is Propellerhead dying?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
davidicus

29 Aug 2015

• support seems down to a skeleton crew--hardly even paying attention
  • Reason is buggier than ever--not much, but always used to be bulletproof
  • maybe it's just me, but the new apps focus doesn't seem to be a money factory
  • the new apps focus seems to have diluted their efforts, like last ditch attempts to survive
  • they've scaled back their web operations substantially--note in particular killing the forums
  • although pitched as faster updates, the new architecture also makes much smaller updates possible, and frequency can change
  • Line6 relationship over
  • they finally relented and added IRs (and made it look easy); this effectively destroys reverb extensions income and development
maybe the Props are over their peak and in the end of their life cycle :cry:

Klaus-Morlock

29 Aug 2015

8.3 is rock solid.
The update system is miles better than before.
Line 6. Who cares?
The reverb update is zero threat to RE developers.

joeyluck

29 Aug 2015

davidicus wrote:[*] support seems down to a skeleton crew--hardly even paying attention
They were recently on vacation.
davidicus wrote:[*] maybe it's just me, but the new apps focus doesn't seem to be a money factory
You're right. They're free!
davidicus wrote:[*] the new apps focus seems to have diluted their efforts, like last ditch attempts to survive
Nope. See Reason 8.3. And see the last point above—they're free. The mobile apps and Discover (also free) are in place to draw more attention to Reason ;)
davidicus wrote:[*] they've scaled back their web operations substantially--note in particular killing the forums
Yup. Now they can focus solely on the software and not our nonsense. Forums are best run by the users. I'm glad it happened for everyone's sake.
davidicus wrote:[*] although pitched as faster updates, the new architecture also makes much smaller updates possible, and frequency can change
Yup. Smaller size of the program is an awesome accomplishment. And a necessity when planning frequent updates ;)
davidicus wrote:[*] Line6 relationship over
True. And a ton of developer relationships gained :) Unfortunate for those Podfarm users... But moving into the future, Rack Extensions is the perfect answer to avoid any such situation again.
davidicus wrote:[*] they finally relented and added IRs (and made it look easy); this effectively destroys reverb extensions income and development
RV7000 MkII is amazing and opens up many doors! But certainly doesn't close any. Following the release of Blamsoft's Zero, some users are already asking if the reverb found on Zero could be made into a separate RE device. Demand will never go away for options of different character and approaches.
davidicus wrote:maybe the Props are over their peak and in the end of their life cycle :cry:
Nope. The word has been spread of Propellerhead in ways it never could have been before via very popular mobile apps and through the multitude of channels of RE developers. For instance, do you think many Rob Papen customers were aware of Reason before Rack Extension? Probably not many. Now they do—hard to avoid it. More folks know of Propellerhead than ever before. And Reason is becoming more and more capable and popular. The ship has been fine-tuned, well-oiled, and sailing like never before.

So, I'm confused by everything you are trying to say here.

freeQlow

29 Aug 2015

Funny how all the Kool djs (Techno & Electro) still spin Vinyl.

davidicus

29 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:
davidicus wrote: [*] the new apps focus seems to have diluted their efforts, like last ditch attempts to survive
Nope. See Reason 8.3. And see the last point above—they're free. The mobile apps and Discover (also free) are in place to draw more attention to Reason ;)
fair point. hope time proves me wrong!

jappe

29 Aug 2015

_____________2012_____2013_____2014
Turnover_____56743 ____73641____80709

ebop

29 Aug 2015

jappe, what are the turnover values you quoted?

80,709 doesn't seem like much money to turnover from which expenses etc are subtracted. Are there zeros missing?

Raveshaper

29 Aug 2015

I think that the power of perception is rather strong. While it may be far from true that there is any sign of imminent disaster at Propellerhead, if you are analyzing things in this way and having these thoughts, there are undoubtedly others out there who share your perception.

It may ultimately prove to be perception that manifests reality in the end rather than a real crisis running its course.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ebop

29 Aug 2015

There's been more evolution and activity in the Reason and overall PH environment in the last 2-3 years than I can ever recall. This doesn't seem to be a sign of a company in strife to be honest.

jappe

29 Aug 2015

ebop wrote:jappe, what are the turnover values you quoted?

80,709 doesn't seem like much money to turnover from which expenses etc are subtracted. Are there zeros missing?
Just wanted to show the trend:-)

jfrichards

29 Aug 2015

No, just the long dark days of incessant negativity. Good riddance.

Klaus-Morlock

29 Aug 2015

jappe wrote:_____________2012_____2013_____2014

Source?

Klaus-Morlock

29 Aug 2015

QwaizanG wrote:I think that the power of perception is rather strong. While it may be far from true that there is any sign of imminent disaster at Propellerhead, if you are analyzing things in this way and having these thoughts, there are undoubtedly others out there who share your perception.

It may ultimately prove to be perception that manifests reality in the end rather than a real crisis running its course.
Subjective "perception" has never been the most reliable of measures. Space ships hiding behind comets, the existence of Bigfoot, the return of Jesus on specified dates — all of these have been "felt", or "perceived", with utter sincerity, by millions of people. Trouble is, you can't will anything into existence. The "power of perception" is indeed strong, but it often has no causal connection to reality.

