Lightweight DAW as VST host

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Skullture

13 Dec 2015

So I've been looking into using a secondary DAW next to Reason as a VST host. I would like to save as much CPU as possible so really to only functions I need is a DAW that can ReWire + host VST's. Any suggestions here? I know Ableton is pretty good but if I can go even lighter than that, that would be great :redface:

joeyluck

13 Dec 2015

If it's only to host external plugins, I use 'Audio Plugin Player' as well as AU Lab on Mac OS X.

I use these with the EMI vs using ReWire...

Skullture

13 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:If it's only to host external plugins, I use 'Audio Plugin Player' as well as AU Lab on Mac OS X.

Using Windows so that's not possible, thx tho :puf_wink:

gak

13 Dec 2015

REAPER
mejer
收割者
жнець
avunaye

joeyluck

13 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:
joeyluck wrote:If it's only to host external plugins, I use 'Audio Plugin Player' as well as AU Lab on Mac OS X.

Using Windows so that's not possible, thx tho :puf_wink:
My guess is there must be some equivalent of Audio Plugin Player for Windows...

Just learned about VIP which looks cool, but I think you can only access that if you own either an Akai Advance or Alesis VX?

chk071

13 Dec 2015

gak wrote:REAPER
Seconded. Reaper seems to fit your bill the best. It's very slim and has a very small CPU footprint.
:reason: :rebirth:

gak

14 Dec 2015

chk071 wrote:
gak wrote:REAPER
Seconded. Reaper seems to fit your bill the best. It's very slim and has a very small CPU footprint.
Hey, I didn't know you used reaper. Welcome to the less "dark side" :mrgreen:

chk071

14 Dec 2015

I used to use it. :) Must admit that it never clicked with me though, so i'm using other stuff now... but i feel like it's the best option here, regarding the requirements of a light VST host, which also does Rewire.
:reason: :rebirth:

Lizard

14 Dec 2015

I use a simple program that is free on the internet and is the lightest CPU use I've seen yet. The whole program is less than 5MB I think. It is called VSTHost. All it does is host VST but gives you a great amount of control of them. Using this with a Virtual MIDI Cable software like LoopMIDI or LoopBe you make a link to Reason EMI devices. It doesn't have rewire as we are using Reason to control the software anyway. I know some may quick to point this out but I'm only offering this as an alternative which believe it or not is smoother than one would think. :D There are easy alternative methods however to Rewire. VSTHost will allow you to record it's audio output as WAV files which can simply be dragged into your Reason song and they are already perfectly timed with your project. You will of course need to trim start points and drag to an appropriate start but that's about it. :) I have made a video of my process which I try to quickly explain it. It also shows another method I use with my Audio Card which is a Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro DSP. It allows for Audio Loopback so similar to Rewire I can record audio back onto a Reason Audio Track. And sorry for any errors in the video. It was done kinda quickly and for this thread specifically.

Two version of video. One lo res for easy streaming and one at 720p so that one can see a little better. Pending on your internet connection you might be able to stream the HQ version.

Lo-Res : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgptlza1v5coa ... t.mp4?dl=0
Hi-Res : https://www.dropbox.com/s/olt64s2fuelg6 ... 0.mp4?dl=0

cpetersus

15 Dec 2015

How are using retire to do this? Also you should check out AU Host. It's pretty lean and simple for just hosting AU synths and effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :reason: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :refill: :re: Chris Peters -> Richmond, VA Reason 8 - MacMini (2012) i7 2.6 Quad Core w/10G Presonus AudioBox1818 -Alesis QX49 - Akai MPD26 - Presonus Monitor Station 2

EnochLight

15 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:So I've been looking into using a secondary DAW next to Reason as a VST host. I would like to save as much CPU as possible so really to only functions I need is a DAW that can ReWire + host VST's. Any suggestions here? I know Ableton is pretty good but if I can go even lighter than that, that would be great :redface:
Despite my disdain for working in it (have since switched to Studio One) ;) , Reaper is light on CPU and pretty much free if you just keep trialing it. Technically you're supposed to buy a license if you're going to keep using it, but the dev doesn't force you to. Might give you some time to play with it and see if it works for you. Rewire is fairly straight forward with Reaper, too.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Skullture

15 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Skullture wrote:So I've been looking into using a secondary DAW next to Reason as a VST host. I would like to save as much CPU as possible so really to only functions I need is a DAW that can ReWire + host VST's. Any suggestions here? I know Ableton is pretty good but if I can go even lighter than that, that would be great :redface:
Despite my disdain for working in it (have since switched to Studio One) ;) , Reaper is light on CPU and pretty much free if you just keep trialing it. Technically you're supposed to buy a license if you're going to keep using it, but the dev doesn't force you to. Might give you some time to play with it and see if it works for you. Rewire is fairly straight forward with Reaper, too.
Reminds me of Winrar, going to give it a shot. Thanks! ;)

Ras Keita

08 Jan 2016

Reaper...as already stated light CPU solid, stable, inexpensive.
Unlike what was posted earlier about "distain to work in it" and switching to Studio One, I'm the total opposite I prefer Reaper to S1.

EnochLight

08 Jan 2016

Ras Keita wrote:Unlike what was posted earlier about "distain to work in it" and switching to Studio One, I'm the total opposite I prefer Reaper to S1.
They both have their strengths, that's for sure. Reaper has a depth and amount of control that is quite impressive, and runs super light. It's just getting there that's a pain in the ass IMHO. I also found it uninspiring to work in (which is why I switched to S1). Still, Reaper is a fantastic environment to work in for many.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mreese80

08 Jan 2016

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Rook

08 Jan 2016

Another vote for Reaper. It's perfect for this. Lightweight, super snappy and responsive, affordable...

Plus it has some amazing possibilities for working with audio. Perfect complimentary DAW for Reason.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Ostermilk

08 Jan 2016

I'd say Reaper is the most cost-effective way of getting a Rewire equipped host and it will have many other uses as well.

I don't recommend going the EMI/Audio Loopback from a standalone VST host route as it's very limited and much more of a PITA than Rewire especially on a Windows machine, it's also far less flexible for anything other than a single instrument with a single stereo output.

So yep, I'd go with the consensus here and recommend Reaper again, even though I'm a Studio One user myself, Reaper is by far the most bang you'll get for the buck.

RequiemMachine

09 Jan 2016

On OSX, I use Apple Mainstage as a AU host. Its $30 on the Mac App Store and you get the full Alchemy synth (in addition to a bunch of the stuff from logic). http://www.apple.com/mainstage/
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

tumar

10 Jan 2016

Tracktion. Version 4 is for free:
https://www.tracktion.com/products/t4-daw

Newest v6 costs only 60 $.

• Information