fine-tuning a device thats bypassed - have we all been there?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Popey
Competition Winner

05 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2022
Popey wrote:
05 May 2022

Ah I don't think I ever skated any of them. Were these all in Scotland? You must have had better concrete than down my way 😄
Yeah, they built a load of “new towns” and everything was super modern. Concrete abstract art, big shopping centers with novelty clocks. Now they are all empty and the people are gone.
A guy I know mid 80s worked in a skate shop in Glasgow called Clan Skate. Awesome skater and breakdancer. He was on his way to move to Holland to skate professionally. Him and his girlfriend were play fighting with each other and she had one of those compasses for drawing circles. She took a playful swipe at him and caught his eye and pulled out the lens. That fucked up his depth perception and his chances of being then next Tony Hawks.
Clan skates rings a bell, was their logo a cross or similar. perhaps I saw an advert in rad magazine or a sticker somewhere. That sucks about the guys eye and his career. I went all over the UK skating from a young age but too brittle to do it now, kept breaking bones.

plaamook

05 May 2022

Jesus.
I guess I was fortunate that back in the skate rat days my girlfriend only attacked me playfully w a bowling pin.
Feckin hurt too. She hit me right on the bone of my ankle which swelled up so bad I couldn’t skate for ages.
Though to be fair I was never gonna be the next anything even if she hasn’t.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

EdGrip

06 May 2022

As others have said, it's plain old confirmation bias and it's already well understood. You expect to experience a particular outcome, so you do. Much of the hi-fi industry is built on this.

Chizmata

06 May 2022

EdGrip wrote:
06 May 2022
Much of the hi-fi industry is built on this.
what? how? like in making consumers think something is better because its more expensive?

motuscott

06 May 2022

Chizmata wrote:
06 May 2022
EdGrip wrote:
06 May 2022
Much of the hi-fi industry is built on this.
what? how? like in making consumers think something is better because its more expensive?
Have I got some speaker cables for you!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Chizmata

06 May 2022

motuscott wrote:
06 May 2022
Chizmata wrote:
06 May 2022

aaah that one :|

moofi

06 May 2022

One similar perception thing comes to mind. Like when listening to a rhythm and hearing an offset version of it like it doesn´t sound like starting on 1 but let´s say 5 or anything shifted. Happens aswell when just entering a club because it´s where I potentially pick up the rhythm initially. First have to swap that mental perception twist to get it in line again or vice versa.

motuscott

06 May 2022

Those are the best! I do this all the time when making beats with machines
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EdGrip

07 May 2022

motuscott wrote:
06 May 2022
Chizmata wrote:
06 May 2022

Just what I was going to say!

Remember the golden hi-fi rule - whatever your budget for the entire hi-fi setup, budget at least 10x that amount for cables.

plaamook

08 May 2022

moofi wrote:
06 May 2022
One similar perception thing comes to mind. Like when listening to a rhythm and hearing an offset version of it like it doesn´t sound like starting on 1 but let´s say 5 or anything shifted. Happens aswell when just entering a club because it´s where I potentially pick up the rhythm initially. First have to swap that mental perception twist to get it in line again or vice versa.
Yeah that’s great. I ocassionally aim for things that easily shift like that. Love it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

mimidancer

09 May 2022

Chizmata wrote:
03 May 2022
ok it happened to me and i know it happened to others: you fine-tune a knob until the nuances of the sound are to your liking (preferably on EQ or Comp, but it can be anything), then you realize the thing wasnt even active in the chain. so what did you hear?

i was wondering if the changes arent all imagined but have reasons outside the actual sound. things i can think of:

- actual small shifts in your body like movement of facial muscles might change the way a sound hits your ear drum and therefore really changes what you hear
- shifting your focus mentally in expectation of a sound change may change your subjective impression
-a combination of both

whats your take? does it happen to you? has science actually looked at this phenomenon?
In the end, it is all in your head. I am a pediatrician. When I am examining a patient, I rarely suggest symptoms early in an assessment. It is important to hear a complaint in its entirety from the patient and their parents before one injects other ideas into their minds. If I ask too early my suggestions will be integrated into their chief complaint most of the time. Like them when you see the knob turn you have an expectation. Trust what you hear. Mix with your ears. Your eyes will lie to you. Sorry to ramble. But my opinion is your eyes deceive you.

moofi

11 May 2022

One of the first songs I created in Reason used changing rhythm perception during the beginning´s build-up where every drum/percussion element added changed the rhythmical appearance until the bassdrum on the actual one set it straight.
plaamook wrote:
08 May 2022
moofi wrote:
06 May 2022
Yeah that’s great. I ocassionally aim for things that easily shift like that. Love it.

• Information