The iPhone 7

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Are you getting one?

Yes!
23%
No!
55%
Maybe later...
23%

Total votes: 44
Gorgon

14 Sep 2016

Who's getting one?

*raises hand*

My iPhone 6 Plus is still working great but I could renew my contract with a good deal, so I'm expecting my 128 Gb Black iPhone 7 Plus soon. :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Last Alternative

14 Sep 2016

Besides $33 in taxes, it's only 1 penny more in monthly payments so I preordered the other day.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

kuhliloach

14 Sep 2016

only if it has Ableton Link :lol:

Vince-Noir-99

14 Sep 2016

The Apple brand is considered by many a way of life or even a religion. As this topic is a very dividing one, I recommend being carful dropping the "i-[whatever]" word, especially for a poll in which "no" is an option... some people may find it offensive. ;)

Last Alternative

14 Sep 2016

Haha. I had many problems with Android and Windows phones and zero problems with the iPhone. However, I despise Apple and swear by Windows computers.. As long as it's Windows 7! Screw 8 & 10!
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

eusti

14 Sep 2016

Last Alternative wrote:However, I despise Apple and swear by Windows computers.. As long as it's Windows 7! Screw 8 & 10!
It seems you are on the right track in regards to Mac vs. PC... I dislike PCs, but did some tests with a friend and my Mac (although better spec'ed) performed much less strong than his PC both running Reason...

D.

Gorgon

15 Sep 2016

kuhliloach wrote:only if it has Ableton Link :lol:
It does, the iPhone 6 does as well. Synced Figure to Ableton live yesterday.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

15 Sep 2016

Last Alternative wrote:Haha. I had many problems with Android and Windows phones and zero problems with the iPhone. However, I despise Apple and swear by Windows computers.. As long as it's Windows 7! Screw 8 & 10!
Windows 10 runs great. :)

O1B

16 Sep 2016

Yep. 7 Plus mañana.
the 6 Plus lags with Traktor so i need some 10X Chip Love. Im also Interested in what Asphalt 9 will look like.
About Speed … Mac vs PC, I prefer objective tests:
the iPhone 7 series beats all newcomers on every score, including Samsung's new Galaxy S7 and Note 7 Android Image
More impressively perhaps, the A10 Fusion processor scores faster overall results than every MacBook Air Apple has ever made, only once falling behind a multi-core score recorded for the early 2015 MacBook Air, which is powered by an Intel Core i7

plaamook

20 Sep 2016

Wow, the iphone 7! It's so minimal it's not even there. Not in my pocket anyway. Nope. I'm in the -no headphone port no iphone 7- camp. Can't have a hands free conversation while charging. Can't listen to music while chargeing. Or I could go spend more money on all new heaphones that I also have to charge. No fucking way. Not until I absolutely have to and by then who knows. I'm not so hard on my gear, I'm getting an SE and barricading myself in for as long as I can!

Baricading myself in and waiting for them to drop the port on fucking MBP's as well. Which saved my ass on a gig where my interface died. Just hope they drop the 'pro' bit along with it...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

tronam

20 Sep 2016

There's nothing new about an omitted headphone jack on smartphones. I used to work for Google and supported the launch of their first flagship Android phone, the G1 (or Dream). Ironically it had no headphone jack at all and instead included a USB-to-3.5mm adapter in the box. Sound familiar? It's funny how we've come full circle on this again because it was the iPhone that standardized the 3.5mm port on smartphones in the first place by heavily influencing the popularization of the phone as also being an iPod or MP3 player; a convergence device. Back then portable music players were still huge business since most phones didn't have enough internal storage or user friendly music software to make it practical.

What I find more interesting about the iPhone 7 though is its A10 Fusion processor, easily the most powerful mobile processor in the world. It's performance has begun to eclipse many entry level laptops at considerably lower heat and power consumption. This makes me wonder how far away we are from A-series powered MacBooks.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

kuhliloach

20 Sep 2016

What I wanted was a beefier, heartier, more rugged analog headphone jack with an improved built-in DAC capable of driving a wider range of professional headphones without the need for an external headphone amp. That's the kind of thing that would bring me to my knees begging for an iPhone 7.

As it stands I wouldn't carry around that POS if you paid me.

gak

21 Sep 2016

"iphone 7, you waited a long time and paid through the nose for a phone that works about like the one you had before" :lol:

Then again, probably most people had "over-loved" their previous versions.

Tumble

21 Sep 2016

Fuck no. The cheapest model is like 1000€ and the 256GB version costs as much as an Elektron Analog Four.

tronam

21 Sep 2016

kuhliloach wrote:What I wanted was a beefier, heartier, more rugged analog headphone jack with an improved built-in DAC capable of driving a wider range of professional headphones without the need for an external headphone amp. That's the kind of thing that would bring me to my knees begging for an iPhone 7.

This kind of expectation from a mainstream consumer device? That's unrealistic and makes very little sense with the continually shrinking internal real estate of modern smartphones to accommodate larger batteries and upcoming tech like new sensors and taptic motors. I'd much prefer a high end digital lightning-to-audio adapter developed by a professional audio focused company who specializes in high quality DACs and headphone amps, kind of like with computers. It'd also benefit from being away from the battery and power supply.

kuhliloach

21 Sep 2016

tronam wrote:
kuhliloach wrote:What I wanted was a beefier, heartier, more rugged analog headphone jack with an improved built-in DAC capable of driving a wider range of professional headphones without the need for an external headphone amp. That's the kind of thing that would bring me to my knees begging for an iPhone 7.

