Windows 10 update hell

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Got Windows 10 yet?

No, Don't Care, Not even trying.
34%
No, Tried, Gave up.
2%
No, I'm still trying to get it.
8%
No, I'm on XP or Vista and I'm a bit thick.
No votes
Yes I beta tested it and it updated to the final version.
3%
Yes, It installed automatically without a hitch.
17%
Yes, I followed some instructions and got it installed eventually.
14%
Yes, I just bought a new PC and it came pre-installed.
No votes
I have a Mac, screw you Windows.
22%

Total votes: 59
pushedbutton

31 Jul 2015

Out of the 4 eligible PC's that I have come across since Wednesday (Windows 7 and Windows 8) exactly none of them have successfully updated to Windows 10.
How's your PC doing with this?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

decibel

31 Jul 2015

ive always used macs (all though i do have a windows laptop i dont really use), and i always thought they were nice secure machines and that apple has its customers well looked after etc, i dont really believe that at all anymore but it doesnt sound much better for you pc guys, was reading this the other day and it made me shake my head in disbelief at how orwellian things are becoming now days

http://www.information-age.com/technolo ... ur-privacy

orthodox
RE Developer

31 Jul 2015

Not even bothering, Windows 7 is still the best, at least for me.
I'm only worrying whether they start slowly dropping win7 support in new versions of popular programs.

Olivier

31 Jul 2015

i'm usually a year and a half behind.. not going to change that now.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

pushedbutton

31 Jul 2015

eauhm wrote:i'm usually a year and a half behind.. not going to change that now.
but in a year and a half you'll be half a year past the deadline for the free upgrade.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

Sinistereo

31 Jul 2015

You can force the upgrade (Google for methods), but you're better off waiting a few months. Win10 is pretty solid but still has enough bugs that I may end up rolling back to Win8.1 until they sort them all out.

pushedbutton

31 Jul 2015

After attempting to set up an installation media usb drive I got the message 'Something Happened'.
Fuck it.

gak

31 Jul 2015

Ima try it on the older computer tonight. Don't care if it works or not (It's basically just sitting there, might as well use it for something)

EDIT: I didn't actually have it reserved yet :lol:

Oh, well, maybe next week some time.

hydlide

01 Aug 2015

I just upgraded this laptop and I have had no problems here.

(posted this using windows 10)

Jagwah

01 Aug 2015

Windows 7 is solid!

gak

01 Aug 2015

Smooth as a babies bottom with the upgrade here.

I don't like it yet, but there were no problems.

gak

02 Aug 2015

Ok, so I did the update on the old computer today.

Went super smooth. Not sure why some people have problems and others don't (that was on a lan though)

Like I said in the other thread, latency was identical so not buying into the "better latency" thing at this time.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2015

I'm surprised some people are saying it happened automatically. All I got was error messages in the updates screen saying it tried and failed.
Downloading the installation package worked fine - I didn't even come across a screen requesting my serial number (I'd read some stuff about problems so was a bit nervous about it).
I'm reasonably happy I did it.

Grum.
Last edited by Grumbleweed on 02 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

boobytrap

02 Aug 2015

pushedbutton wrote:After attempting to set up an installation media usb drive I got the message 'Something Happened'.
Fuck it.
yes ! Something Happened to me too. fuck windows.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

zakalwe

02 Aug 2015

so i had reinstalled windows 7 in the meantime and i think this screwed it up. but i went and got the media thingy, did the update directly and then burned a DVD and did a drive wipe/fresh install.

i don't want to come over as mocking or smug but i'm afraid it just worked.

pushedbutton

03 Aug 2015

Just to let you know out of the 4 PC's I tried at work today one of them was able to go through with the update process after downloading the install media manually. The other 3 threw up errors before installation even started.

Sinistereo

03 Aug 2015

For anyone having trouble convincing their computer that it's time to upgrade, try this fix:

Either run the attached registry editor file as administrator, or manually add the following registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

add "AllowOSUpgrade" with a DWORD value of 1.

This gives Windows Update the green light to go ahead with the upgrade. If the upgrade doesn't start immediately, you should be able to kick it off using the Win10 reservation icon in your taskbar.
Attachments
AllowWin10Upgrade.zip
(258 Bytes) Downloaded 47 times

gak

03 Aug 2015

pushedbutton wrote:Just to let you know out of the 4 PC's I tried at work today one of them was able to go through with the update process after downloading the install media manually. The other 3 threw up errors before installation even started.
Good god. What a headache. Hopefully there is a way to get it solved.

Sinistereo

03 Aug 2015

gak wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:Just to let you know out of the 4 PC's I tried at work today one of them was able to go through with the update process after downloading the install media manually. The other 3 threw up errors before installation even started.
Good god. What a headache. Hopefully there is a way to get it solved.
The registry key I posted above should solve it. Microsoft has been intentionally delaying the upgrade for many people.

CharlyCharlzz

03 Aug 2015

Woooaw some peoples really make it harder for them self's .

why doing your heads with something when patience is the solution :)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

gak

03 Aug 2015

It's true, but let's face it, the OP is having more trouble than the average person. Let 'em vent :)

Sorry to rub it in, but I have it up and running like a well oiled machine on my older i7 (very first gen). Looks as though I'm going to make the jump on the big boy soon.

phasys

04 Aug 2015

decibel wrote:ive always used macs (all though i do have a windows laptop i dont really use), and i always thought they were nice secure machines and that apple has its customers well looked after etc, i dont really believe that at all anymore but it doesnt sound much better for you pc guys, was reading this the other day and it made me shake my head in disbelief at how orwellian things are becoming now days

The evidence is here again. Apple people are obsessed. They invade every single thread about Windows and some sort of problem going like "oh but I use mac and bla bla bla *insert irrelevant bullshit here*". What a joke.

hydlide

04 Aug 2015

only part of the "problem" I can add right now is that I have a window 7 machine which froze at 87%. I let it do its thing while I slept through it. When I woke up it said "Hello edwin" and I could follow the basic steps while installing the thing.

Case and point, sometimes it seems like it is "freezing", but that is apparently done by "design".

selig
RE Developer

04 Aug 2015

phasys wrote:
decibel wrote:ive always used macs (all though i do have a windows laptop i dont really use), and i always thought they were nice secure machines and that apple has its customers well looked after etc, i dont really believe that at all anymore but it doesnt sound much better for you pc guys, was reading this the other day and it made me shake my head in disbelief at how orwellian things are becoming now days

The evidence is here again. Apple people are obsessed. They invade every single thread about Windows and some sort of problem going like "oh but I use mac and bla bla bla *insert irrelevant bullshit here*". What a joke.
Exactly - just like Windows people are obsessed and invade every single thread about Apple and some sort of problem going like… well, you get the idea. And it's been like that for years and I don't see how pointing it out achieves anything positive - certainly won't change a dang thing. But here we are again…what a joke, right? ;)

Anyway, I suggest we carry on and accept reality and/or try to learn to live together - it's the best we can do for now as far as I can see.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

04 Aug 2015

Coming to you live from the old computer with win 10. Reason is working well so far except having to redo some things.

• Information