The Forcing of Windows 10

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
gak

10 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:I feel, resistance is futile.
It's true. The good news is it just keep getting better.

If you feel security is a problem, look up your records based simply on your name. You should be more afraid of that than windows 10.

I do hate the auto updates. That has been a headache.

adfielding

12 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:
Vyckeil wrote: Windows 10 is a very good OS. People aren't complaning about its quality, they're complaining about the super pushy tactics that Microsoft are using to install the OS on your computer. There's a big difference between installing a crappy OS and your computer being highjacked by the OS manufacturer to install things you don't want.
I installed my new motherboard and CPU, then I wondered "will this SSD with my old system on it boot on Windows 10 without any manual modification?". So I plugged it in, it booted up, did some updating and configuring which didn't take more than 10 seconds, and it runs like a breeze, on a completely different motherboard and chipset. I was very impressed. Usually you'd have to reinstall your whole system. Not anymore.
That's actually really surprising, I've tried doing that with Win8 before and it did *not* appreciate it!

gak

12 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:I remember a thread at the old PUF about Volvo and I think we resolved it to flying cars.

Much like Win 10 is. :)
Was that douche at the old puff too? He used to terrorize the ableton forum. I think I know two of the people involved btw. They are regular bullies at the reaper forum.

Creativemind

12 Jun 2016

Benedict wrote:I kept getting the upgrade option. Then I tried. Big fail as in actual fact my PC couldn't handle Win 10 (some of the cards). Bit of a contrast with the software telling me it was all ready to run. Had to nuke and start again with Win 7. Oddly since then no Win 10 upgrade offer.

:)
Lol!

I kept getting the 'Upgrade to Windows 10' option as well. It was flashing up for a couple of weeks or so, this was up until about 2 weeks ago when I was doing the washing up with You Tube on In the background. Suddenly, the music stopped? "Huh? what's going on?". Went in my bedroom where the computer was and my computer was amidst restarting. Windows 10 was installing. Buggers. Without my permission.

It's ok but not totally sold on it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

12 Jun 2016

gak wrote:
Dabbler wrote:I feel, resistance is futile.
It's true. The good news is it just keep getting better.

If you feel security is a problem, look up your records based simply on your name. You should be more afraid of that than windows 10.

I do hate the auto updates. That has been a headache.
Records by name, how d'ya mean?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

gak

12 Jun 2016

Look it up. Put your name in. Follow the trail.

13 bucks will get cha everything.

Anyways, spam, mail, records, spending habits. It's all been done. If a hacker wants to hack you, they are going to.

Gorgon

13 Jun 2016

adfielding wrote: That's actually really surprising, I've tried doing that with Win8 before and it did *not* appreciate it!
Exactly. Hence my surprise. But consider this, how long does it take you to reinstall your system after such an upgrade? Easily 2 or 3 days before everything is back in working order. And now it just adapts by itself, incredible. No idea if it will work with AMD or INTEL <> AMD configurations, would be fun to try that out.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Dabbler

13 Jun 2016

Microsoft just surprised the world with its LinkedIn acquisition. Valued at $26.2 billion.

Futile is resistance.

adfielding

13 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:
adfielding wrote: That's actually really surprising, I've tried doing that with Win8 before and it did *not* appreciate it!
Exactly. Hence my surprise. But consider this, how long does it take you to reinstall your system after such an upgrade? Easily 2 or 3 days before everything is back in working order.
I don't know, I got pretty adept at clean installs over the years :) So long as you get a list of applications to install & drivers ready beforehand, it can be surprisingly quick. Not that I want to do it again any time soon, mind! This sounds like a MUCH nicer solution, for sure.

XysteR

13 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:
Vyckeil wrote: Windows 10 is a very good OS. People aren't complaning about its quality, they're complaining about the super pushy tactics that Microsoft are using to install the OS on your computer. There's a big difference between installing a crappy OS and your computer being highjacked by the OS manufacturer to install things you don't want.
I installed my new motherboard and CPU, then I wondered "will this SSD with my old system on it boot on Windows 10 without any manual modification?". So I plugged it in, it booted up, did some updating and configuring which didn't take more than 10 seconds, and it runs like a breeze, on a completely different motherboard and chipset. I was very impressed. Usually you'd have to reinstall your whole system. Not anymore.
Yes it will - it has an extensive driver library and checks during install if you leave it connected to your LAN too. A motherboard change will deactivate your Windows 10 licence though as the activation is tied to your mainboard bios. Scroll to the bottom of your 'System' info window, you'll see it's deactivated.

apostlethirteen

24 Jun 2016

Just install windows 10 and stop complaining about the ... notifications?
It is worth it, I do not regret it 8.1 was nice, 7 sucked, so did vista and everything before that.
Only time I get a crash in 10 is when my video driver crashes, that is usually due to alpha and beta gaming. No problems with music production at all.
In fact. Im running reason now, and I get 10% cpu usage and 15% ram usage while actually editing and playing the song.

Name: Ricky Neff
Reason 8.x.x - 9
:adapted: :re: :refill: :rt:

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2016

I did get an issue with my Mackie Onyx not having official support, but I got it up and running with compatibility mode in the end.

I was appalled by the automatic install it attempted. That was not cool because it ran the risk of blitzing any software that wasn't fully compatible (like my Mackie), plus I didn't want Reason Authorizer to think it was on another machine.

