[DRUMS CONVERSATION]

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Last Alternative

08 Feb 2017

So I went across town today and picked up a Computer Music magazine (January 2017 issue) - I got one a year or so ago and forgot how awesome it is. Badass articles and tips and they always include a CD stuffed with killer drum samples & whatnot.
Got home and loaded up my new sounds/started reading the long in-depth article (with video tutorials) about beat writing in the top 10 genres and it mentions the best drum sampling companies: Loopmasters, Goldbaby, Sample Magic, Wave Alchemy, etc. and it got me doin some research. So now I'm listening to previews of some killer sh*t and trying not to blow my next few months of rent lol.
...I'm a giver when it comes to me and let's just say Christmas lasted a long time last year, spilling into this year as a matter of fact. I didn't buy any RE's; I hit up a fuckload of drum stuff though! So far from what I've found, That Sound and Black Octopus are my faves and I probably blew $500 on Black Octopus in the last few months... hey everything was on sale, of course! And it's gonna take a fortnight to organize, mind you ;)
Anyway, now I'm sipping rum whilst sifting thru Loopmasters' stuff and wow!
See, I like all kindsa sh*t from lo-fi old school analog keyboard drums to 'post-modern' hybrid to purely electronic and crisp.. I just love making frankendrum-kits mixed with acoustic and electronic and I seem to be forever on the hunt for bangin kicks mostly - to where it fits the song and no processing is required. Same with snares, etc. but mostly kicks for whatever reason. Not too big on the atmospheric stuff due to not using that sorta thing too often anyway and I never use loops but I mean for fux sake I have over 20gigs of drum 1-shots! It's a multi-day endeavor to finally land on the sounds I like for a song. When does it end?!

Anyway, what's your faves?
~Jace

P.S. Check out Benedict's new album if you haven't yet. Let him take you on a journey :cool:
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/
Last edited by Last Alternative on 08 Feb 2017, edited 3 times in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

OldGoat

08 Feb 2017

Silicon Beats (currently 60%-Sale): http://www.siliconbeats.com/

Peter

08 Feb 2017

I have pretty specific favorites for my techno-influenced music.

Wave Alchemy 909 Tape
Toolshed Junkyard Percussion
Soundscan World Percussion
Vengeance Minimal House

I have lots of sample packs but those are my go-to favorites. I don't think I'll need anything else especially with my Tascam recorder. I don't build drum kits and I produce drum tracks from scratch. I'm pretty good at doing my own little fills but I've messed around with Props A-List Studio drummer for fills in a few tracks. I admit it's easier to do random things like that in electronic music than rock though because drums don't need to be as coherent in electronic music IMO.

Last Alternative

08 Feb 2017

For real. Most electronic beats are impossible for one human drummer to play. You got 3 high hats, a tambourine, kick, snare and bongo all striking at once. Haha
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

08 Feb 2017

XLN Audio Addictive Drums... only 1 kit off the full library (again)

Absolutely delicious kits, drag and drop MIDI and audio all within... and done some EMI link back from Reason to XLN and recorded back to Reason track, having the onboard XLN audio recorder allows drag and drop to Reason sequencer with no 'file save' in the middle!! super fast super slick

Peter

08 Feb 2017

Last Alternative wrote:For real. Most electronic beats are impossible for one human drummer to play. You got 3 high hats, a tambourine, kick, snare and bongo all striking at once. Haha
Sometimes I just pretend a few people are making music for me as I dance around the room - drinking and smoking.

mataya

08 Feb 2017

Native Instruments Syntetic Drums vol1 and vol2 are still my favorites. I got them on a cd rom. :)

HepCat

08 Feb 2017

Zero G Datafiles (1, 2, and 3). The old ways are best. I have more drum samples than l can shake a stick at, from other sources too e.g. factory discs etc. but l haven't even listened to them, l guess ppl get more picky the more pro they are (before l discovered computer music l was happy to bash a biro against the side of my desk, got some pretty decent sounds and all).

slightlyprog

08 Feb 2017

I'm doing classic rock, some slightly more retro rock and some prog. So for me it has been a quest to get real sounding drum tracks. My favourite loops are from The Loop Loft. It can take a lot of time auditioning and trying things but so far I think the best sounding drums on the stuff I'm working on now are from The Loop Loft. I have samples from the Prop shop including BFD core, Sonic Reality, etc. and got the Studio Drummer RE a while back. I'm using a bit of everything, including hiring drummers. For a different project that is an 80's inspired thing, I found a huge stash of electronic single-hit drum sounds (can't remember what it's called), and also Jiggery Pokery Kings of Kong.

Last Alternative

08 Feb 2017

For me a few years ago I started out on the same acoustic drum quest and I have to say RDK2 & Alt Drums kept me going for a while but were a major letdown compared to That Sound. Check this out for example: http://www.iwantthatsound.com/product/d ... ing-drums/
I have all their stuff and a new one is coming soon that I'm really looking forward to called Boots + Claps.
Maybe I need to check out PH's A-list drummer but really I wish Reason had something like Drum ROMpler. But maybe something like that is on the way with the new SDK.

• Information