Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ahornberg

24 Jan 2016

I tried using Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer.

It works so far for an audio channel that is selected in the sequencer by choosing <Other> MIDI Control Keyboard in the Control SUrface settings.
Unfortunately this setting doesn't allow to send MIDI data back to the controller, so after switching to another mixer channel the values of the knobs on the screen are not reflected on the controller. Console 1 can receive MIDI CC data to set the values of the knobs.

Does anyone have experiences using Console 1 with Reason?

4filegate

24 Jan 2016

I believe, Supporting VST/VST3/AU/AAX Native and not compare with Reason's SSL - manual just have example "rewire mode ph Reason
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... mixer.html

:reason: Options/remote override edit mode/additional remote overrides - give allow on all knobs faders wheels ➠ building an matrix

QVprod

24 Jan 2016

It's not built to work with Reason or control any DAW so using it for anything other than it's intended use (with the Console 1 plugin) is going to be limited. Yes it sends and receives midi data but the only way it would ever work well is if Softube made a remote map for it. From Softube's website: "Console 1 is not a DAW controller, or even a plug-in controller. It's a separate hardware/software mixer that works in tandem with your DAW."

Ahornberg

24 Jan 2016

so I'm going to ask Softube to make a remote map ...

QVprod

24 Jan 2016

Ahornberg wrote:so I'm going to ask Softube to make a remote map ...
I wish you luck I guess.... The fact that Console 1 was specifically made for their plugin SSL(s) and not as a DAW controller (It doesn't control any DAW), they'll probably turn you down.

Ahornberg

24 Jan 2016

So I made myself a first running remotecodec and remotemap for Console 1 :thumbs_up: :cool:

based on Kosh's Generic Controller on MIDI Channel 1,
see http://KoshdukaiMusicReason.blogspot.com
Attachments
Console1RemoteBeta.zip
(25.14 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

Ahornberg

25 Jan 2016

Here's my final remotemap for Console 1
Attachments
console1remotemap.png
console1remotemap.png (2.36 MiB) Viewed 28908 times
Console1RemoteFinal.zip
(29.82 KiB) Downloaded 679 times

normen

25 Jan 2016

Cool, I wish they'd sell it without the plugins ;)

Ahornberg

25 Jan 2016

normen wrote:Cool, I wish they'd sell it without the plugins ;)
I think with a Behringer BCR 2000 you can do pretty much the same in Reason.

normen

25 Jan 2016

Ahornberg wrote:I think with a Behringer BCR 2000 you can do pretty much the same in Reason.
Sure, I have one but having a dedicated surface with a corresponding knob arrangement would be much nicer.

4filegate

26 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:I think with a Behringer BCR 2000 you can do pretty much the same in Reason.
Sure, I have one but having a dedicated surface with a corresponding knob arrangement would be much nicer.
for my taste - motorized faders was too noisy! - motions on WaveIdea Bitstream 3X

normen

26 Jan 2016

4filegate wrote:for my taste - motorized faders was too noisy! - motions on WaveIdea Bitstream 3X
The BCR doesn't have faders.

4filegate

26 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
4filegate wrote:for my taste - motorized faders was too noisy! - motions on WaveIdea Bitstream 3X
The BCR doesn't have faders.
all right - I'm messed up by BEHRINGER boxes :lol:

QVprod

26 Jan 2016

Ahornberg wrote:Here's my final remotemap for Console 1
Impressive! Especially if it also give you the feedback on the controller the same way the Console 1 software does. I'd feel weird relegating this as a Reason controller for it's price though, but I guess it saves you from needing to buy Softube's 9000k emulation.

Ahornberg

27 Jan 2016

QVprod wrote:
Impressive! Especially if it also give you the feedback on the controller the same way the Console 1 software does. I'd feel weird relegating this as a Reason controller for it's price though, but I guess it saves you from needing to buy Softube's 9000k emulation.
Yes, the visual feedback on the controller works. :D

