Where Reason stand in the chart of the most used DAW ?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Voyager

08 Dec 2016

I'm wondering where Reason stand in comparison to other daw's in term of usage/popularity.

I don't know why but i always had that feeling that Reason might be somewhere in the bottom list.
I feel that Reason is still not taken seriously and i think this was even more the case for the older versions of Reason, especially before Reason 6. We all once hear or read that somewhere "blabla the Reason sound blabla"

Ok i guess before Reason 6 many daw's were more far ahead but i think from Reason 6 and after they do so great work and catch up the gap between other daw's. Some people may say "it's because of Propellerhead plugin policies", it may be but i'm not sure it's the only argument.

So guys, what are your chart and what are your though ? discuss :thumbs_up: and long live to Reason :reason: :puf_smile:
Last edited by Voyager on 08 Dec 2016, edited 2 times in total.

The_G

08 Dec 2016

Lots more people use Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton, Cubase and FL Studio I'd guess, but it's likely that more people use Reason than Bitwig, Reaper or the other various DAWs.

And yes, I think it's absolutely due to Reason's plugin policy. Props have created a "closed system," which allows them to take a cut on every plugin sale at a cost of keeping the user base small. It's a business decision, and does have some benefits for Reason users (REs all designed to integrate seamlessly into Reason's rack). But this is also what keeps Reason from being more widely used. I mean, I love Reason, but I started using Logic a year ago as well because I wanted to use VST/AUs. If I could do that in Reason, I might just use Reason.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

selig
RE Developer

08 Dec 2016

The_G wrote:Lots more people use Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton, Cubase and FL Studio I'd guess, but it's likely that more people use Reason than Bitwig, Reaper or the other various DAWs.

And yes, I think it's absolutely due to Reason's plugin policy.
Interesting - do you mean to say that Reason was far more popular before REs were introduced, and suddenly became less popular?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

The_G

08 Dec 2016

selig wrote:
The_G wrote:Lots more people use Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton, Cubase and FL Studio I'd guess, but it's likely that more people use Reason than Bitwig, Reaper or the other various DAWs.

Interesting - do you mean to say that Reason was far more popular before REs were introduced, and suddenly became less popular?

Nope. I mean that having adopted the proprietary RE format, rather than the more standard VST (or AU), keeps Reason as a niche or boutique product. In some ways, it's analogous to Macs in the 90s--and that's fine. Like I said, there are advantages to doing it this way.

But I think there are a lot of people, like me, who only use other DAWs because you (a) can't use VST/AUs in Reason; and (b) don't even get free crossgrade from most developers* for those that are available in both formats. It is what it is.

*Synapse is a happy exception; I'm sure there are more.

[On the crossgrade issue, think about this example: imagine you are an FL Studio user who just bought a Mac. Can't use FL Studio on the Mac, so you need an alternative. What are you going to buy? Something awesome but which will require you to start over with the third-party plugins you've purchased over the years, or something that's also awesome and won't?]
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2016

It is an interesting question....
I only use reason, I did come across this...

Carol Rein

08 Dec 2016

selig wrote:

Excuse me, I don't want to answer a question addressed to another person, but I wished to answer this question from my own experience.
Since 2005 until 2008 I was still using Reason 3 and I wanted to update to R4 then I asked to my cousin because I knew he was already using R4
He told me "Yes, R4 is interesting, has Thor and some interesting updates but I now Reason is almost a thing of the past because what is booming now are the virtual instruments. Are much more realistic and have other benefits using them with Cubase"
Of course I didn't understand what the heck he was telling me... a virtual instrument? Isn't Reason a rack of virtual instruments? So what's the difference? How is that??
He loaned me a promotional mp3 disc about Vienna Symphonic Libraries and other demo songs made with that called "Virtual Instruments" and I could immediately appreciate the difference in matter of realism in the orchestrations, specially the sound articulations in soloists and also the overall pressence, as my cousin and I were always related to realistic accoustic orchestration, specially for soundtracks. So wow!! One of the most impressive for me was a particular demo called "Vienna Symphonic Library - Solo Strings - (Tipo Heroic) - MG_Ready_to_fight." Amazing!
But, for some reason I decided to wait for that jump and update to R4. I think the main reason was that I hate to change my modus operandi, it takes a lot of energy to re-learn a new UI from scratch. The other reason was that I don't usually do too much solos but mainly full orchestrations, ambience moods, so the articulation was not an urgency at that time.
That way I decided to stay with Reason, and now I'm still using R4 because there have been no changes in matter of samplers, NN-XT is still the same and now Combi isn't quite different than in earlier verisons.
I think that another aspect that certain people feel uncomfortable is the linear squencer in Reason, but that's ok for me as I really never use repetitive patterns, since in classical orchestration everything is changing all the time, nothing is repeated even once.
So, long story short, I think that loss of popularity comes from those years or even before.
But that's my humble opinion, I have not much experience, specially because I've always been working in a bubble.

