Thinking of going to Logic Pro from Suite

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Billy+

27 Jan 2021

So with plus a thing now I'm not holding much hope for Reasons sequencer / DAW getting its way behind features working for even longer and as such I'm looking for a better front end so to speak.

I'm covered for devices, vst's, samples etc and am looking for something simple to get my head around, I'm thinking Logic as I want to try the new M1 hardware at some point, but really don't know anything about other DAW's as I've only used Reason since V1, tried Live and can't stand it, don't like the look of Reaper don't want to pay subscription for protools etc etc..

Obviously I'm going to use Reason but as RRP, I'm running izotope advanced mix & master, Mixed in Key captain, XLN XO and spire primarily.

Anyone got any useful advice using a similar set of software.

kuhliloach

27 Jan 2021

I switched to Logic recently via a 5 app $200 EDU bundle from Apple that is still available, making Logic cost me about $40. Since then many new features have been added to Logic at no extra charge. It seems I will be removing the Reason Rack Plugin due to ignition key problems which is a shame because I have enjoyed having access to my RE's in Logic. Logic has a fantastic user interface, has great value, and is being actively developed, three things I just cannot say about Reason.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

I have Logic installed for the few times I've needed to work with video. Since building a new studio I'm tracking drums all the time, and need group editing and better multitrack file handling.
But man, it's a chore to switch DAWs. It's only recently I stopped using the Pro Tools commands accidentally in Reason, now I'm trying to get up to speed in Logic and I keep using all the Reason commands!!!

Rewind…When I first started working with computers and music, back in the dark ages of the middle 1980s, my original intention was to learn all of them so I could use each for it's strengths.
Turns how that was less practical than I thought, because I was never fully up to speed on any of them. Since then I've stuck to one primary DAW at a time, and never looked forward to "breaking in" a new one (even though I've done it almost a dozen times now).

But just maybe in the end I CAN come to terms with working between multiple DAWs, as long as it's limited to Reason and Logic (if just for the fun of saying I use "Reason and Logic" to make my music).
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

27 Jan 2021

If I had a Mac I'd be on Logic in a flash. Just do it.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I switched to Logic recently via a 5 app $200 EDU bundle from Apple that is still available, making Logic cost me about $40. Since then many new features have been added to Logic at no extra charge. It seems I will be removing the Reason Rack Plugin due to ignition key problems which is a shame because I have enjoyed having access to my RE's in Logic. Logic has a fantastic user interface, has great value, and is being actively developed, three things I just cannot say about Reason.
Is the issue not fixed with companion?

This is supposed to be the Big Sur authorisation tool, not just a cash cow?

Creativemind

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
So with plus a thing now I'm not holding much hope for Reasons sequencer / DAW getting its way behind features working for even longer and as such I'm looking for a better front end so to speak.

I'm covered for devices, vst's, samples etc and am looking for something simple to get my head around, I'm thinking Logic as I want to try the new M1 hardware at some point, but really don't know anything about other DAW's as I've only used Reason since V1, tried Live and can't stand it, don't like the look of Reaper don't want to pay subscription for protools etc etc..

Obviously I'm going to use Reason but as RRP, I'm running izotope advanced mix & master, Mixed in Key captain, XLN XO and spire primarily.

Anyone got any useful advice using a similar set of software.
Get on Reaper, I highly recommend it but download the FL Studio or Logic 3.80 theme. They're great.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=229919

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=214879

It's only $60 and there's updates all the time. There was an update mid December with about 30 features (ok some quite small and some bug fixes) then another update about a week odd ago and one about 3 days ago. All with 20-30 features in it. One in the last update was being able to reverse samples in the Media Browser. It really only has a handful of key features missing:-

Retrospective Recording, Chord / Key Display, Wait For Midi etc to name 3 but has Track Folders / Freeze / Templates / Hiding / Grouping, Linked Clips & Automation, Time Markers and Regions, Undo History, Midi Chase, Scrub, VST 3 Support, Punch In/Out, Video Support etc etc etc. It's great. I'm always finding out something about it like the other day I found out you can audition midi files in the Media Browser (it plays it with whatever sound of the track you have selected in the arranger) and found out you can route the Media Browser to a track and audition sounds with effects on that track. I also learnt the other week you can make lyric video's in it, how good's that.

