Suggest a small midi keyboard

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
visheshl

20 Jun 2023

So since i have installed reason on my laptop, i was thinking of buying a cheap, small midi keyboard controller. You know something which is easy to take anywhere with the laptop.
Hopefully something which has a proper reason remote mapping
What do you guys recommend?

DaveyG

21 Jun 2023

My favourite "conventional" mini keyboard is the Novation Launchkey Mini. It just shades it over the Akai MPK Mini for me (I own both).

Slightly more leftfield, and my favourite ultra-portable that I use with the iPad is the Korg nanoKey Studio.

The latter works wirelessly as well as wired and has some useful built-in chords, scales and better-than-usual arp patterns. The "keyboard" is an acquired taste but it is playable. The Kaoss pad is a nice bonus. Review: https://www.musicradar.com/news/korg-na ... dio-review

I can't really comment on the remote mappings as I tend to just map things on the fly when I need them.

miyaru

24 Jun 2023

I have an Akai LPK25 Wireless. I had to look out for it, as they do not make them anymore at the time I wanted one. Happily I found one.

It's connected with USB to my PC, for syncing reasons of the arpeggiator, and I use it wireless with my iPad 9th gen to run music software.

It is a nice keyboard, and does what I want it to do. I have to say with my PC and Reason 12, I use a Ableton Push2 too running PusheR2 software.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

RobC

24 Jun 2023

M-Audio Keystation Mini 32.

More keys, some buttons, a knob and thinner than an LPK25.

However, LPK25 is useful for self-defense.

(Or ~ I don't have it, but looks nice: Alesis V Mini. Has knobs and drum pads.)

moalla

24 Jun 2023

I still using for mobile usage a Korg Mikcrokey,it just has no aftertouch but the keys are very smooth to play and more or less silent, perfect when your would play while recording in a jam.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

RobC

24 Jun 2023

moalla wrote:
24 Jun 2023
I still using for mobile usage a Korg Mikcrokey,it just has no aftertouch but the keys are very smooth to play and more or less silent, perfect when your would play while recording in a jam.
I have that one, too! I used it as my main keyboard. Basically, I bought any mini keyboard with unique size and number of keys (of course, only 1 of each kind). Yup, that's 3 minis total. I'm still looking for one that starts from E / F key.

That said, the flat keys don't have the best dynamics! Microkey is better in that regard - however, pretty big, at least the 3 octave one.

Billy+

24 Jun 2023

haven't got one but seriously considering one

full size keys + after touch....

xkey 25

RandomNoise

25 Jun 2023

I've recently got the updated Arturia Minilab 3 and really liking it. Solid build and plenty of encoders and faders for the control I need at hand. Also the size is perfect for my setup

jam-s

25 Jun 2023

For a compact mobile setup (esp. in combination with apple gear) IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 25 can also be a nice option.

challism

26 Jun 2023

If I were looking to get something, I'd be comparing these:
Nektar Impact LX25
Novation LaunchKey Mini
Arturia MiniLab
Akai Pro MPK Mini
M-Audio Oxygen 25

Check youtube for comparison videos of the best mini MIDI controlers.
As far as mapping goes, I think Nektar does a good job of that (I've got a Nektar Panorama). Not sure about the rest.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information