Voyager

08 Dec 2016

The_G wrote:And yes, I think it's absolutely due to Reason's plugin policy. Props have created a "closed system,".
Personally first time i launched Reason i knew this would be the daw i'll work with. Reason in general inspire me when working while other daw's i tried are so fade and boring to work with in my opinion.

The thing is that in my home studio i don't have any hardware equipment, not that i don't like but i'm not that much an hardware guy ( Selig may know something about it :lol: ) but despite this Reason real hardware interface approach kind of filled that lack and i feel it's a good way to get into "hardware" without to cost an arm.

The VST plugins wasn't an argument for me because i think that Reason may have create a closed system but with high quality materials and everything within you need to make good sound.
The way i see it for increasing the workflow in general in my opinion is better having few modules and plugin extensions to work with and that you know very well instead of having a bunch of instruments and plugins all over the place and that you don't know how to use them effectively. The more choices you have the more you restrict your workflow in my opinon.

How many time i've read users having bought so many plugins and stuff and still not be able to finish their project or even didn't use some of them.. Most of them probably think that the more they possess the more they gonna create but in my opinions it's exactly the opposite that may happening. I don't want to generalize but i'm sure some people will recognize theirself in this.
Last edited by Voyager on 08 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

kitekrazy

08 Dec 2016

And yes, I think it's absolutely due to Reason's plugin policy. Props have created a "closed system," which allows them to take a cut on every plugin sale at a cost of keeping the user base small. It's a business decision, and does have some benefits for Reason users (REs all designed to integrate seamlessly into Reason's rack). But this is also what keeps Reason from being more widely used. I mean, I love Reason, but I started using Logic a year ago as well because I wanted to use VST/AUs. If I could do that in Reason, I might just use Reason.
It doesn't appeal to the masses. I don't think VST support will change anything. It's a unique way of creating music. There's enough end users out there where these is enough cash flow to be developed. People who do a lot of recording prefer other DAWs. If you are doing film music, Cubase usually rules. I doubt Trance producers waste their time with Pro Tools unless it is for mastering. Some people just refuse to believe DAWs are like apples and oranges. I don't understand why people have insecurity issues over their DAW of choice but so many do.

I didn't buy Reason because I thought it was the best DAW but because it was a different way of doing something.

kitekrazy

08 Dec 2016

Voyager wrote:
The_G wrote:And yes, I think it's absolutely due to Reason's plugin policy. Props have created a "closed system,".
Personally first time i launched Reason i knew this would be the daw i'll work with. Reason in general inspire me when working while other daw's i tried are so fade and boring to work with in my opinion.

The think is that in my home studio i don't have any hardware equipment, not that i don't like but i'm not that much an hardware guy ( Selig may know something about it :lol: ) but despite this Reason real hardware interface approach kind of filled that lack and i feel it's a good way to get into "hardware" without to cost an arm.

The VST plugins wasn't an argument for me because i think that Reason may have create a closed system but with high quality materials and everything within you need to make good sound.
The way i see it for increasing the workflow in general in my opinion is better having few modules and plugin extensions to work with and that you know very well instead of having a bunch of instruments and plugins all over the place and that you don't know how to use them effectively. The more choices you have the more you restrict your workflow in my opinon.

How many time i've read users having bought so many plugins and stuff and still not be able to finish their project or even didn't use some of them.. Most of them probably think that the more they possess the more they gonna create but in my opinions it's exactly the opposite that may happening. I don't want to generalize but i'm sure some people will recognize theirself in this.
That is the beauty of Reason.

