Hardware Korg M1 Question

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Creativemind

15 Oct 2022

Hi All!

On an actual hardware Korg M1, in a project, could you only use 1 preset coming from the Korg M1 or is it possible to have 2 or more?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

huggermugger

15 Oct 2022

The M1 was 8 parts multi-timbral, and it had four audio outputs too. You could play 8 different presets at the same time, split amongst the four outputs as needed. The first two outputs could be used as stereo L/R or as two monos.

Baylo

15 Oct 2022

I think maybe 16 note polyphonic, though?

raymondh

15 Oct 2022

I had an M3R rather than M1, but found using "combo" which was monotimbral (one part), it sounded great, but using multi-timbrally it was pretty lame. Not only because you lose the layering of combos, but the FX are global (if I remember correctly) and a big part of the sound design.

If I had an M1, I'd play and record one part at a time, and if I needed to arrange multiple parts before writing each one to audio stems, I'd probably invest in the software M1, then after arranging multiple parts, then replace each one with the hardware real mccoy.
(that's the workflow I use to record my hardware synths. I use Korg Arp Odyssey s/w, and the PG8X as software for tracking before I replace with the hardware)

Creativemind

16 Oct 2022

huggermugger wrote:
15 Oct 2022
The M1 was 8 parts multi-timbral, and it had four audio outputs too. You could play 8 different presets at the same time, split amongst the four outputs as needed. The first two outputs could be used as stereo L/R or as two monos.
Thanks.

Sorry about the late reply.

Let's see if I'm following this correctly, so basically I can play 4 presets / patches at the same time?

Creativemind

16 Oct 2022

raymondh wrote:
15 Oct 2022
I had an M3R rather than M1, but found using "combo" which was monotimbral (one part), it sounded great, but using multi-timbrally it was pretty lame. Not only because you lose the layering of combos, but the FX are global (if I remember correctly) and a big part of the sound design.

If I had an M1, I'd play and record one part at a time, and if I needed to arrange multiple parts before writing each one to audio stems, I'd probably invest in the software M1, then after arranging multiple parts, then replace each one with the hardware real mccoy.
(that's the workflow I use to record my hardware synths. I use Korg Arp Odyssey s/w, and the PG8X as software for tracking before I replace with the hardware)
:thumbs_up:

huggermugger

16 Oct 2022

Creativemind wrote:
16 Oct 2022
huggermugger wrote:
15 Oct 2022
Thanks.

Let's see if I'm following this correctly, so basically I can play 4 presets / patches at the same time?
You can play 8 presets at the same time, if you're willing to blend some of them on the physical outputs of the M1. For example:

Stereo Pad - out 1,2 (L,R)
Stereo Electric Piano - out 1,2 (L,R)
Mono Flute - out 3
Mono Bass - out 3
Mono Orch Hit - out 3
Mono Pluck - out 4
Mono Lead - out 4
Mono Handclap - out 4

Heater

17 Oct 2022

I used to have an M1. Great keyboard.
As others have said it's worth getting the VST version. More presents/banks, better filter, easier to use.

Creativemind

18 Oct 2022

huggermugger wrote:
16 Oct 2022
Creativemind wrote:
16 Oct 2022

Thanks.

You can play 8 presets at the same time, if you're willing to blend some of them on the physical outputs of the M1. For example:

Stereo Pad - out 1,2 (L,R)
Stereo Electric Piano - out 1,2 (L,R)
Mono Flute - out 3
Mono Bass - out 3
Mono Orch Hit - out 3
Mono Pluck - out 4
Mono Lead - out 4
Mono Handclap - out 4
Ahh thanks.

So those presets are only available on those outputs?

Creativemind

18 Oct 2022

Heater wrote:
17 Oct 2022
I used to have an M1. Great keyboard.
As others have said it's worth getting the VST version. More presents/banks, better filter, easier to use.
Though the M1 vst (which I have) sounds brilliant, I am amidst trying to get a fully hardware set up as I think the real hardware sounds a bit better but along with the other hardware will sound brilliant. I just can't get the sounds to sound as good as the tracks I admire with software. Even the vst M1 house piano sounds thin. Adding bass notes along with improves it as does Voxengo Span too but still think it lacks something watching comparison vids on You Tube.

huggermugger

18 Oct 2022

Creativemind wrote:
18 Oct 2022

Ahh thanks.

No, that was just an example. You would set up a Combi (Korg M1 lingo for a multitimbral patch), and assign each of the 8 parts to a particular output. Doesn't matter which presets go where.

Creativemind

19 Oct 2022

huggermugger wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Creativemind wrote:
18 Oct 2022

Ahh thanks.

No, that was just an example. You would set up a Combi (Korg M1 lingo for a multitimbral patch), and assign each of the 8 parts to a particular output. Doesn't matter which presets go where.
:thumbup:

• Information