sad news...the passing of Isao Tomita May 5, 2016

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
snowcattt

08 May 2016

Invent the life you want to live.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 May 2016

Oh bummer.

I have been waiting for the nest one to drop. Didn't think of Tomita. A big influence on me. I just adore the way he would morph melody into sound without sacrificing the sense of the music. The best of Japanese culture and western music. A true pioneer.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Aquila

08 May 2016

I don't know who Isao is, but RIP

snowcattt

08 May 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmwPhoxPGeY

I understand many people don't know Tomita...if I may, I found this on YouTube. It was the first encounter I had with Tomita (1978?), and I would like to share it on this post. "Snowflakes Are Dancing" Side A
Invent the life you want to live.

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2016

My earliest exposure to Tomita was The Planets - I wore that record OUT. Gave me an appreciation for the original orchestral work as well. But the main inspiration came from hearing an entirely electronic production that didn't so much sound "electronic" (yes, there were places that Tomita went full on "electronic cheese"!). But for the most part, there were soaring string lines with beautiful dynamics (long before MIDI and "velocity), amazing rich textures, and plenty of creative studio effects etc.
His music made a huge impression on me that lives on to this day, and is a part of why I still choose to use synthesizers as a big part of my "sound". RIP Isao Tomita, you will be missed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information