I'm letting my R+ subscription expire

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
carvingcode

05 Aug 2023

FWIW Dept:

I've worked with Reason since v6, upgraded many times and currently own a license to v12. I've purchased several Reason devices and many 3rd party rack devices over the years. I'm mostly using Live these days and have VSTs that cover a lot of ground. Sad to say, I don't think I'll miss R+ offerings at all.

[/confession mode off]

Peace

integerpoet

07 Aug 2023

One of the things that keeps me on Reason-the-DAW is that I don't enjoy managing a library of libraries of VSTs.

But I get the impression since the advent of RRP that RS won't consider you disloyal for switching DAWs. :-)

Ichooselife

29 Aug 2023

integerpoet wrote:
07 Aug 2023
One of the things that keeps me on Reason-the-DAW is that I don't enjoy managing a library of libraries of VSTs.

But I get the impression since the advent of RRP that RS won't consider you disloyal for switching DAWs. :-)
do u mean you don’t really use vst ?

integerpoet

30 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
29 Aug 2023
integerpoet wrote:
07 Aug 2023
do u mean you don’t really use vst ?
I try not to. I'm overall happier when I don't — even though it means I suffer some FOMO. :-)

I try to stay conscious of my limits as a composer/producer being mostly me, not my tools. If I give in to GAS (VST, RE, or otherwise), I do it knowing it's probably just a brief entertainment and my primary frustration will remain having too many stalled projects and too few finished ones. VST isn't gonna help with that. The very best racquet will not help me become a tennis champion. (Yet. :-))

Anyway, I give in to temptation for Ozone, but I developed that addiction when Izotope provided a stand-alone app, which is how I started with it, so I forgive myself. And really, from a workflow perspective, one shouldn't be spending a lot of time with a mastering suite anyway because that's an indication that the mix has problems. (I'm not just parroting the common wisdom here. I'm starting to experience how true it is.)

(I have also experimented with Neutron because it seems to have some time-savers I'd like a lot more if they didn't imply so much latency. I think there's a recent forum thread from me about this. I might be holding Neutron or VST in general wrong.)

So, yeah, anybody wanna convince me to try something that's as good as Ozone and offers a stand-alone app? I really would like to go back to that workflow. The fact that Ozone is available as VST makes it too tempting to slap it into a project way too early just to get the neurotransmitter hit of seeing into a future which probably won't actually happen because I'm not gonna finish this damned project. I am weak! I need to be protected from myself.

One might argue that I should take whatever it is I think I have learned about mastering (ha ha) and try to apply it using the MClass devices and see if I can get results I find as pleasing, but I suspect that would probably take a lot of time just to discover that it would take me a lot of time on a per-project basis.

• Information