It's fully customisable too and any shortcut and mouse behaviour can be changed / modified. You can even add JPG's / PNG's to tracks too.

I can always help you out getting your head 'round it if need be.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

estuary

27 Jan 2021

I am a very long time Reason user, I wanted to switch to Logic Pro when the latest update of Reason 11 + RRP
But I could not because at first I need to finish my current projects created on Reason.

I heard good things about Logic Pro and it seems to be promising with M1
I will download the trial version later and try it using RRP + several softube/izotope VST
I would like to make sure Logic Pro + RRP works well because I've got a lot of RE and it's a great tool.

There is something that has changed and I really no longer have any hope of working with ReasonStudios, I have waited far too long and it seems that now their directions does not interest me at all.
Yeah it's alright, times change

teddymcw

27 Jan 2021

I'm currently making that switch slowly but agree with Selig that it's a chore.

-I really enjoy having the RRP available if I want to get sounds from my Reason toolbox
-The Logic Drummer is worth the money alone imho, it's brilliant for any kind of music where you need solid drums
-I'm working on more classic guitar, vocal, light piano and drummer stuff now so Logic is much better suited for that imo. Logic interface just feels cleaner and more organized for this type of production ime
-When I want to do more midi based synth drum machine stuff, obv reason fits my mind state better until become fluent with Logic which is prob never
-I'd recommend it since there shouldn't be any signs of Logic team at Apple slowing down their development, if anything I'd guess they'll try to stay as competitive as ever

Periwinkle

27 Jan 2021

I too moved to Logic a while back and I'm really not regreting it. Reason has always been slow and clunky on my mac, whereas logic is super smooth. The freeze function alone makes it worth the switch.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

QVprod

27 Jan 2021

I always recommend no one feel the need for brand loyalty. It’s a tool. The RRP made that even easier. If it doesn’t do everything you need, then get an additional tool that covers what you lack. Logic is a solid program if it suites your preference.

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

DO IT.

And here are some Logic tips to make things easier for you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7516305&hilit=logic
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DO IT.

And here are some Logic tips to make things easier for you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7516305&hilit=logic
I’ve found those very helpful, thanks for putting that together.
Selig Audio, LLC

jamesa

27 Jan 2021

I switched to Logic. It would be impossible for me to go back to the Reason DAW, absolutely impossible. Releasing the RRP was the greatest thing RS ever did in my opinion. I was fully willing to leave Reason behind, but with the RRP was overjoyed that I could leverage my investment since version 1.0. Logic does have a bit of a learning curve. I bought David Nahmani's book and it helped with that immensely. Once you get the keyboard shortcuts under your fingers, whoa, you really fly in Logic. As well, you will never have to worry about things like video support and notation - they are there plus other features that you might not need now but perhaps will someday. Please note, I have only Reason to compare Logic to. I have never used Cubase, Live, Studio One, or anything else. I'm sure they are great too.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-x-book/

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/

joeyluck

28 Jan 2021

I only use Logic when I have to. I can't get along with the fact that tracks don't auto-label to the file, patch, or plugin name. Just stuff like "Inst 1". Very bizarre that they still haven't fixed that. It totally kills my workflow to have to sit there and label every single track... Something so basic in Reason, I didn't know was such a unique and special feature.

Creativemind

28 Jan 2021

hurricane wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DO IT.

Just tried drag 'n' drop in Reaper to the devices in the RRP, I was under the illusion it didn't work but it does as long as you go from it's Media Browser. I was trying to drag something I'd recorded from the arranger (sequencer) the other week, no joy.

