Recording midi using a bass station 2

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Liam Prince

30 Jun 2016

I'm rebuilding my studio after a long break from reason, I've bought reason 9 and have also bought a novation bass station 2. I was hoping to use this as a midi keyboard. I've connected the bs2 to my PC via usb and I can play instruments in reason using it, the pitch controls etc move on the screen when I move them on the bs2, but whenever I try to record anything that I'm playing, no notes or controller changes get recorded, I've followed all the steps recommend but still can't record anything in the piano roll, any suggestions would be great as the frustration is starting to build. Cheers Liam.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2016

Did you setup the keyboard as a surface controller or a Midi input? It has to be a surface controller for it to work.

Liam Prince

30 Jun 2016

Hi Carly, I've set it up as a control surface, it wouldn't auto detect but it is being recognised. I've just tried recording using the function to play the notes on the computer keyboards using numbers and letters, and notes record fine. I've also tried using a midi to usb cable and the same problem exits, I can play the reason instrument from the bs2 but when recording no notes are stored.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2016

What did you set it up as ? i.e Other Midi surface controller? or one of the other "Novation" ones?

Off the top off my head it should work, I know that if you have a midi controller that is coming in via the Midi input (i.e. setup via Adanced Midi )that does not record.

Liam Prince

30 Jun 2016

In preferences, control surfaces, I selected add, chose novation, and selected the 25 note controller i think, I'm in work so can't check at the moment. It's odd why I can play the instrument perfectly but can't record.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2016

What you could try is untick the controller you have added (no need to remove it) and add a new one using Other>Midi Keyboard(No Controls) and set your midi input and try that.

Liam Prince

30 Jun 2016

I'll give that a try in the morning and let you know the outcome, thanks for your help, LP.

Liam Prince

01 Jul 2016

It worked! Thanks for the advice Carly, can't tell you how happy I was to see the notes appear on the first record after following your instructions, I've mapped the faders etc and can now record automation too.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2016

Liam Prince wrote:It worked! Thanks for the advice Carly, can't tell you how happy I was to see the notes appear on the first record after following your instructions, I've mapped the faders etc and can now record automation too.
Good news, I'm happy for you, can't wait to hear what you are up to :)

• Information