 808 drum machines at the studio (and got my friend to bring his Linn too). Had many sonic revelations that day… still use many of the same actual samples to this day! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

WongoTheSane

09 Mar 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:Wasn't thinking of Roger Rizzitelli's Magnetic Fields 2 performance there. At all. No sirree.
RIP Bunny, he's sorely missed. Beautiful song too. While we're at it, is there any way you could post Equinoxe 1963 (not 1969) in good quality somewhere? I have it on a loop but it's YouTube, so not very convenient... It blows every other version out of the water (including the original one). Pretty please?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Mar 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:[While we're at it, is there any way you could post Equinoxe 1963 (not 1969) in good quality somewhere? I have it on a loop but it's YouTube, so not very convenient... It blows every other version out of the water (including the original one). Pretty please?
Heh, wow, thanks.

The mp3 for the entire Equinoxe 1969 album (side A and side B) is still available for download on the SoundCloud page. You can always extract it in Audacity etc if you just want 1963 (although I'm also very partial to 1968; I remember struggling with rearranging that one for ages as the original finale is pretty much a nothing track).

WongoTheSane

10 Mar 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:[While we're at it, is there any way you could post Equinoxe 1963 (not 1969) in good quality somewhere? I have it on a loop but it's YouTube, so not very convenient... It blows every other version out of the water (including the original one). Pretty please?
Heh, wow, thanks.

The mp3 for the entire Equinoxe 1969 album (side A and side B) is still available for download on the SoundCloud page. You can always extract it in Audacity etc if you just want 1963 (although I'm also very partial to 1968; I remember struggling with rearranging that one for ages as the original finale is pretty much a nothing track).

Ah, I see where I went wrong, I meant Equinoxe 1963 Live, which is a bit different from the version that is on the full track. Mind you, I absolutely love the full track as well, but there is something about the live version, I don't know exactly what, maybe a tad less high drawbars on the Combo, that resonates with me. Or is it a LPF? Or you used Retro Organs or Vox on the full track and Combo on the live version? I don't know. Anyway, I'll just download the mp3 from YT (I already have the soundcloud ones). I know you did this a while ago, but I discovered it a couple of months ago and I'm still under the spell. Thanks again, brillant work.

raymondh

10 Mar 2016

selig wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:The Linn set is probably my most-used part of KoK here, tends to get the nod for all my 80's synth-pop stuff. The kick and snare are snappy and easy to mix. Absolutely the best of the 80s sample drum machines.

Use the Simmons sounds as background layers for length and tone, and you can hide them pretty well in any track. I would also use them as layers to add 'snap' to kicks/snares'.
This was one of the first things I did when I began working with the Fairlight, sample the Simmons and DMX and 808 drum machines at the studio (and got my friend to bring his Linn too). Had many sonic revelations that day… still use many of the same actual samples to this day! ;)
Great idea!!
I would not have thought of doing this.

My problem will be mixing it for subtlety since I love the sound of the SDS so much! :)

The_G

10 Mar 2016

I'm interested in Kings of Kong, but have a limited budget for refills. So question: are the Linn (and other 80s dm) samples significantly better than the ones in, say WBF (which I already own)?
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2016

raymondh wrote:
selig wrote:

Great idea!!
I would not have thought of doing this.

My problem will be mixing it for subtlety since I love the sound of the SDS so much! :)
Obviously working with a real SDS5 or SDS7 is better because you can tweak the sound to blend exactly how you need it. My samples are based on those types of sounds, so they work pretty well as far as samples go. Would love to see someone create an SDS5 RE… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Mar 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
Ah, I see where I went wrong, I meant Equinoxe 1963 Live, which is a bit different from the version that is on the full track. Mind you, I absolutely love the full track as well, but there is something about the live version, I don't know exactly what, maybe a tad less high drawbars on the Combo, that resonates with me. Or is it a LPF? Or you used Retro Organs or Vox on the full track and Combo on the live version? I don't know. Anyway, I'll just download the mp3 from YT (I already have the soundcloud ones). I know you did this a while ago, but I discovered it a couple of months ago and I'm still under the spell. Thanks again, brillant work.
Ah, I see where I misunderstood ;)

Yeah that is slightly different as i rerecorded it for the Conti. I probably do have a wav for it knocking around as I'd have bounced it out to put to the video. I'll take a look and mp3erize it (although I doubt it would sound much better than YT, as that was 512kbps iirc)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Mar 2016

The_G wrote:I'm interested in Kings of Kong, but have a limited budget for refills. So question: are the Linn (and other 80s dm) samples significantly better than the ones in, say WBF (which I already own)?
I can only say that at 8 quid, it's excellent value for money, and has lots of other things too, all of which are nicely mapped, and all were properly licensed from the original source (Hollow Sun, plus additional samples I made myself).

