Sausage Fest !

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Namahs Amrak

04 Sep 2015

Nothing floats my boat more than a tasty deli meat product. From bacon to salami's, compressed beef, ham off the bone, proscuitto, when I go to a deli counter I feel like a kid in a candy store. A kid that's going to die from high cholesterol, but fuck it.

My attention is specifically drawn to middle eastern delights.

Sujuk (sometimes spoken as suc-kuk or suck cock ) originating from Turkey, although an Armenian shopkeeper I banter with (before he chased me from his store with a 3ft long dried fish) insists it's an Armenian food. A fermented meat (like salami) made from beef (unlike salami) and spiced up with spices unfamiliar to most western tastes, this fatty, salty sausage is a delight to bring to the lips. Often served at breakfast with fried eggs, but there's no best time to eat it. If it's a day ending in 'Y', then it's sujuk time !

Basturma

Once again we deal with conflict origins between Armenia & Turkey, Bastirma, in concept, may be compared to the more popular 'Pastrami'. A whole cut of meat, is washed, salted, the blood is forcefully squeezed out and rubbed in a spicy paste. It's a much stronger flavour than western pastrami.. a LOT stronger. I often refer to the meat as 'sliced camel's balls'. Goes well in moderation with fat whole pickle, lebanese bread and baba ganouj.

It also smells very funky to the un-initiated nose, so if you try this stuff, do so when your wife, or mum is out.

DO yourselves a favour, and take a trip to tour local arabic/middle eastern supermarket (some of you may have to leave your comfortable white-bread gated neighbourhoods and travel to your city's middle eastern ghetto, but man up, nobody's going to bite you, or judge you on your girly soft skin. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to get some sexy stinky meat down your throat.

Here's some more mouth watering images to get this sausage fest started

Oh yea, Girl.
My Words are my ART

decibel

05 Sep 2015

lol

pLansford

05 Sep 2015

Sausage-worshipping is forbidden around these parts.

Namahs Amrak

05 Sep 2015

I'll give up my sausage love when you pry it from my cold, dead lips.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

05 Sep 2015

Blessed Be the Salami Munchers.

I'm getting moist just looking at this delightful basket of knobs

My Words are my ART

decibel

05 Sep 2015

any recommendations for good middle eastern grocers in melbourne or sydney ?

Namahs Amrak

05 Sep 2015

For Sure, I do much of my shopping at various ethnic supermarkets. For Sydney:

Top Ryde: Bahar Persian Food & Art, in Church St
West Ryde: The Lebanese Loaf, north of the station, is run by the crazy fish-wielding Armenian. Also a top selection of baklava.
Auburn: Arzum Turkish Market, Rawson St
Lakemba & Bankstown: The Islamic 'heartlands' of the city, there's plenty of both dining options and markets.
Harris Farm Markets often have Basturma in the deli as well.

There's not much in the inner city though.

And then of course we have the SALAMI'S that make life worth living , unless you're a swine.

My Words are my ART

decibel

05 Sep 2015

cheers man, next time im up that way i'll check em out ;)

watched anthony bourdains show the other day and he was hanging in beirut, looked like good fun despite all the chaos in the region

dvdrtldg

05 Sep 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: Auburn: Arzum Turkish Market, Rawson St
That place is great

I go to Adelaide once or twice a year, and always make a point of heading up to Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills (about 40 mins drive form the city). Small village originally settled by German immigrants and today it's a sort of theme park, with dudes in lederhosen playing oom-pah music in the streets on Saturday mornings and every second shop is a Bierkeller full of tourists chowing down on pork knuckle and sauerkraut. Needless to say, there are quality smallgoods from one end of the place to the other, most of it locally sourced and fucking awesome

Namahs Amrak

05 Sep 2015

Yep, Auburn is a stellar culinary experience if you know where to go. Down the street from the Turkish market is a Nepalese cafe that do traditional 'momo', or dumplings. Ask for the 'atomic' if you like it spicy. And up the road is the handmade chocolate shop on the corner, where I have spent may a dollar.

I have heard about Hahndorf, it sounds a bit surreal. But if they have some good meats, then count me in ! Those Krauts know a thing or two about wielding a fine sausage.

My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

07 Sep 2015

HOORAY !

Today is a great day for specialty meat products. There's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited.

Except the guy I've blocked. Stay away from my mouth, dude.
My Words are my ART

motuscott

07 Sep 2015

I'm Here
In Ur Mouth
It's Very Queer in Here
Ur Mouth, That Is
Hope I don't get moderated out of here
Also I worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Hope that's not a prob
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Namahs Amrak

07 Sep 2015

FSM is A-OK by me, old man. It worships the meatballs right alongside the noodly appendages.

So, another fine, fine display of meaty excellence is the Babi Guling.

