Reference monitoring

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Marco Raaphorst

18 Nov 2016

Since I became a full time audio/music professional, since April 2003, I have been a bit unlucky with monitor speakers. I have been using Triple-P Pyramids for many years. They are like Auratones but a little better sounding. Particularity great for voices and getting the midrange right. One of the speakers started to rattle and I got a new one under warranty. Then another one started to rattle too and warranty covered it no longer (I get the impression the Pyramids are very weak). I then bought Equator D-5 speakers. In late 2014. I detected a weird difference in the stereo image and felt they, left and right, were differently sounding. I did a short test and blaimed my room acoustics, one wall being more polished than the other one. I compensated the input sensitivity a bit and was able to do many cool stuff using that pair.

Recently I bought a pair of isoAcoustics stands and again the difference appeared to me. Both speakers have a different midrange and highrange. How could I be so stupid to ignore these issues for almost 2 years? Well I did. I will need to take out the amps and send them to the States for repair (I hope they CAN repair it!), so both speakers will match. Kinda weird that these speakers came from the factory unmatched!

BUT it made me think. What is the reference most people listen to these days? Headphones maybe, Samsung standards, iPhone standards, MacBook Pro (how I hate the distortion in MacBook Pro and harsh aliasing in the upper mids!), iPads?

I guess most people listen to small speakers. Even using the speaker inside their iPhone (prone to distortion too because it uses too much low end!).

What do you think?

MitchClark89

18 Nov 2016

hello marcos

i listen to reference speakers behringer truth 8203A and also on beyer dt880 headphones when everyone is all asleep. they sound very very different from one to the other but i am more interested at this stage to get back to actual creative production and not worry for now about this problem as i do not have any of the money for it just for now and i have to take one thing at a time LOL

sorry if this was not helpful

Marco Raaphorst

18 Nov 2016

I connected my old triple-p speakers. I checked the cones, pushed them a little bit and inspected the rattle I was having. weird thing is: no rattle at the moment. I tested it will a sort of test tones, sine waves at different octaves and pitches.

it's weird. there's no low end. but the midrange is really fantastic. it's just superb for vocals. guitars. it sounds analog, although I know it doesn't make sense :)

and these speakers are great for not disturbing any neighbours.

mixing and sound quality is kinda weird. you want to make things sound good and balanced, while at the same time you know that if it is too perfect it doesn't sound nice. at least that is my opinion. something that is raw is often preferable over something that is too polished.

I play guitar, an instrument which is far from perfect. my Strat hums, there's noise, fret noise, it's never perfectly in tune. but man, I LOVE it. and that's because it's raw, because it is not perfect.

4filegate

19 Nov 2016

I'll keep my fingers crossed they can FIX it!

There's access on reference System, but nothing works below 80Hz - on the other side 'it make more music'
explainer the bedroom MIX engineered - on few digital uploads you'll find a MASTERING or we've been there already?
It make no sense (MIX too loud) with same room/gear/DAW handcrafted MASTERING came from the same human
description/links on 'Show more' SC soundcloud 4filegate

note: Ratings and Reviews http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2 ... r?fnode=4c
seen a good alternative to original http://www.kanex.com/thunderbolt3-adapter

;) PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB!
Cables, Caps and Plugs Accessories/Signal-Conditioning http://www.phonosophie.de/International ... talog.html
NEWGermanPDF FIRST-STEPS http://www.phonosophie.de/files/PHO_16% ... 0FIRST.pdf

• Information