How many of you ever watched a movie just for the soundtrack ?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RandyEspoda

31 Mar 2017

I'm asking because I recently came across a movie, beyond the black rainbow, that in itself sucked incredibly, but because its review mentioned the story playing out in the '80s with lots of '80s synths, I gave it a whirl. The movie itself was unwatchable, total bs, but the music was phenomenal. All genuine '80s synth sounds, giving off a stranger things kind of vibe.

So I watched the entire thing just to hear every track playing in it.

How many of you ever watched an unwatchable movie, just to hear the soundtrack ?

raymondh

31 Mar 2017

No, but some movies where the soundtrack was a big part of the experience -

Bladerunner
Go
The Matrix
The Wedding Singer
Beverly Hills Cop

and many others :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2017

I'm with Ray and will add

The Wariors
and to some extent Sunshine
of course all the 80's movies like Pretty In Pink & John Carpenter stuff

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

4filegate

01 Apr 2017

TRON: LEGACY containing Daft Punk's audio from the Blu-ray

Karim
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2017

A LOT! The list is long....

About Daft Punk, beautiful soundtrack, awful movie IMO
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Dabbler

01 Apr 2017

2001 a space odyssey has the best rendition of the Blue Danube Waltz.

chk071

01 Apr 2017

I actually prefer video game soundtracks to movie ones. Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief 1-3, Oblivion, to name a few. I wouldn't play a game merely for the soundtrack though. ;)
:reason: :rebirth:

selig
RE Developer

01 Apr 2017

The Mission (barely remember the movie, loved the soundtrack).
Solaris, K-Pax, for the same reason - not that the move was bad, but that I went out and purchased the soundtrack and now can't really even remember the film/story.
Selig Audio, LLC

siln

01 Apr 2017

Gorgon

01 Apr 2017

Nah, I'll just get the OST CD.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Catblack

01 Apr 2017

My favorite soundtrack, and one of my favorite films is The Fountain. If you haven't seen it, I suggest watching it as high def as you can and most importantly watch it LOUD. I love the way it's directed, the geometric symbolism (triangles for the past, squares for the present, circles for the future) and all of it's stylistic choices. It all leads to a moment at the end that any prog-rock band in the 70s would have sold their soul for. Maybe it's not a perfect film, but I love it, and the soundtrack is worth listening in it's entirety.

If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Rook

01 Apr 2017

Catblack wrote:My favorite soundtrack, and one of my favorite films is The Fountain.
I was JUST coming here to post about The Fountain. Definitely one of my favorite soundtracks ever. I love Mogwai too and thought it was pretty cool that they helped with some of it (the track "Stay With Me", I think).

O1B

01 Apr 2017

Police and Theives, Big Payback.... list goes on.

Requiem
Honorable mention - Dance on Dynamite

jutty P

01 Apr 2017

I loved Beyond the Black Rainbow. Don't know why this film gets so much hate but I'm not really surprised. Cool story. Pure atmosphere. Great tension and suspense. Great villain. Score by Sinoia Caves is incredible also.

Catblack

01 Apr 2017

If we are talking about movies with song soundtracks, my favorite of all time is the Rushmore soundtrack.

Damn.

RandyEspoda

02 Apr 2017

O1B wrote:
Requiem
I actually love the movie too, not just the music :redface: :? :lol:

RandyEspoda

02 Apr 2017

jutty P wrote:I loved Beyond the Black Rainbow. Don't know why this film gets so much hate but I'm not really surprised. Cool story. Pure atmosphere. Great tension and suspense. Great villain. Score by Sinoia Caves is incredible also.
I tend to like weird quirky movies, but tbh, half the time I had not a single clue what was going on.
At the end I recognized a fat guy from some other show, which was a bit funny though.

I'd watch it again with my eyes closed :P

O1B

02 Apr 2017

¡Claro, que si!
RandyEspoda wrote:
O1B wrote:
Requiem
I actually love the movie too, not just the music :redface: :? :lol:

siln

02 Apr 2017

i love all the Jim Jarmush s movies and their soundtracks have always a significant place, specially dead man by neil young , and ghost dog by rza/wutang

Catblack

02 Apr 2017

I LOVE the Ghost Dog soundtrack -- the Japanese instrumental version, not the one with all the rapping that got a US release.

Someone's got the whole thing on youtube here:

Damn.

plaamook

03 Apr 2017

I've gone to watch shit films for the sound design. Godzilla for example. Which was also because a freind of mine got some work off it but the SD was great. Film... I could have watched it with my eyes closed.

Still, I'\m glad someone mentioned Solaris. I assume the modern George Clooney version. Cliff Martinez smashed it. One of the best film scores ever IMO. For what it's worth, Arrival was also v good. Not the cheesey piano crap by Hanz whoever but the rest of it by Johann Johannsen. Really great stuff.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

modecca

09 May 2017

I thin u turn has a splendid sound track.
🔗💥

FlowerSoldier

13 May 2017

I watched No Country For Old Men because it has no soundtrack. There is no music in the entire movie.

Gaja

13 May 2017

Most of the movies I watch are for sonic qualities, be it music or sound design. Few movies manage to impress via script/dialogue or even storytelling. Often the acting is fine, VFX is fine, but either dialogue, story or character development are a pita. For example the revenant was acted superbly (even the german sync was done well, which I usually can't stand- no offense joshuaphilgarlic), with fantastic images, but the story and character were incredibly shallow. The Arrival I sadly haven't watched in the English original, but I'll watch it again in original sound both for the approach of the story and the music and Sounddesign (which sadly tends to suffer under the synchronization mix). I'll likely even give starwars another chance for music and sounddesign, both applications are sublime (a trait the characters didn't appear to share last time I watched). Sorry, I hope I'm not offending anyone.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ostermilk

15 May 2017

• Information