What do you like most about your own music?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2023

Of course there’s always things we can improve on. But let’s put all our shortcomings aside for a moment. That can be its own thread/topic.

Let’s instead focus on acknowledging our musical qualities for a while. In your own subjective opinion, what do you like most about your own music? Could be one or several things.

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2023

Interesting question. For me it's perhaps the sound design elements of my songs, how a simple sound can be so interesting and change with modulation plus my tunes make me nod my head which is something😂

If I am honest what I most like is the progression of my music after making so many tracks and the fact that usually my last one is better than the previous so it is linked to technical knowledge. I would say my melodies, arps, polymeters etc have all improved so would pick them.

What about yourself TritoneAddiction?

guitfnky

23 Jul 2023

love this topic!

for me, it’s a few things. first, variety. I like that my music reflects a wide range of moods and feelings, sometimes within the same song.

secondly, interplay. the end result can be very complex overall, but any one part is usually very simple. I love what I’ve been able to accomplish despite only having marginal ability and minimal knowledge of theory.

last, authenticity and depth. for me it sits right in an area I wish more popular music would target—catchy and accessible, without being shallow or trite. I don’t filter my music to fit a target audience or genre. selfishly, I write music for me first—as a release—helps keep me sane. hopefully others will like it too.

I hope to get to read very many answers from others in here—great topic!

to that end, what about you, Tritone?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Aosta

23 Jul 2023

I like that I am able to make such an eclectic mix of music, I have an entire world of sounds in Reason to chose from. I also like that I aim for the unconventional and always try to make it sound unique and different.
Tend the flame

integerpoet

23 Jul 2023

guitfnky wrote:
23 Jul 2023
I love what I’ve been able to accomplish despite only having marginal ability and minimal knowledge of theory.
This. My whole "career" in music has been amazing myself with the impossibility of it.

I guess that's more about the experience of making the music than the music itself.

I hate my music. It's terrible. No one should visit my SoundCloud.

huggermugger

23 Jul 2023

I like that I get a woody whenever I listen to it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2023

I find many of my tracks to be pretty memorable. I suspect that comes from me going for melodies that are simple, ”hummable” and to me natural sounding, rather than going for something more complicated. It’s not unusual that I let my singing voice dictate where a melody should go when I write music.

I think over the years I’ve developed my own sound. Even though styles can vary from song to song, it still feels like me. I haven’t really made any concious effort to create my own sound. It’s more just taken shape naturally after writing hundreds of tunes.

I like that I write music to please myself, with little regard to how it might be percieved by others. I personally like when artists do that. I want to hear the music people want to make, not the music they feel like they ”should” make in order to please an audience.

dvdrtldg

23 Jul 2023

I like to think of my stuff as music for people who are into weed & psychedelics, or who (like me) have put weed & psychedelics aside in recent years but still kinda miss them. If I ever think I've really "nailed it" with a track, it's usually because it recalls that transcendent, awestruck experience - usually via some sort of texture or mood. Hard to define, but I know it when I hear it, and sometimes I manage to pull it off. A lot of my stuff is based on drones or field recordings, so it's all about the sound really

I've also been experimenting a bit with what I guess you'd call "minimal dub techno" or something like that, which is a tricky genre because it's so hard to come up with something that doesn't sound like everybody else's stab at minimal dub techno. I've done one or two pieces that I think have their own character, and a sound that I'm really happy with

challism

23 Jul 2023

huggermugger wrote:
23 Jul 2023
I hope that's a euphemism for a guitar.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

huggermugger

23 Jul 2023

challism wrote:
23 Jul 2023
huggermugger wrote:
23 Jul 2023
It is in fact a euphemism for a guitar. What else could it possibly be? :lol:

Loque

23 Jul 2023

I like it most, when I get a track done.

Beside that, the sounds I create and if I can create an emotional or psychological effect.
Reason12, Win10

SebAudio

24 Jul 2023

Popey wrote:
23 Jul 2023
Interesting question. For me it's perhaps the sound design elements of my songs, how a simple sound can be so interesting and change with modulation plus my tunes make me nod my head which is something😂

If I am honest what I most like is the progression of my music after making so many tracks and the fact that usually my last one is better than the previous so it is linked to technical knowledge. I would say my melodies, arps, polymeters etc have all improved so would pick them.
Exactly what I think ! :-)
I just put in first place the sole fact that « my » music exists. I don’t know what I’d have been without making tracks.

integerpoet

26 Jul 2023

huggermugger wrote:
23 Jul 2023
challism wrote:
23 Jul 2023

It is in fact a euphemism for a guitar. What else could it possibly be? :lol:

plaamook

28 Jul 2023

Well, I make what I consider to be the only relevant diving/oceanic industrial ambient music.
Aside from a few personal other things (Tron from Deathprod for example) I'm the one eyed king in my own blind emerald green/deep blue kingdom and I love nearly every aspect of my music. Which is why I make it. From the proto engine beat structures to the full on charges to the deteriorated sound objects rusting to the sound of compressors and helmets and regulators hissing away. Organic and non organic sound textures and patterns trying to describe things I've seen but can't word. Or can't hear. Light shimmering or cascading down from the surface. Emotionally ambiguous drones structures. The sound of being in something overpowering and overwhelming. The clockwork rotation of the moon and the sea.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2023

Popey wrote:
23 Jul 2023
Yes with that amount of tracks coming out on a regular basis you're bound to improve. The good thing about actually finishing so many tracks (and not just starting them) is that you get to practise all the steps of making music: writing, producing, arranging, mixing.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2023

I gotta say after reading peoples posts, I feel an urge to dive bit deeper into everyone's music.
Interesting stuff. :thumbs_up:

Quarmat
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2023

I like to follow a serendipity in which I ask myself: is this really me writing this? Over the years I have managed to accumulate a bit of craft and trickery and knowledge to make these inspirations materialise faster, more faithfully and sound better. The music I write that I like best is music that I thought I couldn't write but somehow I did!

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Jul 2023
Popey wrote:
23 Jul 2023
Yes with that amount of tracks coming out on a regular basis you're bound to improve. The good thing about actually finishing so many tracks (and not just starting them) is that you get to practise all the steps of making music: writing, producing, arranging, mixing.
Most definitely and I have also tried to focus on different aspects I felt lacking as I made them, so one song may have a focus on me learning compression, one reverb, one delays etc etc. It is now I find myself joining the dots and helping me make decisions based on what I want to achieve.

Still got a long way to go and don't think I will ever stop learning but it certainly helps with the enjoyment seeing progression.

plaamook

30 Jul 2023

Quarmat wrote:
29 Jul 2023
I like to follow a serendipity in which I ask myself: is this really me writing this? Over the years I have managed to accumulate a bit of craft and trickery and knowledge to make these inspirations materialise faster, more faithfully and sound better. The music I write that I like best is music that I thought I couldn't write but somehow I did!
Absolutely.
If I don’t surprise myself I don’t feel satisfied. But then at the end of so much experimentation I’m often left feeling like I didn’t actually ‘do’ anything. I was just another part of the machine.
It’s inherently humbling.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Superology

01 Aug 2023

Honesty. If I can't make anything I simply don't do it. I try to learn first.

integerpoet

01 Aug 2023

Quarmat wrote:
29 Jul 2023
The music I write that I like best is music that I thought I couldn't write but somehow I did!
(looks at literally all his own released tracks)

• Information