Post-production Blues

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Rook

08 Sep 2015

Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this...

When I'm working on a new track, I'll be really into it and excited about it right up until I've "finished" it. Even then, I'm usually still pretty happy after it's done. But almost without fail, 24 hours or so later, I hate it. It's garbage. Then I get bummed about my music in general, how it's not at the level that I'd like it to be, comparing my work to others, "I SUCK! What am I doing wrong?", etc. etc.

This happens often enough that I know it will pass and not to worry about it too much. Usually after week or so, I can go back and listen to the track again and actually think it's okay, maybe work on it some more to fix things. But it's such a weird back and forth. It's like the crash after the high. Maybe I try to do too much, too fast. I probably need to find a better balance.

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there and see if any of you have similar experiences. Or maybe just if/how you deal with self-judgement and insecurity about your work in general.

normen

08 Sep 2015

Its a very common feeling among creative people afaics. Or to put it another way I've heard: "Being an artist is walking on a thin line between narcissism and devastating self-doubt" ;)

esselfortium

08 Sep 2015

Rook wrote:"I SUCK! What am I doing wrong?", etc. etc.

This happens often enough that I know it will pass and not to worry about it too much. Usually after week or so, I can go back and listen to the track again and actually think it's okay, maybe work on it some more to fix things. But it's such a weird back and forth. It's like the crash after the high.
Like you've said, giving yourself some distance from the work definitely helps with this. It's often easier to find solutions to problems (and determine what the problems actually are) when you're coming back to them with a fresh perspective.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

08 Sep 2015

Just plough your own furrow, enjoy what you do and stick it up on SoundCloud, or whatever is the site du jour is. I used to take criticism hard, but realised I never could accept praise much either, for the same kind reasons you indicate: you never think you're good enough. If someone likes it, great, if they don't, great. Not all of us can like everything. I can't stand dubsteb, for example, but I love blues, even the post-production kind ;)

I don't worry if people don't press the like button or rush to comment. I don't really have time to comment a lot on other's stuff, so I can hardly expect a load in return.

Tincture

08 Sep 2015

Yes, know that feeling well. These days I just put it up and if I can live with it, it stays. If not, it comes down for binning or further work.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2015

Learn to accept that what you did is the best you can - unless you were being lazy - and that is all you can. Sure it will never be what you think is perfect but others may find beauty or joy in it. This allows you to call a project finished and release it (at least post on SC).

By doing this you draw a line and that lets you access the next level.

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/05/08 ... d-ship-it/

:)
Last edited by Benedict on 08 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Namahs Amrak

08 Sep 2015

Rook wrote:Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this...

When I'm working on a new track, I'll be really into it and excited about it right up until I've "finished" it. Even then, I'm usually still pretty happy after it's done. But almost without fail, 24 hours or so later, I hate it. It's garbage. Then I get bummed about my music in general, how it's not at the level that I'd like it to be, comparing my work to others, "I SUCK! What am I doing wrong?", etc. etc.
Yes, I sometimes feel this, and almost always think a project 'sucks' after smashing it for 6 hours at a time over 3 consecutive days. Stepping away for a few weeks after the initial creative burst allows some fresh ears to re-evaluate it, so you may want to make it your standard work practice. Create, tweak, walk away, come back in two weeks.

Also examine your intentions. Do you seriously feel in your heart that you want to (or can be) be a top-selling artist, and/or have the respect of many people for your music ? Or is the primary driver simply to enjoy the creative process ? The vast majority here are hobbyists and probably have no desire (or hope) to 'make it big' (whatever that means).

I would say that if you sit down and compose music and you enjoy the process, then you are already a winner. :thumbs_up:
My Words are my ART

Rook

08 Sep 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: Yes, I sometimes feel this, and almost always think a project 'sucks' after smashing it for 6 hours at a time over 3 consecutive days.
This is pretty much exactly what I usually do lol.
Namahs Amrak wrote: Stepping away for a few weeks after the initial creative burst allows some fresh ears to re-evaluate it, so you may want to make it your standard work practice. Create, tweak, walk away, come back in two weeks.
I think this is probably a huge part of it. I tend to be the kinda person who gets hyper-focused on things, so it's easy for me to obsess and probably over do it. Learning to back off and pace myself a bit more would probably go a long way.
Namahs Amrak wrote: Also examine your intentions. Do you seriously feel in your heart that you want to (or can be) be a top-selling artist, and/or have the respect of many people for your music ? Or is the primary driver simply to enjoy the creative process ? The vast majority here are hobbyists and probably have no desire (or hope) to 'make it big' (whatever that means).
You're right. I definitely don't have a desire to make it big or do music full-time. But getting to a point where I feel somewhat...competent? is something I'd like to achieve. But I dunno, maybe I'll never feel like I've gotten to that point lol.

