Controller suggestions for use with Reason?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Enterface

21 Jul 2015

I am very interested in the Akai MPK249 for use with Reason. It seems to be the Cadillac of performance controllers at the moment. I really like the MPC style percussion pads with the note repeat functionality as well as the built in arpeggiator and also the assignable fader, rotary knob, button section for macro assignments to Combinator patches. I know that Akai mainly focuses on developing hardware for use with Ableton but how well does this controller integrate with Reason? Does anyone have any other suggestions of other controllers that might be a better fit for use with Reason?

keeverw

21 Jul 2015

Have you ever personally played an Akai MPK?
I have and I find the key action pretty terrible. Other than that they do seem to be good stuff, but I play piano and I can't get over the action. It's really stiff.

I have always been really happy with M-Audio products. Their new Code series looks promising.
Aside from some hardware issues that are being repaired on mine, I am pretty happy with the Axiom-Pro 61 I have.

Also, I think the Behringer Motor controller looks pretty cool. But without knowing more about it, I'd be hesitant to jump into one.

But it is a pretty widely accepted fact that the Nektar Panorama series controllers are by far the most suited for use with Reason. Coupled with the outstanding manufacturer updates and ongoing support.
If it weren't for the price tag (which isn't unreasonable, but just out of my budget for now) I would already have one.

To be honest, I think Akai would probably be my last choice. Mainly just because of the action.

Goan

21 Jul 2015

I'm using Push and retouchcontrols PusheR script.It's incredibly useful!
Goan doesn't do Goa, he likes samples, weirdness, beats
Tools of choice: Reason, iPad, MicroBrute
Listen: http://adamagon.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... e-remix-ep

Enterface

21 Jul 2015

I did see the M-Audio Code soon to be released and it looks great. I like the fact that you can assign keys/controllers to ASCI key commands. Looks really slick. I guess my first M-Audio Oxygen controller left a bad taste in my mouth due to the cheap plastic build quality and rotary knobs that would fall off and get lost. Does anybody know if the M-Audio Code series will have note repeat functionality similar to that of the Akai products?

I have looked into the Nectar Panorama P4. It looks great and I like how it seems to be more deeply integrated with Reason but I'm not too keen on the 12 pad configuration in comparison to the 16 pads and the extra cost is not worth the motorized fader, IMO. Maybe I'm missing some of the key features?

In the past I have tried to stay away from Behringer. I have associated their brand with low budget garbage but maybe they are getting better, especially since acquiring Midas. Maybe it's time to give them another chance?

Also been looking into the Arutria KeyLab 49, which would be my second choice but I don't think that it has the note repeat or arpeggiator functionality that I want.

Thank you for your suggestions. Other controller recommendations are welcomed and will be considered.
Last edited by Enterface on 21 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Enterface

21 Jul 2015

Goan wrote:I'm using Push and retouchcontrols PusheR script.It's incredibly useful!
I have been very interested in Push for use with Ableton and I LOVE the solid build quality but I have never considered it as a controller for Reason. How does this "PusheR" script work?

Enterface

21 Jul 2015

Enterface wrote:
Goan wrote:I'm using Push and retouchcontrols PusheR script.It's incredibly useful!
I have been very interested in Push for use with Ableton and I LOVE the solid build quality but I have never considered it as a controller for Reason. How does this "PusheR" script work?
I'm reading about this now. Looks really cool. I had not considered Push as an option. Thank you for the suggestion.

keeverw

21 Jul 2015

Enterface wrote:I did see the M-Audio Code soon to be released and it looks great. I like the fact that you can assign keys/controllers to ASCI key commands. Looks really slick. I guess my first M-Audio Oxygen controller left a bad taste in my mouth due to the cheap plastic build quality and rotary knobs that would fall off and get lost. Does anybody know if the M-Audio Code series will have note repeat functionality similar to that of the Akai products?

I have looked into the Nectar Panorama P4. It looks great and I like how it seems to be more deeply integrated with Reason but I'm not too keen on the 12 pad configuration in comparison to the 16 pads and the extra cost is not worth the motorized fader, IMO. Maybe I'm missing some of the key features?

In the past I have tried to stay away from Behringer. I have associated their brand with low budget garbage but maybe they are getting better, especially since acquiring Midas. Maybe it's time to give them another chance?

Also been looking into the Arutria KeyLab 49, which would be my second choice but I don't think that it has the note repeat or arpeggiator functionality that I want.

