If you only had one midi controller...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jfrichards

27 Jan 2017

I would keep the Reason 10 Performance controller that is coming out with the Reason 10 performance screen (heehee)
Attachments
R10 performance sm.jpg
R10 performance sm.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 2974 times

FlowerSoldier

27 Jan 2017

jfrichards wrote:I would keep the Reason 10 Performance controller that is coming out with the Reason 10 performance screen (heehee)
Oh my gatos Jfrichards...now you're playing with my emotions!

Why is this not a thing?

Maybe it will be with the SDK update.

jfrichards

27 Jan 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:...now you're playing with my emotions!...
What I really like about the R10 controller is that you can drag any part of any track, or tracks, straight onto a pad...
Last edited by jfrichards on 27 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

FlowerSoldier

27 Jan 2017

I...I don't need to hear more....just shut up and take my money!

Zerosity

27 Jan 2017

jfrichards wrote:I would keep the Reason 10 Performance controller that is coming out with the Reason 10 performance screen (heehee)
So R10 plans to drop Player support? [emoji2]

Raveshaper

27 Jan 2017

I would like this to be a thing. It could be a real thing.

I can only assume if it is a real thing that an official performance view to the right will fill the rest of that dedicated window pane, doesn't make sense to have a standard arrange view there.

Also I don't see any "Show" tab where Block and Song are located, but going into Block mode to access Show (or replacing Block with Show) would make sense.

If this is in beta now then I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Olivier

27 Jan 2017

FlowerSoldier wrote:
O1B wrote:You're wrong abut KeyStep, I gotta say. It's been a success for me.
You're right, I haven't tried that one. That would be great if Arturia stepped up their Quality Control. It was a mess for a while.
I haven't tried their controllers.. unless you count the Beatstep pro as one. I quite like it. Its sturdy, stable... great features. Same goes for the microbrute. For the price not shabby at all.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

jfrichards

27 Jan 2017

Raveshaper wrote:...If this is in beta now then I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet.
No, no, I'm just being mean to those of us who have wanted a performance window for years.

Redster

27 Jan 2017

If I had to choose only one it would be the line6 fbv shortboard mk2. Being a guitarist I can't loose the footswitches and rocker pedal.

I have a nektar p4 too and its great but I use the shortboard more.

Raveshaper

27 Jan 2017

Damn, so close. I figured since there's no beta thread here it must not be true.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

FlowerSoldier

27 Jan 2017

jfrichards wrote:
Raveshaper wrote:...If this is in beta now then I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet.
No, no, I'm just being mean to those of us who have wanted a performance window for years.
That's cold blooded JFR...god tier troll sir. Bwahahahah!

gullum

27 Jan 2017

Because I make manly live instrument songs I don't really need a midi keyboard. So for me all I need is my icon qcon pro would upgrade to pro X though

O1B

28 Jan 2017

Yes! I count a $400 controller as a 'Controller'.. I wish I knew what I was missing with that one.
(what does BS-Pro do that BS- can't?, if you don't mind)

I have the Beat and Keystep, a micro and a DrumBrute. Positives. Some negatives.
Positives win in a Landslide.
A Digital readout is only on the DrumBrute, AFAIK. And, though it's 2 decimal places*****, it's not as smooth to dial in as Korg (Electribe) or Roland (TR-8) - both of which have awesome Tempo control.

Tempo is always a Pain - unless sync'd/ midi'd/iOS'd or otherwise. ... but, it's Nice to have options.
That said. Love my mBrute. First Analog. B/Keystep comes to the Islands with me.
And, DrumBrute's poly is unchartered Territory.

Arturia's iOS synths are a future purchase, as well...
Olivier wrote:
O1B wrote:You're wrong abut KeyStep, I gotta say. It's been a success for me.

I haven't tried their controllers.. unless you count the Beatstep pro as one. I quite like it. Its sturdy, stable... great features. Same goes for the microbrute. For the price not shabby at all.

O1B

28 Jan 2017

Any novation Circuit Owners wanna vouch??
From articles, i thought i was the only person who didn't own one?

I just can't get with any more 'grid quantized'' 16 step obviousness.

electrofux

11 Feb 2017

Not sure what the last two can do for you concerning controlling Reason?

They both would be great controllers ... if they were programmable.

4filegate

11 Feb 2017

since reason4/2007 Knob Fiddler's main toolbox http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bitstream_3x/

tobypearce

12 Feb 2017

I have to be honest and say that although I've had a few controllers, I barely use them.

I do use the midi keyboard all the time but the additional pads and buttons? Not so much. Every so often I become ken to make good on my investment and start using them, but it just never takes. I have also observed that on video tutorials, more experienced producers seem to be in the same boat. I remember watching a Super 8 and Tab video where they had the Axiom Pro 61 as above. Since I have that keyboard I thought: cool - now I can see how others use this. But like me, aside from playing in a few notes, they didn't actually use the controller at all.

It just seems faster to use a mouse.