This kind of expectation from a mainstream consumer device? That's unrealistic and makes very little sense with the continually shrinking internal real estate of modern smartphones to accommodate larger batteries and upcoming tech like new sensors and taptic motors. I'd much prefer a high end digital lightning-to-audio adapter developed by a professional audio focused company who specializes in high quality DACs and headphone amps, kind of like with computers. It'd also benefit from being away from the battery and power supply.
I hear that it just seems we're going backwards. The iPhone 7 is simply an inferior device to previous iPhones. It's missing important features consumers want.

Previous iPhones at least had some kind of DAC. It doesn't seem unrealistic to want a quality DAC inside the newest device, if not better than ever. Forcing people to carry an external DAC around is completely silly and I predict they will correct the mistake in future iPhones. I have no plans to purchase another iPhone at this time.

tronam

22 Sep 2016

kuhliloach wrote:
tronam wrote: This kind of expectation from a mainstream consumer device? That's unrealistic and makes very little sense with the continually shrinking internal real estate of modern smartphones to accommodate larger batteries and upcoming tech like new sensors and taptic motors. I'd much prefer a high end digital lightning-to-audio adapter developed by a professional audio focused company who specializes in high quality DACs and headphone amps, kind of like with computers. It'd also benefit from being away from the battery and power supply.
I hear that it just seems we're going backwards. The iPhone 7 is simply an inferior device to previous iPhones. It's missing important features consumers want.

Previous iPhones at least had some kind of DAC. It doesn't seem unrealistic to want a quality DAC inside the newest device, if not better than ever. Forcing people to carry an external DAC around is completely silly and I predict they will correct the mistake in future iPhones. I have no plans to purchase another iPhone at this time.
What I find most annoying about it is no longer being able to charge the phone while using the wired earbuds. I think we'll be seeing more of this though, not less. Rumors suggest Samsung's upcoming flagship S8 will be omitting it as well and quite often the rest of the market follows the big players.

I feel mixed about it. On the one hand I do like the idea of pushing the industry forward to develop higher quality and more reliable wireless audio solutions, but we aren't there yet so we're going to be slogging through this clunky period where none of the solutions are all that great. I'm due for an upgrade, but maybe I'll go with the cheaper 6S instead. I do like the waterproofing and dual-camera in the 7+ though.

O1B

22 Sep 2016

Connectors Apple Lightning
MIDI IN: 5-Pin Din jack
Charging Port: DC 5V microUSB

Gorgon

22 Sep 2016

kuhliloach wrote: I hear that it just seems we're going backwards. The iPhone 7 is simply an inferior device to previous iPhones. It's missing important features consumers want.
Yeah I'm sure that's why the pre-order is pretty much sold out and sales records are once again being broken.
If you really want that quality sound (which is quite subjective) that you're looking for, carrying around a small adapter seems like a small price to pay. Also, you get choice in DAC's. What more could you ask for if audio quality is so important to you? I think you don't realize that an iPhone is something else than a portable music player. You might want to look at iPods instead.

Gorgon

29 Sep 2016

I just received mine. It's fantastic.

jonheal

29 Sep 2016

Where's the "I hate cell phones, in general" answer option?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

tronam

30 Sep 2016

jonheal wrote:Where's the "I hate cell phones, in general" answer option?
Calling them "cell phones" anymore is becoming less and less appropriate with each passing year. They're pocket computers -- They just happen to be able to make phone calls as well, among a million other things. :)

I work in this business, so I've got a vested interest in it, but I'm also sensitive to the impact these devices are having on human behavior. They're quite possibly the most disruptive pieces of technology we'll ever see in our lifetimes (unless maybe we live long enough to see fully autonomous vehicles completely transform our roadways and global transportation systems). And they've flooded the market so quickly that it feels like cultural social norms, etiquette etc... haven't had time to catch up yet. For example, I make a very conscious effort to never take mine out when I'm having a conversation with someone, or in a movie theater or when I'm crossing the street. I always grimace when I see others doing that, so I try hard to avoid being a hypocrite and be respectful of others. I do love their ever increasing utility though and with the dramatically improving cameras and sound making apps and accessories, they can be pretty remarkable creative tools as well.

Last Alternative

30 Sep 2016

I have my iPhone 7 now and honestly it's no big deal. Other than being water resistant and the way better camera, there is no excitement about having this thing.

Gorgon

30 Sep 2016

Last Alternative wrote:I have my iPhone 7 now and honestly it's no big deal. Other than being water resistant and the way better camera, there is no excitement about having this thing.
I went from 16Gb to 128Gb so for me there's lots to be excited about. Also, it's way faster than the 6. That may not matter now, but it will in the near future.

O1B

02 Oct 2016

I have a few video Games/Apps that help me judge speed/processing increases.

Asphalt 7 from i5 to i6 in nearly unplayable. i6 moves waaay to fast. … that was 2 chips ago.
And forget about battery life using AniMoog on i6. Even DJ apps are sluggish on the i6 with a few apps open.

the i7 Plus gets here Wed. Its a Loooong way from Henan Province.

• Information