EnochLight

29 Aug 2015

davidicus wrote:
  • support seems down to a skeleton crew--hardly even paying attention
  • Reason is buggier than ever--not much, but always used to be bulletproof
  • maybe it's just me, but the new apps focus doesn't seem to be a money factory
  • the new apps focus seems to have diluted their efforts, like last ditch attempts to survive
  • they've scaled back their web operations substantially--note in particular killing the forums
  • although pitched as faster updates, the new architecture also makes much smaller updates possible, and frequency can change
  • Line6 relationship over
  • they finally relented and added IRs (and made it look easy); this effectively destroys reverb extensions income and development
maybe the Props are over their peak and in the end of their life cycle :cry:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

zakalwe

29 Aug 2015

they're probably doing well financially.

the state of reason is something of a disapointment, given the leaps and bounds we saw and the sheer enthusiam for what they were doing a few years ago. it's really crying out for some core development to finish the job, grow the platform and get RE up there with the other plugin formats.

it's a common complaint with mature DAWs though. if ableton finally fixed their broak PDC there is hope for propellerhead.

jappe

29 Aug 2015

Klaus-Morlock wrote:

Source?
http://www.ratsit.se/5565462206-Propell ... Aktiebolag

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

Klaus-Morlock wrote: Line 6. Who cares?
It may come as a shock to you, but there's a whole community of Reason users that don't share your exclusive requirements. Simply because YOU don't see any value in the line6 plugins, is not to say that other's won't.

Many guitarists do agree that the guitar amp was fairly crap, and I think we all jumped on the Kuassa stuff (well for those who like 'heavier' tones'). But what about those who bought Podfarm ? Or those who purchased ReFills that include Line6, and will soon be unable to use their product unless they rebuild the Combinators ? Or those who have long term projects that included Line6? Ot those who even bypassed the amp, and just used the Wah FX - there is no wah on the Softube amp. Then there's the Line6 Bass amp, which I understand is considered pretty good.

So to answer your question 'who cares'... I'm sure plenty of people do. It's going to break backwards compatibility, if nothing else. This can no longer be a claim made by Propellerhead when they vanish from the rack.
My Words are my ART

Klaus-Morlock

29 Aug 2015

jappe wrote:
Klaus-Morlock wrote:

Source?
Couldn't find the figures you quoted anywhere on here.

Klaus-Morlock

29 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
Klaus-Morlock wrote: Line 6. Who cares?
It may come as a shock to you, but there's a whole community of Reason users that don't share your exclusive requirements. Simply because YOU don't see any value in the line6 plugins, is not to say that other's won't.

Many guitarists do agree that the guitar amp was fairly crap, and I think we all jumped on the Kuassa stuff (well for those who like 'heavier' tones'). But what about those who bought Podfarm ? Or those who purchased ReFills that include Line6, and will soon be unable to use their product unless they rebuild the Combinators ? Or those who have long term projects that included Line6? Ot those who even bypassed the amp, and just used the Wah FX - there is no wah on the Softube amp. Then there's the Line6 Bass amp, which I understand is considered pretty good.

So to answer your question 'who cares'... I'm sure plenty of people do. It's going to break backwards compatibility, if nothing else. This can no longer be a claim made by Propellerhead when they vanish from the rack.
All I meant was that the Line 6 business doesn't indicate the death of Propellerheads.

Edit: If I had a bunch of projects that included the Line 6 amp, I'd just bounce the relevant track to a stem. It is inconvenient in terms of ReFills, but the Softube amps are more than adequate replacements in the rack.
Last edited by Klaus-Morlock on 29 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

29 Aug 2015

jappe wrote:
Klaus-Morlock wrote:

Source?
Also telling is the fact that they closed 2014 with a 172.6 % liquidity ratio. While it's not as impressive as the mind boggling 240 % (!!??) from the year prior, it's still incredibly healthy. Net profit was down from the year prior but they recovered from 2012 (losses due to the gamble on Balance and R&D for the Rack Extension SDK, I would imagine).

All that said, if that chart is claiming it's in "1000 SEK", then their net profit was 6144 SEK x 1000 is 6,144,000 SEK... which is.. $725,949 USD? Shit.. that can't be right, can it? :shock:
Last edited by EnochLight on 29 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

29 Aug 2015

Klaus-Morlock wrote:
jappe wrote:
Klaus-Morlock wrote:

Source?
Couldn't find the figures you quoted anywhere on here.
Did you click the Financial and Key tab at the top of the chart?

Klaus-Morlock

29 Aug 2015

Ah, got it.

jfrichards

29 Aug 2015

Klaus-Morlock wrote:...Couldn't find the figures...

Source is Ratsit. Don't have a clue what the words mean, nor the numbers. Most financial reports are in thousands, but in this case, thousands of what?

Edit: omsattningstillgangar is current assets
omsattning is revenue
rorelseresultat is operating income
arets resultat is annual profit

Edit:thanks for the info that it's Kroners. A Kroner is 12 cents. So 1 dollar is 8 Kroners.
Last edited by jfrichards on 29 Aug 2015, edited 6 times in total.

• Information