Thank you for your suggestions. Other controller recommendations are welcomed and will be considered.
The Oxygen series is the cheapest series M-Audio offers, so keep that in mind.
Although I own an Oxygen-49 MK3, and I really like it for what it is. I only use it as a secondary controller, so I really don't use the knobs or buttons very much, but it seems pretty solid for the price I paid (less than $100).

I think others can explain the benefits of the Nektar Panorama better than I, since I don't own one.
I think the motorized fader is just icing on an already delicious cake. I don't think it's a main selling point. I believe the layouts of all the Reason devices are stored on the Panorama, and lets say you have a Thor selected, on the large color display (which most controllers don't have) it will show the name of the device "Thor" and the track name "Lead Synth-1" for example, and under that it will show the basic layout of controls that are pre-assigned to the Thor's controls. Turn a knob on the panorama, and you not only instantly know what you are controlling on the Thor, but you get feedback to the control's present setting, all without ever looking at your computer.
I use Reason live a lot, and I can tell you it would be nice to not have to keep turning my head between songs to make sure I have the right track selected to control the appropriate device, etc.

Not to mention I believe the fader section shows up in Reason as a seperate controller, so it can be locked to the SSL mixer for example, while the keyboard and knobs can control whatever track is selected.

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of details out, but you get the idea.

As for Behringer, I feel the same way. But our church purchased an X-32 mixer a year ago, and I had my reservations, but now that I've seen it in action for a year, I am truly impressed. I know the motorized faders on the Motor controller are the same ones as on the X-32 mixer, and I believe the LED rings on the rotaries are also the same. So it's probably a solid controller. But the display is where it lacks for me. I'd much rather have a display like on the Panorama, even if it meant sacrificing some motorized faders.

tumar

21 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:
I think others can explain the benefits of the Nektar Panorama better than I, since I don't own one.
I think the motorized fader is just icing on an already delicious cake. I don't think it's a main selling point. I believe the layouts of all the Reason devices are stored on the Panorama, and lets say you have a Thor selected, on the large color display (which most controllers don't have) it will show the name of the device "Thor" and the track name "Lead Synth-1" for example, and under that it will show the basic layout of controls that are pre-assigned to the Thor's controls. Turn a knob on the panorama, and you not only instantly know what you are controlling on the Thor, but you get feedback to the control's present setting, all without ever looking at your computer.
I use Reason live a lot, and I can tell you it would be nice to not have to keep turning my head between songs to make sure I have the right track selected to control the appropriate device, etc.

I got Panorama P4. Yes, LCD with Reason controllers on it is a huge benefit. However, it's a bit problematic for me, because Panorama uses its own screen layout,totally different than Reason. For example: Panorama shows Thor (Maelstrom, Subtractor... ) controllers in tabs like "oscilators", "lfo", "effects". It's logical, Panorama LCD is to small to keep all synth options - but you have to skip between screens and controllers.

There is no editor software for Panorama, you depend on Nektartech upgrades - last for Mac was done 11, 2014. So you have no maps for any RE published after that date.

Actually, except the LCD, you can do this all with any midi keyboard - just use Remote Overriding and Reason premade midi maps.

keeverw

21 Jul 2015

tumar wrote: Actually, except the LCD, you can do this all with any midi keyboard - just use Remote Overriding and Reason premade midi maps.
As far as Remote overriding goes, I think that's the whole point of these boards that can have all of the controls set up for you, to save you the trouble of doing all that overriding. You can do anything with remote overrides, but it's a hassle. And then when you move to another device, your overrides don't change.

But as far as midi maps go, can you explain that a little more?

Also the feedback is a big deal.
Otherwise you just have to remember what slider and knobs are assigned to which controls.

I noticed this was a big improvement going from my old Axiom to my new Axiom Pro.

tumar

21 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote: But as far as midi maps go, can you explain that a little more?
I'm on Mac, so go to /Libraries/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote/Maps. Then you can find maps for some popular controllers, you can see control assign or even change it to make it more suitable for you. Any .remotemap file can be edited with text editor. For example, I changed controllers map for my Korg Nanokontrol to make it perfect controller for Ochen Looper.

Enterface

21 Jul 2015

tumar wrote:
keeverw wrote: But as far as midi maps go, can you explain that a little more?
I'm on Mac, so go to /Libraries/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote/Maps. Then you can find maps for some popular controllers, you can see control assign or even change it to make it more suitable for you. Any .remotemap file can be edited with text editor. For example, I changed controllers map for my Korg Nanokontrol to make it perfect controller for Ochen Looper.
Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBdIkdF8fE

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2015

I think the important thing with a keyboard\midi controller is not what the controller can do for you but what you want the controller to do.

