Is it crazy to upgrade just for the custom UI?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Aasmund1986

22 May 2016

I plan to upgrade my Essentials licence to R9, just for the custom UI as Im a big fan of dark UIs. But is it crazy to upgrade just because of that, or does Essentials got any of the new features as the core version does too?
Last edited by Aasmund1986 on 22 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

normen

22 May 2016

I think the dark UI is a bit half-assed, it doesn't look great and in some parts it doesn't work with the rest of the design. Then some parts are simply not changed at all, like the groove mixer or the main mixer.

As for features, Essentials has all the "workflow" enhancements like cutting MIDI notes and the bounce in place stuff.

Aasmund1986

22 May 2016

Hm, so it isnt worth upgrading to R9 just because of the dark UI?
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

tibah

22 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Hm, so it isnt worth upgrading to R9 just because of the dark UI?
The themes are included in Reason Essentials 9. ;)

There are far more reasons to upgrade to the full version of Reason, so I won't even go there. ;)

In the past Propellerhead didn't offer a way to upgrade an Essentials license. Until Reason Essentials 2, every upgrade was free. Essentials 8 had the price drop, but no upgrade path. Basically, you buy the full version again at 69€ to get:
Built-in Softube Amps (replaces the Line6 Amps)
Bounce in place - convert a MIDI clip to audio, complete with effects and mixer settings
Reverse Notes and Automation
Razor tool on notes
Themes (Standard / Dark / Blue)
Zooming with scrollwheel will now center on the mouse pointer position
Drop to Allihoopa

sdst
Competition Winner

22 May 2016

actually reason essential 8 has the Softube and Line6 Amps, 4 Amps
and Drop to Allihoopa

the only really interesting thing is Bounce in place, that for 69$

so better save and buy the full version

orthodox
RE Developer

22 May 2016

Whether it's crazy or not is debatable, but I'm going to upgrade just for the dark UI. I don't see any other feature I could immediately use in R9.

Well, another motive is that I like to have the latest version in general.

selig
RE Developer

22 May 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Hm, so it isnt worth upgrading to R9 just because of the dark UI?
Only YOU can ultimately answer that question, and luckily you can give it a trial run to see for yourself!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Aasmund1986

23 May 2016

orthodox wrote:Whether it's crazy or not is debatable, but I'm going to upgrade just for the dark UI. I don't see any other feature I could immediately use in R9.

Well, another motive is that I like to have the latest version in general.
Been a Reason user since 2.0 and I tried so much DAWs and really gave them all a go, but Reason is just the one for me. When they finally got a better UI I think its worth a upgrade when I use Reason so much :)
Reason 10 Intro

QVprod

23 May 2016

Simple answer: If you want it, you want it. Who cares if someone else thinks it's crazy. If it's worth it to you, then get it.

O1B

28 May 2016

Nope. I would. It's the least of your music making worries.
Plus, if it Helps?…. Bonus! Audio Analysis Tools are all about 'UI' … well, not All about, but… you get my meaning.
Reconstitution of Audio Waveforms with Selig's tools will be much more Dynamic for me with Color Options.
The Future: (RecordBOX)
Installing Beta in a few… but, from what i saw, and from personal preference, I'm looking forward.
That R8 white-wash was a non-starter for me.

pushedbutton

03 Jun 2016

If you're most concerned by how Reason looks you're probably doing it wrong.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

adfielding

08 Jun 2016

pushedbutton wrote:If you're most concerned by how Reason looks you're probably doing it wrong.
I think the look and feel of music software is incredibly important from usability perspective. Of course it's incredibly important for music software to actually sound good, but if it's unintuitive or horrible to look at then it follows that it's probably going to be horrible to work with. CSound might be fantastically versatile, but you won't find me using it for my music writing needs because it's not exactly the most user friendly option out there.

I've noticed a few people saying something along the lines of "who cares what it looks like, it's how it sounds that counts!" when it comes to genuine UI criticism, particularly with regards to REs. That's a valid opinion, but if I'm going to be working with something for hours on end then I don't want to be wrestling with a terrible or unattractive interface.

Reason's interface really clicks nicely with me, and it's a big factor in why I enjoy using it so much. The new themes aren't really my cup of tea but, hey, you can't please everyone.

• Information