Great Logic tips in that other thread.

jwd606

28 Jan 2021

I switched from Reason to Logic, and it's the best thing I've done music wise. Logic is very optimised on Mac (unsurprisingly) so your computer will work a lot better than with Reason. There's nothing fancy about the interface, and it's easy to remove a lot of bits you don't use from the main view. The Ableton workflow looks odd to me, coming from old Cubase/Reason/Logic background.

I believe the 3 months free trial is still running a the moment.

Fotu

28 Jan 2021

I switched from Reason to Logic about a year ago, since the kind of stuff I produce benefits from having more thorough sequencer workflow tools. (I'm more into rock than EDM, so sequencer efficiencies are more important to me than sound design.) Be patient, Logic has a steeper learning curve than Reason, IMO because there are simply a lot more productivity tools available with a wealth of keyboard shortcuts.

I'm maintaining my Reason install due to a lot of legacy tracks, and also for the possibility of using the rack plugin, though so far I haven't needed to use it with Logic.

As expected both DAWs have their strengths, weaknesses, and annoying quirks, but I've been satisified with the move to Logic.

jamesa

28 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I only use Logic when I have to. I can't get along with the fact that tracks don't auto-label to the file, patch, or plugin name. Just stuff like "Inst 1". Very bizarre that they still haven't fixed that. It totally kills my workflow to have to sit there and label every single track... Something so basic in Reason, I didn't know was such a unique and special feature.
I just tried this in Logic. Track->New Track (have open library selected)

Track is created with "Inst 1" name. As soon as I click on a patch in the library it renames the track to the Library patch name. I'm not saying its as slick as Reason as I've forgotten how Reason works.

If you ever need to rename all of your tracks quickly. Double click on the first track name, type new name, and press tab, it will go to the next track and allow you to rename it as well, press tab for next track, etc.

I find with Logic, you need to use it constantly or that learning curve gets away on you. That's what I found anyway!

estuary

28 Jan 2021

jwd606 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I believe the 3 months free trial is still running a the moment.
Oh yeah, 3 months free trial, that's awesome!

jamesa

28 Jan 2021

Please note that I am still a Reason fanatic. I've just redirected my fanaticism to the RRP.

Creativemind

28 Jan 2021

jamesa wrote:
28 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021

Track is created with "Inst 1" name. As soon as I click on a patch in the library it renames the track to the Library patch name. I'm not saying its as slick as Reason as I've forgotten how Reason works.

If you ever need to rename all of your tracks quickly. Double click on the first track name, type new name, and press tab, it will go to the next track and allow you to rename it as well, press tab for next track, etc.

I find with Logic, you need to use it constantly or that learning curve gets away on you. That's what I found anyway!
I was gonna mention "but I bet it has Tab To Label Next Track" lol!

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

Thanks all, some really positive comments about Logic and using RRP when needed.

I like to build modulation into my combinators, will this stuff still work.

Example would be use ammo100 as a CV source to modulate player UTL velocity on incoming notes be that for drum devices or pitch say Kong or Radical etc.

jwd606

28 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
28 Jan 2021
jamesa wrote:
28 Jan 2021

Project settings - audio - channel strips - tick on automatic naming of channel strips. Maybe this is what you need to do? I like to come up with my own names for tracks.

Creativemind

28 Jan 2021

jwd606 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Jan 2021

Project settings - audio - channel strips - tick on automatic naming of channel strips. Maybe this is what you need to do? I like to come up with my own names for tracks.
That looks from the path you put above that it's just for audio tracks, does it also apply to midi tracks?

hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Hey - I never really paid attention to this, but I noticed that this isn't happening in the very latest version of Logic (10.6.1). Without checking any hidden track header boxes, the default behavior names each track by the preset or name of audio file. I just tried it with 4 very different synths and a loop:

autoname.png
autoname.png (95.19 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information