The Forcing of Windows 10

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Digitus

08 Jun 2016

Okay, what the hell is up with this move? Basically, how do you feel about Microsoft cramming this update down everyone's throat? I really can't believe this is actually considered acceptable.

Gorgon

08 Jun 2016

"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2016

I kept getting the upgrade option. Then I tried. Big fail as in actual fact my PC couldn't handle Win 10 (some of the cards). Bit of a contrast with the software telling me it was all ready to run. Had to nuke and start again with Win 7. Oddly since then no Win 10 upgrade offer.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

normen

08 Jun 2016

Funny thing: They lured me with the "threat" that the update wouldn't be free anymore so I "booked" it, thinking I could still decide for myself when the update would be installed. The updater took that as a cue to set a date to install the update by itself. When after a few update warnings I had set the updater to the last available date and it came up again I thought "no problem, just say 'no' when the updater asks for admin rights, that should stop it from doing anything". But NOPE, right in the middle of a gaming session with a friend the OS just shut down and proceeded to install the update. So I turned off the computer right when the warning "don't turn off your computer!" was on the screen. It booted up again just fine because it was just "preparing" the update. So when it was booted again I pressed the little task tray button and selected "check status of order" and canceled the order, then turned off the updater stuff completely. OR DID I?? Of course the offer to install came up again.

I mean what kind of admin rights system is this when an app can do anything it wants without me granting admin rights??

Given that I spent about a day to make the whole thing work for Reason with MIDI drivers, audio drivers, system settings and whatnot I am pretty sure the windows 10 update will cause issues or at least take me another day to re-configure everything. Thats what you get for thinking you could save a few bucks by not using another Mac for the Reason rig ^^ My main mixing computer is on Mac and I'll sure as heck get another one when I update the Reason rig again. If I translate the additional time I spent for configuring and this kind of shit to money I'm easily at the price for an iMac...

decibel

08 Jun 2016

big brother is well and truly out of control these days (mac are just as fucked), its a shame you cant install reason on a linux machine, thats probably the best thing bitwig has going for it

adfielding

08 Jun 2016

If you're having problems with Windows 10 upgrade prompts, try Never10. It's a free application that makes modifications to your system settings to prevent Windows 10 update prompts and stealth updating.

Oddly, the one computer that I did eventually update to Windows 10 (and the one I wanted to update all along) never had any prompts to update.

Exowildebeest

08 Jun 2016

It's real strange - I have a legit copy of Windows 7 Pro running, and I've NEVER seen an update to Win10 prompt that everyone seems to be complaining about?!

Dabbler

08 Jun 2016

I feel, resistance is futile.

platzangst

08 Jun 2016

Digitus wrote:Okay, what the hell is up with this move? Basically, how do you feel about Microsoft cramming this update down everyone's throat? I really can't believe this is actually considered acceptable.
Really, the time to have complained about this was before Microsoft became essentially the leading OS in the country, if not the world. This was entirely foreseeable.

guitfnky

08 Jun 2016

As a business practice, it's awfully stupid on Microsoft's part, but I have to say it's actually a pretty nice OS. Certainly better than 8 was.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

I wouldn't call it "forced" as it strictly follows the policy set in "Windows Update". I'm using 7, auto updates are disabled. I refused a couple of specific "prepare for windows 10" updates and never got any prompts.

yeahright31

09 Jun 2016

Digitus wrote:Okay, what the hell is up with this move? Basically, how do you feel about Microsoft cramming this update down everyone's throat? I really can't believe this is actually considered acceptable.

Same with Apple and all their updates and the way some company force you to update to the latest OS to use blah & blah.
Then breaking such & such that used to work fine in order to fix something else or try the latest.
Although Reason never forced me to update my OS, I was 1 running Yosemite and felt forced into upgrading to El Crapitan to fix wifi issue-
Then for once broke Reason, although fix was found in the end. :D

Noplan
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2016

Watch out! Microsoft hires professional housebreaker who install windows 10 on your computer. Just happened to me.

Dabbler

09 Jun 2016

It's the model invented by the murky members of the secret society of auto mechanics. Their charter is to fix your car but unfix another piece that will fail on delay. Wherein you return to the same mechanic or go to another mechanic only to be exposed to the exact same paradigm.

jam-s

09 Jun 2016

conspirational theory: First they will try to get all users to Win10 and then after support for 7 and 8.1 has ended they will switch to a subscription based service with monthly pay if you want to keep using Win 10.x.

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:It's the model invented by the murky members of the secret society of auto mechanics. Their charter is to fix your car but unfix another piece that will fail on delay. Wherein you return to the same mechanic or go to another mechanic only to be exposed to the exact same paradigm.
This business is now under threat from car manufacturers. New cars don't need unfixing and tend to break in pieces in 3 years, which makes any repair useless.

apostlethirteen

09 Jun 2016

I got windows 10 and am the happiest I have ever been with a windows product.
Dont believe the negativity about it. I notice its only using 10% of my memory on 16 gigs and only 7% of my cpu i7 6th gen, right now.
Its AMAZING.

