Monitor speakers

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Smiggy

11 Apr 2017

I've been recording, mixing and listening to my stuff using a pair of decent headphones for a while now and the other day dug out an old amp and speakers and while some tracks sounded ok, a lot of them were just rubbish - far too much low end etc. So I'm thinking monitor speakers. Can anyone recommend a decent budget pair?

nscerri

11 Apr 2017

I use the Tannoy 802 Reveal. They are superb.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Voyager

11 Apr 2017

APS Klasiks, they are 7" driver that goes 35hz, so no sub needed for most genre. In their budget nothing seems to touch them and they received excellent critics and reviews on gearslutz forum. You should try to get a demo pair and make your own opinion.

TheMiles

11 Apr 2017

For a tight budget check out Mackie CR4 or CR5. They are a bit weak on the Bass side, but the stereo depiction is just wonderful. Besides the Bass, the frequency response is great. I use the CR4 at my moms place as my weekend monitors and I really like them.

slightlyprog

11 Apr 2017

Equator D5s, very small and excellent 'bang for the buck'

Data_Shrine

11 Apr 2017

I have the MS-16 (behringer), the cheapest thing you can find. They're okay, but there isnt much bass, and often emits bckground noise.

So yeah stay away from them. Sound definition isnt all bad though.

Smiggy

12 Apr 2017

Things to investigate there. Thanks to all.

friday

12 Apr 2017

Check out ADAM or the new adherant HEDD !

and as nooomy said the Neumann 310 are very good... in my opinion cheap for what you get :-)

But i have to say i am ready to spend a lot of money for my new speakers and I am just evaluating the following:

ADAM S3H
HEDD 30
Neumann 310
EVE Audio SC408

Smiggy

12 Apr 2017

friday wrote:Check out ADAM or the new adherant HEDD !

and as nooomy said the Neumann 310 are very good...
Considerably more than I can justify!

pedrocaetanos

12 Apr 2017

For what I read in the reviews I thought I was going to get a pair KRKs.
But when I listened to them in shop I had a stroke: dark mud!
Yeah, they may have bass, but no clarity at all.

I then listened to Yamaha HS80 and they were geat!
Problem was the price being above my budget.

I hunted down for the Yamaha HS50 and they retained all the clarity, but lacking bass and body.
Yet I thought for my room size they would do, and maybe the HS80 would be too big.

I also tried some other options, such as Adam A3, A5, A7. I preferred the extreme clarity of the Yamaha's. Maybe ribon tweeters aren't for me. Also ,this tells you I'm a guy that goes for bright speakers. Your taste will be important in the choice.

Anyway, if like them bright and clear, the Yamahas (HS5, HS7 or HS8 depending on your room size) will be a great choice and they are not expensive.

They have tweakeble EQ switches and can be customized to different rooms, different tastes, and can even be made to resemble a bit the sound of NS10's. And they can be customized in the "opposite direction", as I also use them to listen to music, and I managed to get a decent hi-fi sound out of them.

Notice that I have covered the bass reflex ports, loosing a bit of bass depth, but giving a much tighter sound. As nearfields, perfect. Further away, they sound weenie.

At these price ranges you should also try the Focal Alpha (50, 65, 80). Quite impressive price/quality.
Not as bright as the Yamaha's but very detailed (in their price bracket), a nice alternative. And astonishing bass.

I am set on Genelec for my next upgrade. M040. You basically can't find a bad review, even for the smaller M030. Genelec is the nowadays the "industry standard" but some people call them too bright, sterile, or too hi-fi. Seems to me this has to do with personal taste, as many call them extremely neutral.
These ones are more expensive, but you should at least listen to know how they sound.

So, based on my listenings and on my taste, this is my recomendations and ranking:
1 Genelec M030 / M040
2 Focal Alpha 50 / 65
3 Yamaha HS5 / HS7 / HS8
4 Adams A5 / A7
(I excluded Focal Alpha 80 and Adam A8: unless you have a HUGE room they are TOO bassy and resonant... but if you are a basshead they may just be the perfect choice... Yamaha HS8 are very flat while managing to have a lot of bass)

If you plan to upgrade in the future, a pair of small Yamaha's may be the best choice, as they will marry well with better speakers that will do as mains, and the Yammies ca be retained to do as NS10 impersonation (after you tweak them).
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information