soundcloud is altering my track

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Chizmata

25 Mar 2023

the weirdest thing just happened, i uploaded a track to soundcloud and it simply added a whole range of frequencies. to be precise, one part of the track is a hp (>10khz) static noise in the background - which now sounds as if highpassed at around 200-500 hz, so it has a lot of mid content added. this makes no sense at all, as the software can't even tell single elements from audio, let alone alter them. maybe thats not even whats happening, but its the best way to describe what i'm hearing. i've double checked the .wav file, everything is fine there. ive uploaded a lower db version to rule out distortion - same result. i have also not applied "soundcloud mastering". i have no idea whats going on. does anyone have experiences with this phenomenon or even a solution? thanks!

edit: i have uploaded private versions of "alien worlds" on Soundcloud and bandcamp for comparison, everything is fine with the bandcamp version.

https://chizmata.bandcamp.com/track/njh
Last edited by Chizmata on 25 Mar 2023, edited 6 times in total.

visheshl

25 Mar 2023

It could be their compression algorithm doing sketchy stuff...i have never uploaded uncompressed wavs to SoundCloud...so i really don't know...do they even host wav files ?
Why don't you make a proper mp3 out of it yourself and then upload? See if that works?

Chizmata

25 Mar 2023

visheshl wrote:
25 Mar 2023
It could be their compression algorithm doing sketchy stuff...i have never uploaded uncompressed wavs to SoundCloud...so i really don't know...do they even host wav files ?
Why don't you make a proper mp3 out of it yourself and then upload? See if that works?
they require .wav if you want to distribute to other services as youtube etc. via soundcloud. i will try if an mp3 causes the same problems though

edit: yup, tested it, mp 3 causes the same problem

visheshl

25 Mar 2023

Ok im out of ideas friend...if the mp3 is also doing the same thing, then i dunno man...its not file compression then....maybe there's someone else here who could help...

selig
RE Developer

25 Mar 2023

Your bandcamp link doesn’t work, but the soundcloud version is NOT HP filtered!
I’ve not found soundcloud to change things drastically in the past fwiw…
Selig Audio, LLC

Chizmata

25 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
25 Mar 2023
thx for listening, but i'm not talking about the whole track. its like the static noise i intentionally put into the track (that should be hp filtered at 10khz) is now hp filtered at around 500 hz or lower. like soundcloud simply added content. the other elements seem untouched. its super weird. i'm working on a different master right now though and will check out if this happens again.

and i dont know how to let people access a private bandcamp track

Quarmat
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2023

Chizmata wrote:
25 Mar 2023
Just set track private and copy the link. Very strange behavior you witnessed!

Chizmata

25 Mar 2023

Quarmat wrote:
25 Mar 2023
Chizmata wrote:
25 Mar 2023
Just set track private and copy the link. Very strange behavior you witnessed!
thats what i did, the link works for me

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2023

Chizmata wrote:
25 Mar 2023
selig wrote:
25 Mar 2023
thx for listening, but i'm not talking about the whole track. its like the static noise i intentionally put into the track (that should be hp filtered at 10khz) is now hp filtered at around 500 hz or lower. like soundcloud simply added content. the other elements seem untouched. its super weird. i'm working on a different master right now though and will check out if this happens again.

Still not sure what you’re talking about then, because I can’t hear the ‘before’ version I can’t tell what’s different. If it’s just the noise that’s affected you can solo it and upload it to SC and see if it does the same thing you’re hearing.
Selig Audio, LLC

Chizmata

26 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
26 Mar 2023
Chizmata wrote:
25 Mar 2023

Still not sure what you’re talking about then, because I can’t hear the ‘before’ version I can’t tell what’s different. If it’s just the noise that’s affected you can solo it and upload it to SC and see if it does the same thing you’re hearing.
thats a good idea, i'll try :thumbup:

edit: tried it and the problem disappears. i dont know what to make of it now though.

Chizmata

27 Mar 2023

here are comparison links that should work, the bandcamp one is the "good" version:

edit: ok, now everything is wrong. i give up.

• Information