Old school

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
rudiarii

29 Dec 2016

Just listening to the new Rolling Stones album.....it's what they started out with old time blues numbers. I believe they recorded it over a few days,live in the studio.
what was the last CD/Album you bought?
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

FATCheese

29 Dec 2016

Blackstar from David Bowie

Didn't knew I would enjoy it THAT much when I bought it! :)
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

platzangst

29 Dec 2016

Well, the last CD I bought was Demdike Stare's "Wonderland", the 3-CD edition with tons of bonus material. BUT, if we're on the topic of older bands that retain or regain their greatness, I ought to mention Wire, who started as a punk band in 1977, moved quickly to art-pop, has had a variety of stylistic shifts over the years, a couple of breakups/hiatuses, and is still putting out impressively great albums.

From their last full album, "Wire":

Last edited by platzangst on 29 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

HepCat

29 Dec 2016

Last 2 CDs l bought were duds:

- Mrs Woods feat. Eve Gallagher - "Heartbreak" [could not find it anywhere on YouTube and l suspected this was the song l kept hearing in 1996 while high on ecstasy, mixed in with Joanna by Mrs Woods. Turned out to be a totally rubbish song and definitely not the song l was after :( it was so bad l was forced to throw it in the bin]

- "Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me" soundtrack [yet another mistake. I thought l was buying the DVD movie, grrr]

rudiarii

29 Dec 2016

Bowie had some interesting writing techniques...
I'm liking the Wire link...... That's some change n direction.......
Hepcat ..it's funny how we hear things in one state of mind but yet in the cold light of day they don't sound as good. Does that mean the drugs don't work? ;-)
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

platzangst

29 Dec 2016

rudiarii wrote:I'm liking the Wire link...... That's some change n direction.......
I could rave for hours about Wire's ability to shift their sound and not stand around in one style for their career. Wire is the quiet influence: by themselves not as popular as they ought to have been, but a lot of more popular bands were into them.

In '77 they released Pink Flag, which winds up on a lot of "best of" lists, and was very punk-oriented:

But they didn't stay strictly punk, and went to a more arty sound for its two followup albums (this song would later be covered by Fischerspooner):

They kind of hung it up in 1980, after a disagrement with their record label. They came back in the mid-80's with a more synthetic sound:

Into the 90s they grew more techno-sounding (at this point the drummer had left the band, temporarily):

They went dormant again, but came back in the 00's, full lineup, with the blistering album Send:

After this, one of the guitarists left the band, and they continued as a trio:

Recently they got another guitarist for live shows, whom they eventually officially folded into the band. In 2013 they took some demos from a show they did in the late 70s and re-worked them for a new album:

And now with "Wire" and "Nocturnal Koreans", they have a more jangly sound, drifting between beautiful pop and still pretty rocking numbers, like so:

So yeah, I could go on about Wire all day if I got started...

16BitBear

30 Dec 2016

I have been slowly purchasing the Real Gone Jazz Classic Album series over the last few months. For December I picked up Arthur Lyman Eight Classic Albums and Mundell Low Seven Classic Albums. The remasters are quite good and it has been great to fill out my jazz CD collection with these.

rudiarii

30 Dec 2016

platzangst...that's quite a musical journey many thanks for those links.....
DJBuddhaBear......I only have few jazz albums...Miles Davis Kind of Blue .....Mose Alison...Sarah Gillespie.....Dave Brubeck I do like them however I much prefer to go and see jazz performed live. I'm fortunate to have a decent jazz club not far from home.

16BitBear

30 Dec 2016

I love it live as well rudiarii. I just can't always get out to it and there really aren't any good jazz clubs in my city. Since I love the genre so much I have quite the collection of CD's instead.

Catblack

30 Dec 2016

I can't remember the last CD I bought. It's been a while. (I used to have 2000 cds, but now I've got like 15 maybe?)

But oh, I love Wire. I actually have a rex loop I've used in on of my tracks taken from "Strange". That song has a guitar so crunchy you could eat it for breakfast.

And I've dug up the old track I did ... 14 years ago.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

rudiarii

31 Dec 2016

My favorite Wire so far is the 90's And Slow It Goes.......

FlowerSoldier

01 Jan 2017

Last CD I bought (which still hasn't arrived from Japan) is Donald Byrd - A New Perspective.

Before that was Tribe Called Quest - Thanks for the Service, We got it from here.
Missing Phife Dawg in 2017. God Bless.

• Information