How to record audio from audio interface using windows

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Popey
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

Hi I am trying to find a way to record audio and video when working on music so I can send some info to a friend in New Zealand to help them learn.

I can record the video using the xbox screen capture in Windows 10 but it does not capture the audio. I am sure there is probably an easy way to do this but I cannot figure it out.

Is there a way to capture the sound from my scarlett 2i4 with the video? Any advice on how I could make this work appreciated.

Aosta

27 Apr 2022

You could use some short jack cables and go from the speakers out and into the L/R mic inputs adjusting levels and then record into audacity?
This is what I used to do when I had saffire 6.
Tend the flame

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

Aosta wrote: ↑
27 Apr 2022
You could use some short jack cables and go from the speakers out and into the L/R mic inputs adjusting levels and then record into audacity?
This is what I used to do when I had saffire 6.
Thanks for the advice it is really appreciated. My pc does not have a l/r mic input but does have a single mic input I could try. Just need to get some cheap cables to try it as I will need phono to small headphone jack connection. Thanks again for helping πŸ‘

Aosta

27 Apr 2022

Popey wrote: ↑
27 Apr 2022
Thanks for the advice it is really appreciated. My pc does not have a l/r mic input but does have a single mic input I could try. Just need to get some cheap cables to try it as I will need phono to small headphone jack connection. Thanks again for helping πŸ‘
I meant going from the speakers out on your audio interface into the mic inputs on your audio interface so you can record 'what you hear'
You want to capture sound coming out of your audio interface so loop the sound coming out via your scarlet and feed it back into your scarlet and select your scarlet in Reason or Audacity or whatever, you can then capture digitally any analog sounds going into your scarlet.
Tend the flame

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

27 Apr 2022
27 Apr 2022
I meant going from the speakers out on your audio interface into the mic inputs on your audio interface so you can record 'what you hear'
You want to capture sound coming out of your audio interface so loop the sound coming out via your scarlet and feed it back into your scarlet and select your scarlet in Reason or Audacity or whatever, you can then capture digitally any analog sounds going into your scarlet.
Ah I think I understand. I have my monitors attached to my balanced outputs so would need to run from the unbalanced outputs on the scarlett to the xlr on the front and record this like I would a mic or line input into audacity.

Aosta

27 Apr 2022

27 Apr 2022
27 Apr 2022

Ah I think I understand. I have my monitors attached to my balanced outputs so would need to run from the unbalanced outputs on the scarlett to the xlr on the front and record this like I would a mic or line input into audacity.
Exactly!
Balanced or unbalanced so you are feeding your speakers so to speak into mic inputs but be careful on levels because pushed too far you will get bleed back and it will not be pretty. You could also use the headphone out on your scarlet to achieve the same result.
Tend the flame

Popey
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2022

27 Apr 2022
27 Apr 2022

Exactly!
Balanced or unbalanced so you are feeding your speakers so to speak into mic inputs but be careful on levels because pushed too far you will get bleed back and it will not be pretty. You could also use the headphone out on your scarlet to achieve the same result.
Thanks I am going to give this a shot πŸ‘

EdGrip

15 May 2022

You need a piece of free software called Voicemeeter banana mixer. And maybe a bit of perseverance/reading of the help section.

Then you can set your computer's audio as an audio input visible in the mixer of Reason or any other DAW.

It's possible to accidentally induce horrifying digital audio feedback doing this, which you must immediately sample into a techno banger.

Popey
Competition Winner

15 May 2022

EdGrip wrote: ↑
15 May 2022
You need a piece of free software called Voicemeeter banana mixer. And maybe a bit of perseverance/reading of the help section.

Then you can set your computer's audio as an audio input visible in the mixer of Reason or any other DAW.

It's possible to accidentally induce horrifying digital audio feedback doing this, which you must immediately sample into a techno banger.
Cool will have a look at that πŸ‘

• Information