WongoTheSane

10 Mar 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:Ah, I see where I misunderstood ;)

Yeah that is slightly different as i rerecorded it for the Conti. I probably do have a wav for it knocking around as I'd have bounced it out to put to the video. I'll take a look and mp3erize it (although I doubt it would sound much better than YT, as that was 512kbps iirc)
You're right, I had forgotten YT's bandwidth increases with video quality. I'll just download it while on highest video setting, there's honestly no point in reencoding it. I much appreciate the offer though! Many many thanks!

raymondh

10 Mar 2016

selig wrote:Would love to see someone create an SDS5 RE… ;)
Yes me too - that would be an insta-buy!

raymondh

10 Mar 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
The_G wrote:I'm interested in Kings of Kong, but have a limited budget for refills. So question: are the Linn (and other 80s dm) samples significantly better than the ones in, say WBF (which I already own)?
I can only say that at 8 quid, it's excellent value for money, and has lots of other things too, all of which are nicely mapped, and all were properly licensed from the original source (Hollow Sun, plus additional samples I made myself).
Kings Of Kong is highly complementary to WBF, there isn't much overlap.

And even if there was overlap, KoK is so accessible, it would still be worth getting. Great mapping, organisation and processing of the drum sounds.

selig
RE Developer

12 Mar 2016

Wondering if a KoK RE (IDT) would be worth it- Matt? Maybe with a Simmons synth section too? ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Vince-Noir-99

17 Mar 2016

selig wrote:Wondering if a KoK RE (IDT) would be worth it- Matt? Maybe with a Simmons synth section too? ;)
+1 !!!!

I realise it's a massive list. Perhaps a short selection of the best/most sought? Maybe determined by referendum here on the forum haha :)

But seriously, having the Quadrelectra 909, I wish there were more drum machines in that format. Besides looking awesome in the rack, it also feels solid. Of course at 40€, like many, I think it's too much for a sample player with a nice GUI... Hopefully such product can still be viable for the developers and sell at 25-30€?

Imagine a bunch of drum machine classics with Jiggery's GUIs !! :) I want them all :D

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Mar 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
selig wrote:Wondering if a KoK RE (IDT) would be worth it- Matt? Maybe with a Simmons synth section too? ;)
+1 !!!!

I realise it's a massive list. Perhaps a short selection of the best/most sought? Maybe determined by referendum here on the forum haha :)

But seriously, having the Quadrelectra 909, I wish there were more drum machines in that format. Besides looking awesome in the rack, it also feels solid. Of course at 40€, like many, I think it's too much for a sample player with a nice GUI... Hopefully such product can still be viable for the developers and sell at 25-30€?

Imagine a bunch of drum machine classics with Jiggery's GUIs !! :) I want them all :D
Baring in mind that the minimum price in the shop is $9, I think there's just too much danger of being accused of ripping people off if I were to end up doing even a handful of them, and I'd be reluctant to do them for less than $19 each, as the level of work involved is significant. Yes, I know KoK was only ever £10 or less, but I've sold a two or three over the years.

As it stands now, Kong, while it does have its issues (output mapping reset on patch load! grrrr!), it is really flexible - with lots of tweaking at pad level, and also at individual sample/loop level, right there as and when you need, which won't necessarily be the case in an IDT instrument, and indeed that's one the biggest criticisms aimed, not unjustifiably, at the existing crop of basic beat-box instruments like the Jackboxes, which are in fact less flexible than using RedRum, let alone Kong.

In Kong it's also really easy for users to layer up hits, not only from within KoK's samples, but adding additional samples people have elsewhere.

With hindsight perhaps the Simmons synth set should have been separate patch - I programmed the different kits on alt Hit types in the one patches, as it allows easier mixing and matching, but the synth set is pretty specific that one is unlikely to use them with the non-synth Simmons hits! ;)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Mar 2016

One notable difficulty in doing either a dedicated Linn or Simmons product, is that they are both still active businesses. It's one thing including a set of vintage samples in a wider genre product with the usual trademark disclaimers, I doubt they're particularly fussed. As separate and specific products though, one couldn't put the words Linn or Simmons anywhere near them.

Vince-Noir-99

21 Mar 2016

Understood. Thanks for the reply! If the price tiers are 9, 19, 29, 39.. I agree that 29-39 would be more appropriate. Regarding the limited flexibility of IDT instruments, at least in my opinion, it would still make sense having a few favourite drum machines in such compact format. In the end once I have pitch, decay, level and separate outs I guess I'm happy.

The much requested sequencer in the Jackbox TRs emulations was due to the high-ish price. But in the end I got myself the 909 and admit I made good use of it nevertheless. Personally, having a bunch of classics in the shop such as the Yamahas, Linn, Rolands etc at 29€, I would seriously have to buy them all :D Not sure how most folks feel about it though... My need for limitations, simplicity and compactness may not be so popular ;)

• Information