Tronical - Guitarists, you should get this!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
normen

21 Aug 2015

In case you didn't know, the automatic tuning system that is in Gibsons "Robot Guitar" is now available for almost all types of guitars as a simple set of mechanics and a small PCB with the tuner on board.

http://tronical.com

I got two for my Fender Lone Star and my Epiphone Paula and this thing just blows my mind each time I use it. HIGHLY recommended, especially at the current reduced price. Because it works like a clip-on tuner you don't even need to have your guitar open, just turn the volume down, strum the strings and your guitar tunes itself. Perfect for on-stage or just in the rehearsal room, one quick strum between the songs and you're safe for the next one. And you can even use it for alternate tunings - no more separate guitar for that Dropped D or Open E tuning!

A quick video that shows what this is about:

Tincture

21 Aug 2015

Looks great Normen and when funds allow I'll def take another look.

For now what interests me is whether you'd perhaps sample it as it retunes? Best would be from and to alternative tunings so the start and end are tuneful but it 'glides' through the freqs from one to another. I reckon I could make use of that sort of thing :)

Namahs Amrak

21 Aug 2015

I see no inherent problem with these devices, as some guitar purists do - but I cannot get over the devilish noise these thing make. It just 'feels' like you're cheapening your guitar by adding a creaking, clunky rusting robot to the headstock.
My Words are my ART

normen

22 Aug 2015

Tincture wrote:Looks great Normen and when funds allow I'll def take another look.

For now what interests me is whether you'd perhaps sample it as it retunes? Best would be from and to alternative tunings so the start and end are tuneful but it 'glides' through the freqs from one to another. I reckon I could make use of that sort of thing :)
Thing is as soon as you select a tuning it already moves the mechanics to get into the "ballpark region" of that tuning, then does the rest when you strum the guitar so I doubt you'll get what you want out of it. But I can try and make a recording when I'm back in the studio.
Namahs Amrak wrote:I see no inherent problem with these devices, as some guitar purists do - but I cannot get over the devilish noise these thing make. It just 'feels' like you're cheapening your guitar by adding a creaking, clunky rusting robot to the headstock.
Idk, small stepper motors don't exactly sound "cheap" to me, more like 80s futuristic ^^ And nobody hears it while your singer is making jokes with the audience between songs anyway - let alone in the rehearsal room with everybody playing a cacophony of noodling between songs ;)

Tincture

22 Aug 2015

Fair enough, it doesn't sound like it will sound like I'd hoped. Just a late night idea ;)

Last Alternative

08 Sep 2015

And what about recording? Staying in tune during bends and stuff but that screeching gets picked up & ruins your take.. Correct me if I'm wrong.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Namahs Amrak

08 Sep 2015

normen wrote: Idk, small stepper motors don't exactly sound "cheap" to me, more like 80s futuristic ^^
How 'futuristic', if the baseline of reference is the 1980's ? We are in 2015 - more futuristic than 2015 ?

I'm also not so sure guitarists SHOULD get this. Many guitar forums would suggest that the majority of guitarists aren't interested in this type of technology in the slightest, ever since they started including similar mechanical devices as standard on some Gibson models. In fact, many are refusing to buy Gibsons specifically because they have an auto-tuner installed straight from the factory.
My Words are my ART

normen

08 Sep 2015

Last Alternative wrote:And what about recording? Staying in tune during bends and stuff but that screeching gets picked up & ruins your take.. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Corrected. :) Obviously it doesn't tune while you play but only when you engage it.

Last Alternative

08 Sep 2015

I think it's cool but they should lube it better so it runs smoothly. How much $$?
Plus I can see that thing breaking and not lasting very long.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

normen

08 Sep 2015

Last Alternative wrote:I think it's cool but they should lube it better so it runs smoothly. How much $$?
Plus I can see that thing breaking and not lasting very long.
It does run smoothly.. You should definitely lube your nut though. As for breaking, you can replace single mechanics for about 30€, the whole system is 200€ atm.

yamguitar

09 Sep 2015

I will definitely lube my nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information