Once you have that worked out then see what controllers are out there to meet those needs.

I do own a Nektar P4 and a Oxygen 49.
I would say I use the Oxygen 49 about 70% of the time and the P4 30%.
This is many down to my setup, my Oxygen I run down stairs via a USB extender and I Terminal serve (remove desktop or whatever it's called now) to my PC upstairs (also have an audio cable running down) and I tend to spend more time down stairs. The Oxygen is a very light Keyboard (the P4 very heavy). It only takes seconds to remote map the sliders and knobs.
So which one is best, the P4 by miles, there are a couple of features on there I really love, the view (Mix, rack and sequencer) buttons, the track change buttons, the bank (patch) change buttons, the other thing I love about the sliders they don't engage until they are slide up\down to the current value. example, if my sliders are set on both my P4 and Oxygen all the way down and in this example I have then set to one of the mix channels at 0db, as soon as I move the slider on the Oxygen the volume in this case is cut off as that value is sent straight away, on the P4 you have to move the slider all the way up to the 0db position and then it engages so you can start to adjust the volume (you get to see the engage point on a pretty little picture so you are not totally in the dark of when it will be engaged). There is also a bank of buttons you can assign keyboard macro's too which I have found use full as it means you stay more focused on your keyboard controller and not have to switch to the PC keyboard.
I would pay more for a keyboard if all the sliders and knobs were motorised, the one motorized fader to me it not even icing (as icing can serve a purpose of holding the cake together) but more a pretty bow on the top (which you would remove to eat the cake).
Small point, the P4 does take 2 USB connections and yes Reason does see 2 controllers so you can lock the sliders to the master section. It's also a good looking keyboard...

Final note on the Oxygen 49, I did not pay much for it (about £50), so it's cheap, very plastic, just box standard to look at and as a keyboard controller it serves my purpose well.

Good luck on your search and whatever controller you get maybe you can do a little review for others :)

Leighbeater

24 Jul 2015

Highly recommend Push as well, having lots of fun with it

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Jul 2015

tumar wrote:
There is no editor software for Panorama, you depend on Nektartech upgrades - last for Mac was done 11, 2014. So you have no maps for any RE published after that date.
Yes, they have been focused on Bitwig since January. "Splittahs!" ;)

But it's simply not really true that one depends on Nektartech upgrades for mapping, though. While the (slightly) more complex bespoke aspects of their Remote script are more awkward, for example, the paging, if you're happy without the paging and just need 1-to-1 knob-to-device maps, you can still simply add the standard Remote maps for your devices as you would with any other controller.

freeQlow

24 Jul 2015

My friend let me pick out a setup for him.
Monitors, Interface, Keyboard, Reason.

He bought the Triton Taktile 49. It's pretty nice.

I would say which DAW/S and VSTS you use the most would play a major factor in your decision.

I had a mpk49 and gifted it to a friends new setup.
I now have a small 225 for the desk. It needed an update for 8, just be prepared for any updates for any controller.

Good luck, hope it works out. It is a pretty keyboard

QVprod

25 Jul 2015

If Reason is you main workspace, stay away from M-Audio unless you want to map all your parameters yourself. The absolute best choice for Reason is a Nektar Panorama due to the control capabilities that no other controller compares to. The controller's only limited by Reason's own limitations. the 12 pads thing is a complete non issue unless you somehow think you're gonna play all 16 pads in one go (highly unlikely) as the top row of pads banks so you can still control all 16 pads of Kong. If the functionality is more than what you need I'd probably go for the Impact series.

I haven't touched the new Akai MPK2 but the original had the worst, extra stiff, and practically unplayable keys imaginable, which to me made it worthless to me despite all the other bells and whistles it has. I didn't care much for the pads either.

All in all, get the Panorama if you want fantastic control of Reason (or any of the other supported DAWs), but if you're fine with basic transport control and very minimal control of other devices, other controllers can get the job done.

tronam

25 Jul 2015

QVprod wrote:If Reason is you main workspace, stay away from M-Audio unless you want to map all your parameters yourself. The absolute best choice for Reason is a Nektar Panorama due to the control capabilities that no other controller compares to. The controller's only limited by Reason's own limitations. the 12 pads thing is a complete non issue unless you somehow think you're gonna play all 16 pads in one go (highly unlikely) as the top row of pads banks so you can still control all 16 pads of Kong. If the functionality is more than what you need I'd probably go for the Impact series.

