the price of peace

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
demt

03 Jul 2017

Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jonheal

03 Jul 2017

I live in the Washington, DC suburbs. I also work for Trump in that I work for the Department of Agriculture, which makes The Donald my boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss. I stay hidden under my desk as much as possible.

Anyway, It is abundantly clear to me that Eisenhower was 100% on the mark when he warned about the "military industrial complex" 60 years ago.

Arms are one of America's few remaining significant industrial exports, and companies producing weapons are one of the most powerful lobbying forces in Washington. If there is spare money to be spent, it is spent on arms. Trump is attempting to affect a roughly 15% budget cut across most Executive Agencies. Most of that "savings" is slated to go right to the Department of Defense.

I think ISIS/Al Queda are pure evil, but I do wonder how they would respond if the US simply pulled its bases out of Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Mideast.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

demt

03 Jul 2017

So
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jonheal

03 Jul 2017

So?

I was agreeing with you (in an admittedly roundabout way) that in addition to the US's, maybe the economies of other western nations — thanks to political paranoia — are held captive by the arms industry.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

gak

04 Jul 2017

Not sure I'm following.

The US spends more on military than anyone looks like. However, our enemies are far and wide. Brittan spends quite a bit per capita at about 80 billion (that's high) but again, they have quite a few enemies.

I'm not sure what to make of China. They seem to spend quite a bit less per capita, but they are not at war with anyone. Russia isn't really that high.

But I don't understand the point of this? If you don't have defense, and you do have some strategic value, you are in trouble. We're not wonderful creatures that care. Oh some do, but most would rather fight.

Then again, w/o the military spending, there wouldn't be anywhere near as many jobs. Tough nut to crack if you ask me. We're very low in "people" intelligence (I'm in my 50's, it's all the same crap)

demt

04 Jul 2017

its the same old crap with add an email and sign a petition possibly 2 mins of your time

louder n louder is hear now
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information