Marmite vs Vegemite

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Let's settle this once and for all. 
Which is best?

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Well, you need to consider that the formula for vegemite has changed, so maybe it should be Marmite vs Classic Vegemite vs New Vegemite.

I noticed a change in the flavour a few months ago, checked it out and lo & behold they now make it using yeast spawned on wheat grain as well as barley, whereas before it was just barley. Also, the Kraft branding has been removed and is now listed as Mondolez Foods (still a Kraft company). AN unfortunate business name for the Russian market, if a recent IB Times article is anything to go by:

"........in Russia, Mondelez sounds pretty vulgar. The first two syllables sound like a profane way to refer
to female genitalia, and the last syllable roughly resembles a verb meaning oral sex."
My Words are my ART

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Well, you need to consider that the formula for vegemite has changed, so maybe it should be Marmite vs Classic Vegemite vs New Vegemite.

I noticed a change in the flavour a few months ago, checked it out and lo & behold they now make it using yeast spawned on wheat grain as well as barley, whereas before it was just barley. Also, the Kraft branding has been removed and is now listed as Mondolez Foods (still a Kraft company). AN unfortunate business name for the Russian market, if a recent IB Times article is anything to go by:

"........in Russia, Mondelez sounds pretty vulgar. The first two syllables sound like a profane way to refer
to female genitalia, and the last syllable roughly resembles a verb meaning oral sex."
What??? You're kidding me?? 
I haven't had a jar of Vegemite in six months unfortunately (I'm in the USA), so I wouldn't have noticed the change. My last stash was 4 big jars from last Christmas that lasted 6 months. Been surviving on Marmite since. 
I can't believe they'd have changed the flavour!?!
That reeks of Classic Coke vs New Coke as a result of the Pepsi taste test.

Lunesis

18 Jan 2015

Where's Dolemite?

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote: What??? You're kidding me?? 
I haven't had a jar of Vegemite in six months unfortunately (I'm in the USA), so I wouldn't have noticed the change. My last stash was 4 big jars from last Christmas that lasted 6 months. Been surviving on Marmite since. 
I can't believe they'd have changed the flavour!?!
That reeks of Classic Coke vs New Coke as a result of the Pepsi taste test.
It's OK, some say they don't notice the difference at all. To me it was obvious (ie I picked up on it before ever reading that the formula had changed), but I actually like the new flavour. It's only subtley different.

Personally I'm going to switch to Dick Smith's brand anyway, to support local industry, so this jar of vegemite will be my last.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

This is what the Cunnilingus edition jar looks like. Note the absence of a Kraft logo

My Words are my ART

Wook

18 Jan 2015

What's all this stuff?  :D

Never saw it in supermarkets here. Found it online in specialized stores though. Now i'm curious.

Ever had kaviar in a tube? Swedes are crazy about it. It's very salty, smokey and well... fishy.

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Wook wrote:What's all this stuff?
It's a jar of dark brown paste that is a yeast extract chock full of vitamin B.

Outside of Australia, Vegemite is often seen as a bizarre food product. Aussies though, virtually every household will have a jar in the pantry. Best used as a spread on buttered toast.

That tube food looks very unusual, I'll keep an eye out for it in the food section of Ikea and give it a try.
My Words are my ART

Wook

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
It's a jar of dark brown paste that is a yeast extract chock full of vitamin B.

Outside of Australia, Vegemite is often seen as a bizarre food product. Aussies though, virtually every household will have a jar in the pantry. Best used as a spread on buttered toast.

That tube food looks very unusual, I'll keep an eye out for it in the food section of Ikea and give it a try.
Thanks Karma. I'll buy one jar to try. I never had caviar from a tube before moving to Sweden. Now there's always one in the fridge.

When it comes to bizzare food, my country has plenty. I'm from Croatia. It's a small central/southern Europe country. This is one of those bizzare thingies. It's pork fat that has been cooked and then brutally pressed into small pieces.

Apologies to the OP for going offtopic.

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Wook wrote:

No apologies necessary. I'm all about conversation flow.
And that's fascinating. Both the tubed caviar and the fried pork fat!

Wook

18 Jan 2015

Wook wrote:

Yorick wrote:
No apologies necessary. I'm all about conversation flow.
And that's fascinating. Both the tubed caviar and the fried pork fat!
Awesome. 

It might sound disgusting but it's really tasty and crunchy.  :D

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

You better talk to me or Yorick when you buy a jar, and we can advise you on how to eat vegemite. There are some Youtube videos where people try it by the spoonful. That's not that way it's done !
My Words are my ART

Wook

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:You better talk to me or Yorick when you buy a jar, and we can advise you on how to eat vegemite. There are some Youtube videos where people try it by the spoonful. That's not that way it's done !
Will do. For now, there is a store in Stockholm that has Vegemite and English Marmite. Some other similar things too but i'll go there and check it out.

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:You better talk to me or Yorick when you buy a jar, and we can advise you on how to eat vegemite. There are some Youtube videos where people try it by the spoonful. That's not that way it's done !
Unless you're my daughter! 
Actually as a kid I used to eat it by the spoonful too. 
I was a Vegemite junkie! :)

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Wook wrote: Will do. For now, there is a store in Stockholm that has Vegemite and English Marmite. Some other similar things too but i'll go there and check it out.
English Marmite blows away New Zealand Marmite btw. 
Actually Sanitarium tried to ban a guy from importing the English variety (which came before it)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food- ... UK-Marmite

Wook

18 Jan 2015

Haha. Marmite Wars.

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Wook wrote:Haha. Marmite Wars.
Oh man it's serious! When I've admitted to my family that I like Marmite, they can't believe it. I have to clarify that the English version is very different to the Sanitarium/New Zealand one. 

It's tangier and runnier than Vegemite. 
Vegemite is more solid, and less tangy.
To say the same thing twice and repeat myself.

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:I like Marmite
I have reported you to Canberra, and am pushing to have your Australian citizenship revoked.
My Words are my ART

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:I like Marmite
Namahs Amrak wrote:
I have reported you to Canberra, and am pushing to have your Australian citizenship revoked.
Crap, was that my outside voice?

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Idle hands are the Devil's workshop. You should watch what your fingers are typing.
My Words are my ART

eusti

18 Jan 2015

I think I tried one of those before, but it seems to be an acquired taste... Can't say I was convinced...
But as a kid I loved to put some Maggi on gray bread...

D.

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.
which reminds me of....

raymondh

18 Jan 2015

I don't know why you guys need to discuss this, the answer is pretty simple: http://marmite.co.nz/

:s0225:

Image  Image  Image 

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

raymondh wrote:I don't know why you guys need to discuss this, the answer is pretty simple: http://marmite.co.nz/
Don't expect to get through Australian Customs with that attitude, ya bloody Kiwi :s0221:
My Words are my ART

raymondh

19 Jan 2015

raymondh wrote:I don't know why you guys need to discuss this, the answer is pretty simple: http://marmite.co.nz/
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Don't expect to get through Australian Customs with that attitude, ya bloody Kiwi :s0221:
Hahahaha!! When I visit my work head office in Melbourne I continue to roll out the one about how I was surprised they let me into the country when I couldn't tick the box that I had a criminal conviction.

I still find that one hilarious, but for some reason my Aussie friends don't.  :s0826:

When we're done with this one, we can start up the question on where Pavlova comes from  :s0238:

• Information