I haven't touched the new Akai MPK2 but the original had the worst, extra stiff, and practically unplayable keys imaginable, which to me made it worthless to me despite all the other bells and whistles it has. I didn't care much for the pads either.

All in all, get the Panorama if you want fantastic control of Reason (or any of the other supported DAWs), but if you're fine with basic transport control and very minimal control of other devices, other controllers can get the job done.
How is the Panorama's keybed action? After a recent visit to my local Guitar Center I was sorely disappointed by the miserably cheap keyboard action of almost all the main brand MIDI controllers. The only one that felt good was the NI Komplete Kontrol, which unsurprisingly uses the superior FATAR keybed. Apparently you have to move up to the SL MKII range to get FATAR from Novation, but they didn't have it on display at this GC. I don't know of many others that license it, likely due to the increased cost, but to me it's entirely worth it.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

EnochLight

25 Jul 2015

Nektar's Panorama keyboard action is "average" IMHO. It's not bad by any stretch, but it might not be as sublime as the FATAR stuff, but it's the entire package that makes the Panorama series the only keyboard controller (IMHO) that a Reasoner should consider. It's the OS that integrates with controlling native Reason devices & RE's that makes it so invaluable. Pads are "eh" (I picked up an M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro for my pad stuff), but overall the Nektar stuff still rules Reason, some years after it came out even still.

I batch and moan that Nektar have dropped the ball lately for updating firmware and supporting new RE's, but it sill takes the crown for deep control in Reason, to this day.

Guitar Center offers a 30-day money back guarantee for all of the stuff you buy from them. Sweetwater offers the same. Give a Panorama a try - I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

25 Jul 2015

tronam wrote:
QVprod wrote:If Reason is you main workspace, stay away from M-Audio unless you want to map all your parameters yourself. The absolute best choice for Reason is a Nektar Panorama due to the control capabilities that no other controller compares to. The controller's only limited by Reason's own limitations. the 12 pads thing is a complete non issue unless you somehow think you're gonna play all 16 pads in one go (highly unlikely) as the top row of pads banks so you can still control all 16 pads of Kong. If the functionality is more than what you need I'd probably go for the Impact series.

How is the Panorama's keybed action? After a recent visit to my local Guitar Center I was sorely disappointed by the miserably cheap keyboard action of almost all the main brand MIDI controllers. The only one that felt good was the NI Komplete Kontrol, which unsurprisingly uses the superior FATAR keybed. Apparently you have to move up to the SL MKII range to get FATAR from Novation, but they didn't have it on display at this GC. I don't know of many others that license it, likely due to the increased cost, but to me it's entirely worth it.
As Enoch said, I wouldn't call the keys on the Panorama "amazing" but its the best feeling non-weighted midi controller I've ever personally played. I personally think the keys even better than the Novation SL MKII as they're more versatile. It's a nice happy medium thats suitable for both synth and piano work. Not too stiff but also not flimsy. Nothing like those horribly cheap feeling boards you mentioned. But of course "feel" is relative so take note that I generally prefer semi-weighted keys over synth action keys.

tronam

25 Jul 2015

We see terms like weighted and semi-weighted thrown around so much in product marketing, but they're kind of meaningless descriptors without a standard frame of reference on things like spring tension, key travel etc. I don't lump piano and synth action together. I still haven't found a reasonably priced MIDI keyboard that truly mimics the weighted action of my real pianos. In cases like this I'm mainly referring to pure synth action and I think in that realm there's still a broad range of quality. With all the aggressive competition in a price race to the bottom it would seem that most of the controller manufacturers these days have opted for stiff, spongy, wobbly, low quality keybeds and that's a shame because this wasn’t always the case. Admittedly musicians were accustomed to spending quite a bit more in the past, so I guess there’s still no such thing as a free lunch. The old Novation Supernova keyboards had an outstanding semi-weighted synth action. The Nord Leads are rather nice as well (another example of FATAR), but you also pay a pretty penny for it. Junky keyboards are just a pet peeve of mine no matter how many drum pads or programmable buttons and sliders they might have, but I might be in the minority there. Maybe for most folks in the Ableton Live era the keyboard is secondary to all the other controller features.