Carol Rein

08 Dec 2016

Voyager wrote:
Personally first time i launched Reason i knew this would be the daw i'll work with.
Same here :)

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:It is an interesting question....

I'm not surprised. Not many people use Logic and Reason.

Voyager

08 Dec 2016

FL Studio in 1st ? Do they include the cracked ones in their statistic ? :lol:

The_G

08 Dec 2016

Noplan wrote:

Most of those (relative) numbers make sense. But I'm a bit unclear as to what is being measured and how. Are those sales numbers or usage? If sales, then the GB numbers are a bit weird as it comes free with Macs. If usage, how is it measured? (If from a survey, then sampling would have to be suitably random and large enough to be accurate.)

But if you were to take it at face value as a measure of reported sales, then one might guess that Logic's figures are depressed by the time period being pre-Pro x or being Mac exclusive.

However, without knowing what is being measured or how, I can't necessarily take it at face value. If it's a typical unscientific user poll, then it's prone to distortions and can't be trusted as an accurate reflection of the market.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2016

Voyager wrote:

FL Studio in 1st ? Do they include the cracked ones in their statistic ? :lol:
Probably as it's popularity rather than sales.... :)

selig
RE Developer

08 Dec 2016

The_G wrote:
selig wrote:

Nope. I mean that having adopted the proprietary RE format, rather than the more standard VST (or AU), keeps Reason as a niche or boutique product. In some ways, it's analogous to Macs in the 90s--and that's fine. Like I said, there are advantages to doing it this way.

But I think there are a lot of people, like me, who only use other DAWs because you (a) can't use VST/AUs in Reason; and (b) don't even get free crossgrade from most developers* for those that are available in both formats. It is what it is.

*Synapse is a happy exception; I'm sure there are more.

[On the crossgrade issue, think about this example: imagine you are an FL Studio user who just bought a Mac. Can't use FL Studio on the Mac, so you need an alternative. What are you going to buy? Something awesome but which will require you to start over with the third-party plugins you've purchased over the years, or something that's also awesome and won't?]
Oh, I get it - by "plug in policy" you don't mean REs, you mean the LACK of VSTs/AU, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

Selig Audio, LLC

normen

08 Dec 2016

kitekrazy wrote:There's enough end users out there where these is enough cash flow to be developed. People who do a lot of recording prefer other DAWs. If you are doing film music, Cubase usually rules. I doubt Trance producers waste their time with Pro Tools unless it is for mastering. Some people just refuse to believe DAWs are like apples and oranges. I don't understand why people have insecurity issues over their DAW of choice but so many do.

I didn't buy Reason because I thought it was the best DAW but because it was a different way of doing something.
This.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2016

The_G wrote:
Noplan wrote:

Most of those (relative) numbers make sense. But I'm a bit unclear as to what is being measured and how. Are those sales numbers or usage? If sales, then the GB numbers are a bit weird as it comes free with Macs. If usage, how is it measured? (If from a survey, then sampling would have to be suitably random and large enough to be accurate.)

But if you were to take it at face value as a measure of reported sales, then one might guess that Logic's figures are depressed by the time period being pre-Pro x or being Mac exclusive.

However, without knowing what is being measured or how, I can't necessarily take it at face value. If it's a typical unscientific user poll, then it's prone to distortions and can't be trusted as an accurate reflection of the market.
Look at the title of the graph, Popularity.. :)

This was the only other comment I found with the graph
"They measure in terms of online buzz, not sales. The data is pulled from internet search activity and engagement on social networks (not from likes and follows)."

Personally I don't care where Reason comes in sales or popularity as it's the only DAW I use so it's number one to me :D

The_G

08 Dec 2016

I see. Bizarre.

I wonder if there are reliable sales or (scientifically collected) usage figures?

The_G

08 Dec 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
The_G wrote:
Noplan wrote:

Look at the title of the graph, Popularity.. :)

This was the only other comment I found with the graph
"They measure in terms of online buzz, not sales. The data is pulled from internet search activity and engagement on social networks (not from likes and follows)."

