The Unofficial Euro 2016 thread.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EpiGenetik

10 Jun 2016

Well, someone had to start it.

Who do you fancy to win it?
For me it's Germany or Spain. I would back the hosts France but the lack of Karim Benzema is a stunning kick to the nuts for them.

Who will be the star player?
I've always been impressed with Kevin De Bruyne and Paul Pogba, although I can't help wonder if Robert Lewandowski can find the right form will he make a serious impact.

How far will your home team go (if applicable)?
I'm Scottish so mostly neutral, happy enough to see England do well as they won't be a team full of arrogant knobends this time around. I typically support Holland if Scotland aren't playing but they didn't qualify either, and neither did Denmark or Norway, my other usual fallbacks. My loudest cheers will be backing Sweden (this is a Propellerhead forum after all), and to a lesser extent both Irelands and Wales.

Get the opinions coming :)

B

Chizmata

10 Jun 2016

ive never been so unhype. i mainly care about seeing Hector from Germany play as long as i cant watch him play for my club cologne :D. other than that, germany ftw!

The_G

10 Jun 2016

Fingers crossed for Sweden but I doubt we have much chance this year--Zlatan may be a force of nature but you still need to get him the ball. And besides, Germany just look too good. But hey...Greece won in 2004, so anything is possible.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

adfielding

10 Jun 2016

I'm not particularly interested in football, but with tournaments like this I always like to stick a cheeky bet or two on England losing because I'm a colossal bastard.

Gorgon

10 Jun 2016

The red devils all the way!

:twisted:
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

decibel

10 Jun 2016

oh ? this is about men who like to play with inflated balls ? carry on then

Kenni
Site Admin

10 Jun 2016

decibel wrote:oh ? this is about men who like to play with inflated balls ? carry on then
Sorry, I'll make an official topic when there's a big tournament for men who like to play with inflated eggs. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

EpiGenetik

10 Jun 2016

decibel wrote:oh ? this is about men who like to play with inflated balls ? carry on then
....of course, the politically sensitive term is "swollen".

jus' sayin' :D

decibel

10 Jun 2016

lol ;)

EpiGenetik

11 Jun 2016

So the first game wasn't too bad at all. I thought France didn't really click to start off with and Romania genuinely looked like they could beat them... masses of skill from the French but a bit of a lack of a game plan. In the end they won, and looked good overall, but I really can't help thinking that if a few of the chances that fell in to the path of Romania's Stancu had fallen in front of say (Ronaldo, Muller, Goetze, Ibrahimovic......) then France would have been punished. I also thought that France needed to be a bit more patient in the build up from defence - there was a lot of lumping it forward and hoping for the best, and not a whole lot of running back from midfield. When France actually did do this they were at their most dangerous. Still there is also a lot to be said for the nervousness of the French side on the first day impeding them a bit.

As for Romania, they should still fancy it. They can probably beat Albania, and if they can sneak a draw against Switzerland then they will probably make the last 16.

So today......

Albania vs Switzerland (No offence to Albanians but you're going to lose here :) Let's be honest, I have every respect for them making the best of a bad situation, but they didn't really qualify in a particularly convincing manner).
Wales vs Slovakia
England vs Russia

The latter two should be great games with the sides being pretty well balanced.

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Jun 2016

Lowlifebware wrote:How far will your home team go (if applicable)?
Now I hope they'll go through to playoffs.
P.S. The first match ended 1:1. There are chances.

Gorgon

11 Jun 2016

You like to play with stupid computers that make noise. How mature.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

EpiGenetik

12 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:
Lowlifebware wrote:How far will your home team go (if applicable)?
Now I hope they'll go through to playoffs.
P.S. The first match ended 1:1. There are chances.
Indeed. I thought Russia's defence was brilliant last night, but they were poor up front. England were the exact opposite.

Now both teams need to beat Slovakia to get through, and if they want to win the group they will need to beat Wales, who looked absolutely fantastic :puf_smile:

...so today we have Turkey vs Croatia (probably a Croat win but you never really know with Turkey)
NI vs Poland (I'll be watching this one, will NI play a blinder or will Lewandowski be "in the mood")
Germany vs Ukraine (Can't see this going well for Ukraine, but you never know.)

Enjoy
B

Ostermilk

12 Jun 2016

Kenni wrote:
Sorry, I'll make an official topic when there's a big tournament for men who like to play with inflated eggs. :)
Superbowl then?

EpiGenetik

13 Jun 2016

SO, some great games on day 3, no surprises results wise although I thought Ukraine played really well and maybe losing 2-0 was a bit harsh, but that's just Germany for you, when it matters they fucking deliver! NI concentrated on closing down Lewandowski, but forgot about the other 10 guys - tbh they looked seriously out of their depth and will probably go on to lose all 3 games. Croatia looked good, but they can be great if Rakitic can start to produce the form we know he's capable of.

Today it's Spain! Time to count the professional fouls from Sergio Ramos! Czech Rep should prove to be difficult opposition.
Later it's Sweden vs Ireland - I want both teams to win :)
Then arguably the first big mouthwatering tie of the tournament- Belgium vs Italy - Really dunno about the outcome of this but I'm gonna pick Belgium for the win.