QVprod

25 Jul 2015

tronam wrote:We see terms like weighted and semi-weighted thrown around so much in product marketing, but they're kind of meaningless descriptors without a standard frame of reference on things like spring tension, key travel etc. I don't lump piano and synth action together. I still haven't found a reasonably priced MIDI keyboard that truly mimics the weighted action of my real pianos. In cases like this I'm mainly referring to pure synth action and I think in that realm there's still a broad range of quality. With all the aggressive competition in a price race to the bottom it would seem that most of the controller manufacturers these days have opted for stiff, spongy, wobbly, low quality keybeds and that's a shame because this wasn’t always the case. Admittedly musicians were accustomed to spending quite a bit more in the past, so I guess there’s still no such thing as a free lunch. The old Novation Supernova keyboards had an outstanding semi-weighted synth action. The Nord Leads are rather nice as well (another example of FATAR), but you also pay a pretty penny for it. Junky keyboards are just a pet peeve of mine no matter how many drum pads or programmable buttons and sliders they might have, but I might be in the minority there. Maybe for most folks in the Ableton Live era the keyboard is secondary to all the other controller features.
With that in mind, anything with diving board style keys is synth action to me. But you're right a lot of manufactures call their synth action keyboards "semi-weighted" where as I believe the term is really meant to refer to piano style keys without hammers (weights). In my case I only really have room for one controller and I find the Panorama to be a happy compromise for both. I can't really compare it to anything because the feel is pretty unique, I'll admit I had to play it a bit on day one to get used to it. But once I did that my Axiom 49 2nd gen felt stiff to me and I've barely touched it since...

But yeah as far as straight up diving board synth action, most of the midi options pretty much suck. Most decent cheap ones I've touched were the Samson Graphite and the Behringer UMX, though apparently the Arturia keyboards are said to feel pretty good....or if you're really adventurous try to find a working older CME controller lol

tronam

27 Jul 2015

QVprod wrote: With that in mind, anything with diving board style keys is synth action to me. But you're right a lot of manufactures call their synth action keyboards "semi-weighted" where as I believe the term is really meant to refer to piano style keys without hammers (weights). In my case I only really have room for one controller and I find the Panorama to be a happy compromise for both. I can't really compare it to anything because the feel is pretty unique, I'll admit I had to play it a bit on day one to get used to it. But once I did that my Axiom 49 2nd gen felt stiff to me and I've barely touched it since...

But yeah as far as straight up diving board synth action, most of the midi options pretty much suck. Most decent cheap ones I've touched were the Samson Graphite and the Behringer UMX, though apparently the Arturia keyboards are said to feel pretty good....or if you're really adventurous try to find a working older CME controller lol
Thanks for the all the input; The Panorama is high on my short list now. It really does make the most sense as an all around controller. As much as I like the Komplete Kontrol's keys and design in some respects, it's oddly priced and seems far too exclusively geared toward NI software. I still haven't had a chance to try out the Novation SL MKII, but even with its lower cost it's not all that convincing.

Sinistereo

27 Jul 2015

I just purchased an Arturia Keylab 61 bundle with Bitwig (full version) for $250. I'll let you know if it is too good to be true. I needed a new controller and a VST host, so it seemed like a fair gamble.

Arsenic

28 Jul 2015

I've been kicking around the idea of changing my controller for a while now and I did look at the Panorama P6 (Couldn't manage with less than 61 keys now). The other option was to get something else and then add the Panorama P1. In the end I wasn't keen on the keys on the P6. I spent about 45 minutes with it, but there was just something I couldn't get on with - Weirdly I actually prefer my Axiom Pro keys over the Panorama. I also found the screen to be too small. I had to keep swapping from my normal glasses to my reading glasses to use it, so it was a bit pointless getting the P1. Don't get me wrong, the P1 would be ideal if it had a bigger screen.

I've now decided to look at 88 key controllers - Would like to get one with aftertouch. I tried the Akai MPK88. It was OK, but the keys were perhaps a bit too stiff and I've got some Studiologic ones to have a look at soon

raymondh

28 Jul 2015

I have a Novation Remote Zero and it gathers dust. I am not wasting my music creation time trying to get remote maps working. But even for Thor, Subtractor etc I don't use it because it doesn't mimic the layout of the virtual synth.

I thought about the Nektar keyboards - but I've had some people tell me that as good as the Panorama series is, they still reach for the mouse to automate parameters.

I reckon the ideal solution would be a controller with a single knob/slider that would change whatever parameter is current on screen focus. I'm not sure if that could work in practice, but I think I would actually use that.

In terms of keyboard, I really like the semi weighted 88 note M-Audio Prokeys 88. No intelligence, just a nice action keyboard and I can experiment without using octave shifting keys.

• Information