Babi Guling can only be found in one part of the world, the small island of Bali, in the Indonesian archipelago. What's most unusual is that the FINEST pig preparation can only be found in the largest Muslim country in the world.

The cycle from pig-to-plate begins at 4am in the morning, where an animal is slaughtered. It is then gutted, it's innards set aside, and the belly filled with a wet mixture of fresh herbs and ground spices. It's then sewn up, a bamboo stake is shoved from it's ass and out of it's mouth, and the beast is turned manually for 6 hours, being basted with coconut water.

In the meantime, the innards of the pig are prepared in various ways, including skewared portions, but the most interesting is the sausage they made by filling the intestine (thats the one that carries to poop) with the pig's blood, which conjeals into a solid, and is then cooked.

When Babi Guling is served, at around 11am at the warungs (shabby indonesian eateries catering for locals rather than tourists), the entire pig is dumped on a table in a communal area, the belly split open to release the herb stuffing, and is served to customers with rice, the blood sausage, the other bits of guts and stuff, and even some crispy crackling, which often still has some hairy bristles attached. All for around $3 USD a serve.

Babi Guling was briefly given media attention when Anthony Bourdain travelled to Indonesia, and ate in the town of Ubud, in the hills, visiting the warung called Ibu Oka (which has now become a tourist 'must visit' instead on just a locals-only place)

In closing, Babi Guling is the greatest pork dish in the universe.

My Words are my ART

motuscott

07 Sep 2015

Dude,
I am currently marinating my own leg in the tears of Republican voterz. What more can I do?

Namahs Amrak

07 Sep 2015

No politics until the new ToS ! Those are the rules, which is to say the current rules. When they are the new rules, this will be the old rules. You're ahead of your time.

My Words are my ART

decibel

07 Sep 2015

an ex of mine was a fillipino, on more then one occassion she tried to encourage me to eat something that sounds similar to the pig intestine you mentioned, i just could'nt get my head around nibbling on a poop chute at the time, all though there was no shortage of local people who were happy to vouch for the tastyness of the dish, i will probably go to the grave not knowing whether or not im misssing out on what could potentially be an all time fave snack ? maybe next time im in that part of the world i'll be feeling more adventurous ;) *indonesia is definitely on the to do list , probably 2016-17

Namahs Amrak

07 Sep 2015

There is a Philippino pig dish called Cebu Lichon, but I am not sure what they do with the innards.

A couple of years ago I was in a Burmese restaurant, and myself and a friend simply ordered blindly, based on the illustrations. On one of the selections, the waitress asked "really"?

We said yes.

a few minutes later a more senior waitress, I guess, came and asked us "Do you really want this"?

We said yes.

Another 10 minutes, and the owner came up, and explained the best he could that the dish we ordered was the thick-walled lower intestine of a pig, and typically not eaten by non-Burmese people. Did we still want it?

We said yes.

But I can say that it wasn't very pleasant. Not horrible, just had a strange texture, but at least I can say I've tried it. This is my ethos most of the time.

Don't be so harsh to judge intestines in general, there's a thin layer they remove to make up the natural sausage casing used in most cultures.

Last edited by Namahs Amrak on 07 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

07 Sep 2015

decibel wrote:an ex of mine was a fillipino
What is she now ?
My Words are my ART

decibel

07 Sep 2015

a singaporean ;) haha, she was made a citizen just last year

Namahs Amrak

07 Sep 2015

decibel wrote:a singaporean ;) haha, she was made a citizen just last year
Hey Hey, she is now a citizen of the world's biggest shopping mall. I don't know about you, but all the times I have begrudgingly stopped off in Singapore, I just feel like I've walked into a Westfields. Fortunately, Kuala Lumpur is fast becoming a major asian hub.

And KL fucking ROCKS as a two day commuting hub ! I know a place in KL that serves the best lemon chicken in the universe ! Jalan Petaling hawker centre. Just down from the Beatles bar (no longer operating I don't think, was closed when I was there the other month - but the chicken still rocks)
My Words are my ART

decibel

07 Sep 2015

yeah im spewing i didnt continue on to KL after i was in singapore last , i heard the food is pretty good there.. i think i'll add it onto the indonesia trip im planning and maybe do nepal or laos or something after KL, allthough i did visit melaka in malaysia for a few days , that was an interesting little place

*oh and yeah it is a bit of a mega mall, an expensive mega mall at that, not really much to see apart from the zoo and the botanical gardens, plenty to eat though :)

grumo

07 Sep 2015

There's a variety of delicious pork sausages and cold cuts in Spain as well. Viva el chorizo.

Soundcloud // download 'Gracias' on Bandcamp // Facebook

ebop

07 Sep 2015

This thread is really offal

dvdrtldg

07 Sep 2015

Can we talk politics if the discussion is directly related to pressed meats & smallgoods

motuscott

07 Sep 2015

never gets old, I swear

• Information