Name: Ricky Neff
Reason 8.x.x - 9
:adapted: :re: :refill: :rt:

Vyckeil

09 Jun 2016

apostlethirteen wrote:I got windows 10 and am the happiest I have ever been with a windows product.
Dont believe the negativity about it. I notice its only using 10% of my memory on 16 gigs and only 7% of my cpu i7 6th gen, right now.
Its AMAZING.
Windows 10 is a very good OS. People aren't complaning about its quality, they're complaining about the super pushy tactics that Microsoft are using to install the OS on your computer. There's a big difference between installing a crappy OS and your computer being highjacked by the OS manufacturer to install things you don't want.

Dabbler

10 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:
Dabbler wrote:It's the model invented by the murky members of the secret society of auto mechanics. Their charter is to fix your car but unfix another piece that will fail on delay. Wherein you return to the same mechanic or go to another mechanic only to be exposed to the exact same paradigm.
This business is now under threat from car manufacturers. New cars don't need unfixing and tend to break in pieces in 3 years, which makes any repair useless.
True dis. The older I get the more I think cars should be government issued, like cheese. They should all be grey too - the drab kind of grey - no shine. All I need is a tool to get me from point A to point B. I say we build troughs next to all roads wherein, when the car dies, you simply flip it in the trough where it's conveyed to the reprocessing center. You tap your 'dead car' car app and a G-man brings you a replacement. No payments, no insurance, no worries.

normen

10 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:True dis. The older I get the more I think cars should be government issued, like cheese. They should all be grey too - the drab kind of grey - no shine. All I need is a tool to get me from point A to point B. I say we build troughs next to all roads wherein, when the car dies, you simply flip it in the trough where it's conveyed to the reprocessing center. You tap your 'dead car' car app and a G-man brings you a replacement. No payments, no insurance, no worries.
Self-driving fleets of cars. You get out in the morning, your car is standing there, you get in, finish your breakfast and get out to work. Then in the evening its there again, you say "pass by the grocery store", get your stuff, get home and next morning its waiting for you again. If its broken somebody else has to care about that. Perfect.

Gorgon

10 Jun 2016

Vyckeil wrote: Windows 10 is a very good OS. People aren't complaning about its quality, they're complaining about the super pushy tactics that Microsoft are using to install the OS on your computer. There's a big difference between installing a crappy OS and your computer being highjacked by the OS manufacturer to install things you don't want.
I installed my new motherboard and CPU, then I wondered "will this SSD with my old system on it boot on Windows 10 without any manual modification?". So I plugged it in, it booted up, did some updating and configuring which didn't take more than 10 seconds, and it runs like a breeze, on a completely different motherboard and chipset. I was very impressed. Usually you'd have to reinstall your whole system. Not anymore.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Jun 2016

normen wrote:Self-driving fleets of cars. You get out in the morning, your car is standing there, you get in, finish your breakfast and get out to work. Then in the evening its there again, you say "pass by the grocery store", get your stuff, get home and next morning its waiting for you again. If its broken somebody else has to care about that. Perfect.
There's no sense for the car in waiting all night long under the window. It occupies a place and could be used somewhere else to drive people from a nightclub. So why own a car, it can be a taxi service. Next step is to gather people having common routes in one vehicle and it will be a shuttle bus.

Gorgon

10 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:
normen wrote:Self-driving fleets of cars. You get out in the morning, your car is standing there, you get in, finish your breakfast and get out to work. Then in the evening its there again, you say "pass by the grocery store", get your stuff, get home and next morning its waiting for you again. If its broken somebody else has to care about that. Perfect.
There's no sense for the car in waiting all night long under the window. It occupies a place and could be used somewhere else to drive people from a nightclub. So why own a car, it can be a taxi service. Next step is to gather people having common routes in one vehicle and it will be a shuttle bus.
Yeah awesome. Much like public transportation. Which is something that people with cars like to avoid.

normen

10 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:There's no sense for the car in waiting all night long under the window. It occupies a place and could be used somewhere else to drive people from a nightclub. So why own a car, it can be a taxi service. Next step is to gather people having common routes in one vehicle and it will be a shuttle bus.
Who said the car is supposed to stand there during the night? It just has to be there when I get out to / from work. The logistics of when which car is where and when it can be recharged can be handled by a central server.

And no, a bus isn't the same. I don't want to go/stop anywhere I don't want to go and I also don't want to walk from a bus stop to my place of work. Living in a more rural area this is even more of a problem.

Dabbler

10 Jun 2016

I remember a thread at the old PUF about Volvo and I think we resolved it to flying cars.

Much like Win 10 is. :)

• Information