Personally I don't care where Reason comes in sales or popularity as it's the only DAW I use so it's number one to me :D
I also love Reason. I have some issues with it, and use Logic as often, but I do love it.

raymondh

09 Dec 2016

I think the best DAW is the one you use most often.

Vince-Noir-99

09 Dec 2016

It's interesting because the question is about analysing trends, and this is inevitably linked to cultural aspects. I don't mean to say tech specs aren't to be considered, but rather, that the answer is very complex in the interactions between technology and culture.

For example: Ableton. As an early adopter I very well remember most producers and engineers frowning upon it due to its extreme limitations, which honestly are still carried on today (arranging and mixing aren't that smooth). BUT, deejayism became a thing and now the kids are saying Ableton is 'industry standard for idm' or something like that. Live, being a live performing software first of all, happened at the right time (with the rise of laptop music) and now deserves to be on the top of the charts. Also to be kept in mind is their brand image: Berlin based, dj-set friendly, uses Futura typeface and vapourwave colour palettes, has a flat interface since day-1 and has probably the most Bauhaus/minimalistic UI. Speaking of which, have you checked the new Final Cut? Flat dark UI... rumours have it Logic will be next!

Reason: without praising it since we all know its strengths here (and without mentioning the VST drama), what could possibly have prevented it from being on the top with Ableton? One thing that strikes me is probably its growth, which has been a bit inconsistent from a branding point of view, during the Record era.. I believe that may have left some scars in terms of public perception. Not saying Ableton growth has been perfect, in fact it's been (and is) a slow and painful one, check out their forums ;) Then, the 3d rack emulation is also something that clicks or it doesn't... but that could be said about the flatness of Ableton as well, with the only difference that, coincidentally, in these years flat UIs are more trendy.

Additionally, looking back at the mid-late 2000s, Reason seemed to me it was the weapon of choice for a lot of hip-hop beat makers. Fat beatz yo. That demographic ended up being outnumbered by hipster djs, so there's also that.

HepCat

09 Dec 2016

Hi there, check this thread out: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7496731

It has a Music Radar poll for 2016. Perhaps it supersedes this current thread.

For good measure, check out "The bitter truth about all those discussions about what DAW is better" viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7496608

As for the survey here:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote: Image
I am wondering how much of that has to do with OEM discs and licenses bundled with hardware.

Also, it would be nice to know which country's fiscal year is being used here. If USA, then Q4 ends 29 September? I guess the fullness of summer is when most parties occur, so maybe the jump in sales (yellow bar) is predicated on hardware sales. Would be nice to know how they measured popularity.

There's no doubt that Reason isn't #1, and probably isn't in the top 5 of the DAW world (?), I'm not partisan to any DAW (except .... don't buy Reaper).

My suggestions to the Propellerheads team:
- Check out the suggestions on this forum :D
- Sell workflow. Showcasing new features is great, but it likely gives joe Public significant brain freeze:-

What you really really need is to describe actual workflows from start to end, for a complete song. Yes, a complete song. To that end, maybe have a sophisticated song creation wizard. Of course more complex routes will branch off from the wizard's scheme, but try to avoid using phrases like "rtfm" and l'm sure you'll be on to a winner with this wizard idea.

jonheal

09 Dec 2016

Oh this is rich. You're the guy who was preaching at folks for watching cats getting scared by vegetables videos!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

HepCat

09 Dec 2016

jonheal wrote:Oh this is rich. You're the guy who was preaching at folks for watching cats getting scared by vegetables videos!
Hello, l was hoping nobody would recognise me from my previous preachy post on cat cruelty. Anyway the cats enjoyed the ice cream and they might just be having spiritual visions, no dramas.

In fact the cat brain freeze could also double as creative elan, that moment when you're in front of your DAW with head tilted, overcome with inspiration.

kitekrazy

09 Dec 2016

The_G wrote:I see. Bizarre.

I wonder if there are reliable sales or (scientifically collected) usage figures?
That is probably more about downloaded Demos. Scott at Image Line showed this information before. It doesn't reflect sales even though FL is the more affordable DAW on that list. It has simple authorization and probably has a lot of illegitimate users using cracks.

• Information