Forum feature wish: Bandcamp embedding

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
platzangst

18 Jan 2015

SoundCloud is great and all, but right now I have two full albums and some assorted single tracks on my free SC account, and it's pretty much full. Meaning, if I have new music to share I'm faced with deleting stuff to make room or start shelling out money for an upgrade.

By contrast, BandCamp offers me unlimited space to stash music (they only take a cut of any actual sales I make, which isn't much to date), and they also have embeddable players if the forum in which you post isn't blocking HTML. (I know HTML blocking is a good thing for other reasons, don't get me wrong.)

I don't know how much of a pain it would be to enable BandCamp players to be embedded on a forum like this (while somehow retaining the protection of blocking HTML), but I thought it would be worth looking into. There's apparently some kind of tag you can use in Wordpress for BandCamp players, perhaps whatever this forum is could do the same?

Anyway, it'd sure make my music sharing easier...

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2015

I use Bandcamp as they are "album" friendly so sure, a nice feature if you can do it.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Lunesis

18 Jan 2015

This?

http://en.support.wordpress.com/audio/bandcamp/

I'm not sure just yet how to make it something you can click in the formatting bar but hopefully that will work for you for now.

platzangst

18 Jan 2015

Well, let's see if it does:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=690459318 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

That's me pasting in the BandCamp Wordpress code/tag. If it works, great, if not, there's something I'm missing about making it work.

Lunesis

18 Jan 2015

So if you get the html embed from Bandcamp, and then look to the right side of the formatting bar at the top of the text window here, you will see the HTML button. Just paste the embed code into that window and you should be g2g.

<a href="http://lunesis.bandcamp.com/track/summer-day" data-mce-href="http://lunesis.bandcamp.com/track/summer-day">Summer Day by Lunesis</a>

platzangst

18 Jan 2015

Lunesis wrote:and then look to the right side of the formatting bar at the top of the text window here, you will see the HTML button.
Actually, I don't. The furthest buttons right are Code, Quote, emoticons, and SpellCheck. I see no HTML editor. I've been checking my anti-script plug-ins to see if I have something blocked, but the only thing I haven't enabled yet is Facebook...

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Very cool that you got this embed to work. But like Platz, I also don't have the ability to switch the reply editor to HTML
My Words are my ART

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2015

Ok let's see

I don't see no HTML button. Do you have better permissions than us muck-crawlers  :roll:

Post-Human[/url] by Benedict Roff-Marsh

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Julibee

18 Jan 2015

Might the site appear differently on mobile? On iOS, I don't see any option for html, but in OSX Safari, it's there. Same for the chat in bottom right corner. Someone mentioned (Lunesis?) that on Android you could switch out of mobile mode, but I haven't seen that as an iOS option. Dunno if any of that helps.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Don't know about Benedict & Platz, but I'm using Firefox on a Windows OS desktop configuration, and I don't get the option to switch between HTML and WYSIWYG
My Words are my ART

platzangst

18 Jan 2015

I'm also using FireFox on Windows. I have seen the HTML/WYSIWYG button on other forums (the PUF has it), but it's not showing up for me here, even after disabling my script-blockers and other protections.

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2015

I'm using Chrome on Win7.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Sympleman

18 Jan 2015

This is possibly set visible to admin only in forum settings. Just a suggestion. I know phpbb has so many settings that it really becomes confusing.

platzangst

18 Jan 2015

Sympleman wrote:This is possibly set visible to admin only in forum settings. Just a suggestion. I know phpbb has so many settings that it really becomes confusing.
Apparently Jubilee can see it in Safari/OSX, so it's probably something related to browser/OS configurations. If it was an admin-only thing, that would mean Jubilee has access to permissions the rest of us "dabblers" don't, somehow...

I'm going to see if I can use (UGH) IE to see the button, but I'll probably have to log out on FireFox to do so.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm on IE and I still don't see the button.

Julibee

18 Jan 2015

Just jumped on OS X Safari to check... No html button. I must have been thinking of the [] button, which wraps code tags around selected text.  

I have Zero formatting options on iOS, which is what I was using at the time I made that post, so was working from my poor memory of what I thought I had seen in OS X.  I made a bad assumption. 

Sorry guys.  I'm just muck-crawling with the rest of y'all. ;)
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Lunesis

18 Jan 2015

Let me try logging into my muck-crawling account..

Elvis

18 Jan 2015

Indeed, it looks as though the html button is exclusive to admins. Let me do a bit of digging to see if I can rectify that.

(Yes, this is Lunesis)

Sympleman

18 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:Just jumped on OS X Safari to check... No html button. I must have been thinking of the [] button, which wraps code tags around selected text.  

I have Zero formatting options on iOS, which is what I was using at the time I made that post, so was working from my poor memory of what I thought I had seen in OS X.  I made a bad assumption. 

Sorry guys.  I'm just muck-crawling with the rest of y'all. ;)
Try THIS on iOS Safari to view desktop version. iOS 8 new feature.

I've also created a forum exactly like this and found no setting to enable HTML buttons for registered users.  Searched their site and it said to contact customer support and they are closed today.

Lunesis, did you find anything?  If not it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Ernst wrote:Indeed, it looks as though the html button is exclusive to admins. Let me do a bit of digging to see if I can rectify that.

(Yes, this is Lunesis)
You have appropriated the likeness and the name of the CEO from the company whose forum demise is the sole reason for this forum's inception? I'm not sure how professional that is, lunesis ! Not sure if there are legal implications by doing thtis, but there are certainly ethical ones

So are the Mattias and LudvicC accounts here also fakes?

My Words are my ART

Sympleman

18 Jan 2015

Ernst wrote:Indeed, it looks as though the html button is exclusive to admins. Let me do a bit of digging to see if I can rectify that.

(Yes, this is Lunesis)
Namahs Amrak wrote:
You have appropriated the likeness and the name of the CEO from the company whose forum demise is the sole reason for this forum's inception? I'm not sure how professional that is, lunesis ! Not sure if there are legal implications by doing thtis, but there are certainly ethical ones

Namahs Amrak wrote: 
:t2018: Part of testing but I do recommend creating a test forum visible only to administrators and your fake test registered users.

Lunesis

18 Jan 2015

(Yes, this is Lunesis)
Namahs Amrak wrote:

Namahs Amrak wrote: 
I was just being silly. I changed it just for you. Also, grats on being the first to reach Hobbyist!

The other two are real afaik.

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Lunesis wrote:
I was just being silly. I changed it just for you. Also, grats on being the first to reach Hobbyist!

Hey man, it's not for my benefit, I'm trying to protect you from any potential issues by misrepresenting the CEO's identity... the guy who's in charge of the very company that brings us all together.  Sure I might be a bit brash from time to time, but my intentions are to throw you some valuable feedback on maintaining a credible site that is already shaping up to be the #1 Reason forum on planet internet. Identity theft isn't a good look from an administrator :)

My Words are my ART

Lunesis

18 Jan 2015

Lunesis wrote:

Namahs Amrak wrote:
Hey man, it's not for my benefit, I'm trying to protect you from any potential issues by misrepresenting the CEO's identity... the guy who's in charge of the very company that brings us all together.  Sure I might be a bit brash from time to time, but my intentions are to throw you some valuable feedback on maintaining a credible site that is already shaping up to be the #1 Reason forum on planet internet. Identity theft isn't a good look from an administrator :)

Well, hopefully Elvis won't mind ;)  Do they have the internet on spaceships?

• Information