QVprod

27 Jan 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
QVprod wrote:
Nice, congrats!

Ahornberg

28 Jan 2016

QVprod wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
QVprod wrote:
Nice, congrats!
Thank you! The real difference on using Console 1 in Reason compared to the VST world is that I can't use the track select buttons on Console 1 to change the track. Instead I use the mouse. Another difference is that the automatic switch between coarse and fine resolution of the knobs don't work in Reason. Maybe both differences could be addressed by more sophisticated Lua programming ... but for now it's time to make music :cool:

gullum

30 Jan 2016

Ahornberg wrote: Thank you! The real difference on using Console 1 in Reason compared to the VST world is that I can't use the track select buttons on Console 1 to change the track. Instead I use the mouse. Another difference is that the automatic switch between coarse and fine resolution of the knobs don't work in Reason. Maybe both differences could be addressed by more sophisticated Lua programming ... but for now it's time to make music :cool:
You sir have just given me a reason to buy the Console 1. I downloaded your remote map files and I can see some things I think I could do to make the selectors work but I need to save up a bit to be able to buy one first.

mrdangamira

03 Feb 2016

gullum wrote:
Ahornberg wrote: Thank you! The real difference on using Console 1 in Reason compared to the VST world is that I can't use the track select buttons on Console 1 to change the track. Instead I use the mouse. Another difference is that the automatic switch between coarse and fine resolution of the knobs don't work in Reason. Maybe both differences could be addressed by more sophisticated Lua programming ... but for now it's time to make music :cool:
You sir have just given me a reason to buy the Console 1. I downloaded your remote map files and I can see some things I think I could do to make the selectors work but I need to save up a bit to be able to buy one first.
Wow! You made my day, thank you!! :D Joined the forum only because of this! Was asking Softube to create a remote map couple of years ago. They said, they'd look into it. This would make me buy Console 1! @Ahornberg: would you be willing to make a video of your console 1 controlling the reason mixer? Can anyone else help with the track select buttons? If only I had the needed programming skills :geek:

Ahornberg

03 Feb 2016

mrdangamira wrote:
gullum wrote:
Wow! You made my day, thank you!! :D Joined the forum only because of this! Was asking Softube to create a remote map couple of years ago. They said, they'd look into it. This would make me buy Console 1! @Ahornberg: would you be willing to make a video of your console 1 controlling the reason mixer? Can anyone else help with the track select buttons? If only I had the needed programming skills :geek:
If you only want to control Reason's mixer and not plan to use Console 1 in the VST world then a Behringer BCR2000 would be a much cheaper solution.

Actually I do not plan to mak a video.

mrdangamira

03 Feb 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
If you only want to control Reason's mixer and not plan to use Console 1 in the VST world then a Behringer BCR2000 would be a much cheaper solution.

Been on the fence about getting the console 1 ever since it hit the stores. But I use Reason a lot and it would make sense due to my workflow for it to be able to control both, the reason mixer and the VST. So your remote map works exactly as the graphic displays?

Ahornberg

03 Feb 2016

mrdangamira wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:

Been on the fence about getting the console 1 ever since it hit the stores. But I use Reason a lot and it would make sense due to my workflow for it to be able to control both, the reason mixer and the VST. So your remote map works exactly as the graphic displays?
Yes it does. I'm going to mix a song the next days so I will see if the remote map needs some refinements ...

mrdangamira

03 Feb 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
Yes it does. I'm going to mix a song the next days so I will see if the remote map needs some refinements ...

Cool! Please keep me posted!

Ahornberg

03 Feb 2016

mrdangamira wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
Cool! Please keep me posted!
Some things go quicker as expected ... so here are my experiences after my first complete mix using Console 1 in Reason:

+ the remote mapping works as expected

- it is not easy to keep in focus which track is actually coltrolled by Console 1 (similar problem as in the VST version)
- some knobs and buttons are at different places as on the screen (solo and mute buttons, threshold and release knobs)

So for this time I do not plan to make any modifications on the remote mapping.

Ahornberg

20 Feb 2016

I made some changes to my codec and remotemap.

The biggest one is that I mapped both buttons of the compressor (peak and fast) to the attack knob.
So all 4 possible combinations of these 2 buttons are now on one knob and so actually one knob is unused.
To get this done I signed up as a developer at PH to get the documentation for remotemaps and codecs.

The input meter display I routed to the FX in and FX out meters of the channel strip.
So I can switch the insert before dynamics and eq to get an input gain level on the controller.

Feel free to download and use the codec and remotemap.
Attachments
Console1Reason.png
Console1Reason.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 28805 times
Console1Remote.zip
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 533 times

• Information