MacBook Pro m1- worth it or too much ???

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gritz

05 Nov 2021

MacBook Pro m1 pro

10-Core CPU
16-Core GPU
16GB Unified Memory
1TB SSD Storage

Is it worth it !???

Reason 12 arturia collection 8 native instruments konkakt 6 MacBook Pro 2015 with ssd 1tb external hard drive

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

What are you being asked to pay? £1 definitely £10000 definitely not....

gritz

05 Nov 2021

Well I guess my question really is for music production so I’m attracted to the seemingly amazing stats but I’m no it expert so would you buy one or would it be wasted - have a MacBook Pro 2015 and thinking it’s time for a new Mac snd all I’m seeing is Mac Pro m1 vs Mac Mac m1 videos but will it be quicker and not freeze when I have a load of tracks running ???

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

It's a tricky one

I was looking at a laptop as I wanted something that I could use away from my desk, I consider a £1000 laptop but the performance and noise is very off putting and my desktop device is a Mac mini which I find reasonable performance and noise wise and it's very much quieter than a pc.

I started to think about a MacBook but the M1 pro price is definitely not cheap but the MacBooks are viable devices on paper and the noise is missing completely so it's much more positive until you start looking at the software

Reason isn't native but some people have said that they have experience and the performance even under Rosetta is more than acceptable but I definitely wouldn't run out and buy one without being able to try it

Most of the vst synths I own are native so bonus but if the host isn't then it doesn't matter
Although a lot of the effects vst's haven't been updated.

And currently I use izotope neutron 3 and ozone 8 both advanced versions so I can use the components individually but again they aren't native

So I'm kinda at the point where I'm just sitting on my money waiting for things to fall into place before I make a move which is ok with me as everything is working so do I really need to upgrade?

I guess that doesn't help you unless you're thinking about the same stuff as me!

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Nov 2021

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro that I'm finally replacing with an M1 Pro.

The thing is, if I really had to, I could keep producing music on this old machine. I had a 2008 MacBook Pro before it, and a 2003 PowerBook back in the day, and both of those were unusably slow by the time I replaced them... not so with my 2013. It's still a fine daily driver; I can throw a decent number of plugins at it in Reason or Live and produce tracks without any glaring limitations.

I have been wanting some more headroom for more complex arrangements and some faster plugin loading, so I've planned to upgrade for awhile, but it hasn't been urgent. I thought about getting a base M1 Mac earlier this year, but wanted to hold out for a 16" laptop.

Anyway, just the regular M1 was already way more than I needed right now, and the M1 Pro is going to be total overkill. I decided it's worth the high price given how long I've kept my 2013, as the M1 Pro should last at least as long with so much power to spare.

It really comes down to how long you want to go between upgrades. A regular M1 will give you more than enough power for years to come, while an M1 Pro will be even more future-proof, but it will also cost considerably more.

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Reason isn't native but some people have said that they have experience and the performance even under Rosetta is more than acceptable but I definitely wouldn't run out and buy one without being able to try it

Most of the vst synths I own are native so bonus but if the host isn't then it doesn't matter
Although a lot of the effects vst's haven't been updated.

And currently I use izotope neutron 3 and ozone 8 both advanced versions so I can use the components individually but again they aren't native
All true! I'm banking on the fact that everything I use has an M1-native version in the pipeline. So it should be 95% usable out of the box, and then get even better once Reason Studios, Ableton, Arturia, Izotope, etc. finish their M1 versions (interestingly most of them seem to be targeting December).

• Information