ProfessaKaos

27 Jun 2016

normen wrote:Funny thing: They lured me with the "threat" that the update wouldn't be free anymore so I "booked" it, thinking I could still decide for myself when the update would be installed. The updater took that as a cue to set a date to install the update by itself. When after a few update warnings I had set the updater to the last available date and it came up again I thought "no problem, just say 'no' when the updater asks for admin rights, that should stop it from doing anything". But NOPE, right in the middle of a gaming session with a friend the OS just shut down and proceeded to install the update. So I turned off the computer right when the warning "don't turn off your computer!" was on the screen. It booted up again just fine because it was just "preparing" the update. So when it was booted again I pressed the little task tray button and selected "check status of order" and canceled the order, then turned off the updater stuff completely. OR DID I?? Of course the offer to install came up again.

I mean what kind of admin rights system is this when an app can do anything it wants without me granting admin rights??

Given that I spent about a day to make the whole thing work for Reason with MIDI drivers, audio drivers, system settings and whatnot I am pretty sure the windows 10 update will cause issues or at least take me another day to re-configure everything. Thats what you get for thinking you could save a few bucks by not using another Mac for the Reason rig ^^ My main mixing computer is on Mac and I'll sure as heck get another one when I update the Reason rig again. If I translate the additional time I spent for configuring and this kind of shit to money I'm easily at the price for an iMac...
Games in Windows 10 seem run a lot better performance wise due to DirectX 12. In Windows 7 I couldn't get Far Cry 4 to run at it's highest settings without being unplayable, but in Windows 10 I can and it's very playable.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

normen

27 Jun 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote: Games in Windows 10 seem run a lot better performance wise due to DirectX 12. In Windows 7 I couldn't get Far Cry 4 to run at it's highest settings without being unplayable, but in Windows 10 I can and it's very playable.
I'm only really playing Total War: Warhammer and World of Tanks on it, its got a 660 or suchthing Nvidia card, so by far not a beast. I since took the time and installed Win10 and actually Warhammer had some issues since then, not much change in WoT, don't think DX12 will do wonders with that graphics card anyway.

But yeah, had to reinstall the Behringer MIDI drivers and reconfigure a few things - as expected. Otherwise - it's Windows ^^

ProfessaKaos

27 Jun 2016

normen wrote:
ProfessaKaos wrote: Games in Windows 10 seem run a lot better performance wise due to DirectX 12. In Windows 7 I couldn't get Far Cry 4 to run at it's highest settings without being unplayable, but in Windows 10 I can and it's very playable.
I'm only really playing Total War: Warhammer and World of Tanks on it, its got a 660 or suchthing Nvidia card, so by far not a beast. I since took the time and installed Win10 and actually Warhammer had some issues since then, not much change in WoT, don't think DX12 will do wonders with that graphics card anyway.

But yeah, had to reinstall the Behringer MIDI drivers and reconfigure a few things - as expected. Otherwise - it's Windows ^^
Understandable, I only upgraded when I knew all my drivers had been updated for Windows 10. Since I upgraded though, my Waves Gold bundle and some additional Waves plugins don't work, so yeah I've had my fair share of headaches with Windows 10 also, it's been good with games though haha. :(
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

CharlyCharlzz

29 Jun 2016

my windows 8 computer can't fit in a upgrade so Lucky was me .....a bit weird a 2013 computer can't but who cares
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Dabbler

30 Jun 2016

Funny - the old "yes means no" ploy. :thumbs_down:

MS uses language to rule the world! :thumbs_down:

Oh the implications of that. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:

This so applies to Microsoft right now :puf_bigsmile:

Dabbler

30 Jun 2016

avasopht wrote:
Dabbler wrote:

This so applies to Microsoft right now :puf_bigsmile:
Applies to the Father's Day gift I received this year as well.
I didn't ask for it.
I don't know how it became known as something I wanted.
And because I was underwhelmed and showed a lukewarm reaction - I am now the bad guy who sits in the house of the dog.
It's all about expectations.
It's like Christmas.
I get that you put a lot of thought and energy into it.
I appreciate the gesture.
But I don't want it.

jonheal

30 Jun 2016

adfielding wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
That's actually really surprising, I've tried doing that with Win8 before and it did *not* appreciate it!
Yeah, I wouldn't count on a drastic change like that going smoothly very often, but I'm glad it worked for you. Maybe Win 10 abstracts the hardware layer better than previous versions.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

jonheal

30 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:Microsoft just surprised the world with its LinkedIn acquisition. Valued at $26.2 billion.

Futile is resistance.
I was liking Microsoft. Now I hate them again. I hate that sychophantic circle jerk AKA LinkedIn. Which reminds me, I need to delete my account ...
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

sentient.minority

04 Jul 2016

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/workspa ... -up-194676

The Windows 10 fiasco sucks, if I were to update my piece of s*** Dell i3 work computer to Windows 10, as it keeps suggesting I should, it would implode from lack of power.

Just wish that nag screen would just f*** off TBH.

Been happily using an alternate vendor of hardware and software for about four years now and have no intention of going back to Microsoft.

adfielding

04 Jul 2016

sentient.minority wrote:Just wish that nag screen would just f*** off TBH.
Try Never10 ;)

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

• Information