Namahs Amrak

08 Sep 2015

For what it's worth, I just had a very quick flick through some of your Soundcloud uploads and.... holy crap, dude. Those appear to be some of the best tracks I have reviewed from users here (or the old PUF). I'm really looking forward to hearing your songs through my studio monitors later. Unbeknownst to most, I *do* actually listen to what people are doing in Reason, and spend at least 2 hours a week in Soundcloud just for that purpose, because it inspires me to what's possible.

Perhaps the only thing that needs to change in your songwriting is your own self-evaluation. Often easier said than done. :cool:
My Words are my ART

Last Alternative

08 Sep 2015

Some big time producer once said (Bruce Swedien or Dave Pensado... Or someone else..) "A mix is never finished. It's abandoned."
Even the best are never completely satisfied which tells me nothing is perfect and one will never feel fully accomplished; you can only get better.

And yes I also deal with this self-loathing which is the main reason my album is still in the beginning stages. Getting closer to sending it off to Benedict for mixing though!
By the way, Benedict's articles are a huge guiding light for me!
benedictroffmarsh.com
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Pinkbox

09 Sep 2015

I went through your Soundcloud, and I don't see what could possibly be wrong with your music. Seriously.

I guess the main problem is that you "compare your work to others". Why would you do that? You can get inspired by what others do but comparing your track won't do any good I guess.
If you feel so desperate when your compare your music to Jon Hopkins', try to compare it with Tiesto's, I'm pretty sure you'll feel better.

Seriously, I anticipate this feeling sometimes when I'm working on a track, so I finish it the quickest way, so I won't compromise myself and what I intended to do. If, eventually, I don't find it as good as it could have been afterwards, I'll be happy to have finished an uncompromised track that is the witness of a very specific moment in my life (artist's life, or my life in its entirety).

Rook

09 Sep 2015

I really wasn't fishing for compliments, but thank you guys. I hadn't heard of Jon Hopkins until that other thread, but I'm really digging his stuff; right up my alley. Another artist to feel inferior to! Lmao, jk.

I just need to do my thing and keep getting better and not worry about it.

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Pinkbox

09 Sep 2015

Rook wrote: Another artist to feel inferior to! Lmao, jk.
Seriously, go see this guy live if he's playing in your town, he's incredible.

Rook

09 Sep 2015

Pinkbox wrote: Seriously, go see this guy live if he's playing in your town, he's incredible.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I was just watching his performance on KEXP. Cool to hear him talk a little bit about his creative process too.

Rook

09 Sep 2015

Oh yeah...I do wish someone had told me sooner though, it's impossible to make music like this in Reason. That's clearly why my stuff doesn't sound as good as him. So much wasted time!! Aaarrghh :evil: ;)

Namahs Amrak

09 Sep 2015

Rook wrote: Another artist to feel inferior to! Lmao, jk.
Oh well, the solution for you is clear. Stop listening to other people's music :lol:
My Words are my ART

Marco Raaphorst

10 Sep 2015

I work for clients. When the client is happy then I am happy. This is a very easy focus imo.

In general music has to fulfil a purpose. If not, anything goes :) Bad sound, funkish lowtech. Anything.

Enjoy the process. It will never be perfect. But perfect is in fact boring.

JNeffLind

10 Sep 2015

I spent a long time doing just words before I got seriously into music and I was always served well by the dictum "Writers write." I.e. they don't think about it or worry about it or talk about it reflect on it. They do it. Every day. Every day I didn't write, I wasn't a writer, and since I defined myself as a writer and nothing else, I had to stay busy. To that end, the same day you finish a track, you should start on the next one. Musicians make music. Composers compose. Producers produce. A busy and actively working mind usually trumps a faltering one.

JNeffLind

10 Sep 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:For what it's worth, I just had a very quick flick through some of your Soundcloud uploads and.... holy crap, dude. Those appear to be some of the best tracks I have reviewed from users here (or the old PUF).
I agree. Very solid work. Technically and artistically on point. Keep it up.

Tincture

12 Sep 2015

I've just listened to 5 of your tracks Rook and I can't give you much more of a compliment than.. I'm a fan. Truly enjoyed the ride. Your use of guitar and feedback type sounds I love so much. Great depth of feeling in everything I heard.

• Information