On the plus side, this means I'm happy in the box and (currently) unaffected by the need to buy a load of hardware synths. I like the idea of, say, a Korg Minilogue, but I'm just not convinced that I'd end up using it enough.

I'd be interested: are others in the same boat, or whether there are any of you who genuinely use a midi controller day in day out as a core part of their workflow.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

4filegate

12 Feb 2017

tobypearce wrote:It just seems faster to use a mouse.

I'd be interested: are others in the same boat, or whether there are any of you who genuinely use a midi controller day in day out as a core part of their workflow.
I can imagine that ph has thought about User, who doesn't want to have one hand on the MIDI keyboard, and the other hand on the mouse.

Technical rider
A stage with Bitstream 3X has 100 scene memories, also called Snapshot/scene memory is the 'instant picture' of all the Bitstream 3X controls position. User can save up to 100 scene memories and recall them at any time.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2017

4filegate wrote:since reason4/2007 Knob Fiddler's main toolbox http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bitstream_3x/

This looks good, does it use Reason remote maps, e.g Have you got a remote map that can updated when a new RE comes out?

drloop

12 Feb 2017

More is more!
I have Axiom 61, Korg nanoKEY2, nanoKONTROL2, nanoPAD and an Akai MPD218.
I use them all, well the nanoPAD I only use the X/Y controller because tha pads are crap.
nanoKONTROL2 for editing synths in realtime.
The keys for playing.
MPD218 for drums and it is also controlling my master section in Reason, I switch between mono/stereo plus control room out and to listen to fx sends and outs.

4filegate

12 Feb 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
4filegate wrote:since reason4/2007 Knob Fiddler's main toolbox http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bitstream_3x/
This looks good, does it use Reason remote maps, e.g Have you got a remote map that can updated when a new RE comes out?
Yep!
WaveIdea Remote Maps.PNG
WaveIdea Remote Maps.PNG (34.96 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
WaveIdea Midi Codecs.PNG
WaveIdea Midi Codecs.PNG (7.7 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Bitstream 3X will be automatically detected and configured to fully control all Reason devices, with absolutely no programming whatsoever.
When a Bitstream 3X group is changed, the controlled device in Reason also changes automatically, so the user has all knobs, sliders, buttons, ribbon controller etc available to control each device in Reason.

"fully programmable and includes more than 13,000 presets for popular samplers, synthesizers, and software DAW"

and sadly they are discontinued now - Offer from South Africa https://www.olx.co.za/ad/cme-bitstream- ... 5NpvV.html

O1B

12 Feb 2017

+10000 on your comments. Axiom Pro 61... Keys and Pitch 98.9% of the time.

BuT - a real-world Synth is a different Story. Those knobs and sliders all work, all the time.
I believe in the power of Software Synths, but I rarely use them ITB.
ITB - and w/o proper MIDI - it is difficult to PLAY with the sound till it's right. And w/0 MIDI, forget live modulation.

In that regard Subtractor is awesome, but we'll never touch all 8 filter sliders, Velocity Section, or the MOD Sections
Therefore the sound one designs will be more on a 'first knob touched' basis.

And, DSP... forget it.. i don't want to have those issues ever again. Since buying Real Synths - and working out architecture (ADSR/AR/EG,etc) and sonic differences (MONO-vs-PARA-vsPOLY), going back to use the AMMOs or Subtractor or even REDRUM (TR-8) is much more intuitive and rewarding sound-design wise.

A Module like the JU-08 - - accepts your keyboard, full access to envelopes and Modulation.. patches, and portability.
It's the same for EQ and FX these days, for me. Lot's of Great Synths out there.

TWO you will definitely play with and Love the Sound/ tweakabiity/ Sonic Ideas (2 for $500 these days):
FYI, the RED One that says "SYn(th)" is the fx module and the Green one is the Real Synth.(key, scale, arp, gate, vocode)
Good music making to you.
... btw, the Minilogue - cool for Analog, but the System-1 packs more low end. The Monoloque's packs a Punch!
tobypearce wrote:I have to be honest and say that although I've had a few controllers, I barely use them.
... But like me, aside from playing in a few notes, they didn't actually use the controller at all.
On the plus side, this means I'm happy in the box and (currently) unaffected by the need to buy a load of hardware synths. I like the idea of, say, a Korg Minilogue, but I'm just not convinced that I'd end up using it enough.

electrofux

28 Feb 2017

I curently digged out my old bcr2000 and after having searched for a controller with high resolution encoders for ages i realized it was already sitting there getting dust in a corner, lol.

Apart from its plastic material it is a very very sophisticated controller. Its encoders feel good and can be configurated deeply with the bcedit tool by mountain-utilities. This tool also ships with 4 mackie monitors which can be programmed to show all parameter names and values.

But the best thing as i said are the encoders, no more artificial acceleration with jumpy sound but still all advantages of encoders with led rings - next to perfect and in combination with the monitors you get a good overview of the 32 parameters.

• Information