Enjoy :)
B

Gaja

13 Jun 2016

Yeah Ukraine played really well and did pressure the germans a lot in the first half, but then appeared a little overwhelmed by the germans' adjustments at first. Great game they had in the back, I mean it was a bit messy, but all in all they closed up really well. Ukraine would have easily deserved a tie imo.
Anyway, hoping for belgium to win today ;)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

EpiGenetik

14 Jun 2016

So Italy dazzled against Belgium, with the kind of play you expect from them - not my cup of tea, but it's effective. Sweden and Ireland produced a pretty good game, and Spain looked great against a Czech side that was a fair bit below their usual standards. I should have checked this beforehand but the Czech team only has 2 guys I've heard of right now (Rosicky and Plasil), so they're obviously in a transition period right now.

Today, the world's favourite smug little shit Cristiano Ronaldo is in action for Portugal against Iceland, who are worryingly good for a nation of their size. Difficult to say but prob a win for Portugal, or maybe a draw, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see Iceland win it though. Austria also play Hungary, neither team I know much about, so that could be cool.

Skullture

14 Jun 2016

Lowlifebware wrote:So Italy dazzled against Belgium, with the kind of play you expect from them - not my cup of tea, but it's effective.
It's simple. Conte is genious. Wilmots is a low class beginner. He shouldn't be leading Belgium's best generation in years. What a waste. I was totally bummed last night because it was really clear the Belgians have more talented players but they weren't running enough and their position play was totally off. Italy on the other hand executed their strategy perfectly in about 4 moments when the Belgians were off position. But I honestly can't shake the thought that Belgium would have had a perfect change if that douchebag Eder didn't stop Mertens. That should have been a RED card, but obviously the referee is a brit and hates Belgians, so that just bad luck for us once again. Italy 4 yellow cards, Belgium none, who's playing fair here :roll: ref didn't see it, slide some cash to that guy under the table.
Lol sorry for my way too biased opinion, just really hate to see the Red Devils lose to this kind of play but on the other hand most players weren't performing as they should have.

Zac

14 Jun 2016

I'm so pleased for Iceland! What a result, and well deserved. An Icelandic guy called Dagur really helped and encouraged me in my early reason adventures.

Great support as well. Loved one of their chants - "Oooo!".

EpiGenetik

15 Jun 2016

Skullture wrote:
Lowlifebware wrote:So Italy dazzled against Belgium, with the kind of play you expect from them - not my cup of tea, but it's effective.
It's simple. Conte is genious. Wilmots is a low class beginner. He shouldn't be leading Belgium's best generation in years. What a waste. I was totally bummed last night because it was really clear the Belgians have more talented players but they weren't running enough and their position play was totally off. Italy on the other hand executed their strategy perfectly in about 4 moments when the Belgians were off position. But I honestly can't shake the thought that Belgium would have had a perfect change if that douchebag Eder didn't stop Mertens. That should have been a RED card, but obviously the referee is a brit and hates Belgians, so that just bad luck for us once again. Italy 4 yellow cards, Belgium none, who's playing fair here :roll: ref didn't see it, slide some cash to that guy under the table.

Lol sorry for my way too biased opinion, just really hate to see the Red Devils lose to this kind of play but on the other hand most players weren't performing as they should have.
I have no love for a lot of the dirty tricks the Italian team get up to, and there is a strong case to say that the referee let the Belgians down. However I also think that the Belgian team should have brought De Bruyne into the game a lot more than they did - don't get me wrong Hazard is a fantastic player but they needed to show more versatility, and they certainly have the players for it.

Don't be too down about it though, when that other bunch from the Lowlands won it, they lost their first game too :)

EpiGenetik

15 Jun 2016

Zac wrote:I'm so pleased for Iceland! What a result, and well deserved. An Icelandic guy called Dagur really helped and encouraged me in my early reason adventures.

I thought it was just magnificent last night - Bjarnason's goal has to be the best moment of the tournament for me so far.

Gorgon

15 Jun 2016

Lowlifebware wrote:
Zac wrote:I'm so pleased for Iceland! What a result, and well deserved. An Icelandic guy called Dagur really helped and encouraged me in my early reason adventures.

I thought it was just magnificent last night - Bjarnason's goal has to be the best moment of the tournament for me so far.
It was pretty good, easy to see that they knocked Holland out of the cup. :)

CookieClimber

15 Jun 2016

crazy that a team from a country with 300 000 inhabitants (and where most of the year, footballs cant even be outside because of the wind) can beat half of Real Madrid.

I watched the game on a big screen in Lisbon, and people were not very happy to say the least xD

adfielding

15 Jun 2016

I really hope England lose to Wales tomorrow, I want to cash in on my bastard betting streak already.

Skullture

15 Jun 2016

Lowlifebware wrote:
Skullture wrote:

I have no love for a lot of the dirty tricks the Italian team get up to, and there is a strong case to say that the referee let the Belgians down. However I also think that the Belgian team should have brought De Bruyne into the game a lot more than they did - don't get me wrong Hazard is a fantastic player but they needed to show more versatility, and they certainly have the players for it.

Don't be too down about it though, when that other bunch from the Lowlands won it, they lost their first game too :)
Alright, but I can shake the feeling Wilmots will blow it for us and losing to Ireland would be very embarrassing imo :oops:

• Information