DAW Wars (the saga outside Reason continues...)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

tibah

21 May 2016

Works for some. Never worked for me.

Alkua

21 May 2016

My #1 choice is Pro tools for Record, Edit, and Mix. And Reason to make music (tired to rewire) .
My #2 is logic for Record, Edit, Mix, and Make music. (one daw to do all).

But if I don't make music, I can't record, edit, or mix, so that's why I use Reason.

cosignsessions

21 May 2016

@alkua You mean you don't like the new 'push a button any button make a song you know nothing' functionality of the new Reason (for dummies) edition?

Alkua

21 May 2016

cosignsessions wrote:@alkua You mean you don't like the new 'push a button any button make a song you know nothing' functionality of the new Reason (for dummies) edition?
Lol, I do like it, but I don't need it, I have AutoTheory that help me with the chord progression.

After Pitch edit, the feature that got me is audio to midi and bounce in place.

joeyluck

21 May 2016

cosignsessions wrote:@alkua You mean you don't like the new 'push a button any button make a song you know nothing' functionality of the new Reason (for dummies) edition?
I know music theory and play several instruments and I love the Player devices!

I'm going to make you a special version of Reason that removes all the features such as quantize MIDI and audio because you should play in time, the piano roll all-together because why do you need to edit any notes? Remove all the reverb units because you should record yourself in a natural space, etc etc etc we can go on and on. Maybe I'll just mail you a 4-track tape recorder in exchange for your license.

It's funny when people complain about new features making things easy...yet they complain as they want more features that make things easy.
Always so confusing.

cosignsessions

21 May 2016

What's ironic is no one gets 'tongue and cheek' anymore. Happy Reason user. Glad that I can now be the next Rachmaninoff (I'm smiling @joeyluck)

cosignsessions

21 May 2016

now after reading your response I noticed that you missed my (?) in my original post. Seriously dude. Chill.

cosignsessions

21 May 2016

Glad to see you have a sense of humor @alkua . Share the wealth!

selig
RE Developer

21 May 2016

cosignsessions wrote:now after reading your response I noticed that you missed my (?) in my original post. Seriously dude. Chill.
A question mark means you're asking a question. I suggest a Smily or "winky" if you're attempting "tongue-in-cheek". ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

cosignsessions

21 May 2016

@alkua answered appropriately

joeyluck

21 May 2016

cosignsessions wrote:What's ironic is no one gets 'tongue and cheek' anymore. Happy Reason user. Glad that I can now be the next Rachmaninoff (I'm smiling @joeyluck)
The second part of my response was tongue and cheek as well
and the last bit was agreeing with you how silly people can be ;) :? :roll: :thumbs_down: :thumbs_up: :cool: :ignition:

cosignsessions

21 May 2016

;) Us Virginians need to stick together...

bpmorton

24 May 2016

I bought Logic a few years back before Record came out. Loaded the software and tried to arm a track for recording and could not figure it out. I had to buy a book to figure it out. Similar situation a couple of weeks ago when I was at a friends house doing some drum recording with him. It took an hour to figure out How to get logic to put audio into our headphones, choose an input, arm a track...just a mess. I've never had a problem with software like I've experienced with Logic and I've used a few things since the late 80's (Master Tacks Pro, Vision, Deck, Reason)

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

25 May 2016

Currently diving into Harrison Mixbus 32C - it's a nice DAW, pretty straightforward stuff without reading the manual, following other DAW logical methods and approaches.

Cubase we're still having an illicit affair with, but we always end up going back to Reason for making the music in the first place (well, getting a bit more 50/50 with Cubase for audio bouncing of masslines and breaks via XLN, then using Reason for faster layout / arrangement / re-sampling of the masslines)

Skullture

25 May 2016

I find myself switching between Reaper and Ableton as secondary DAW. Reason always remains first pick, even though it is rewired as "slave" (there is a different term for slave nowadays, but for the love of god I can't think of it). Varies between 80% and 100% use of Reason. But I think I could live perfectly without a secondary DAW. It's always pain and misery to work with rewired productions in the end anyways..

cosignsessions

25 May 2016

Skullture wrote:I find myself switching between Reaper and Ableton as secondary DAW. Reason always remains first pick, even though it is rewired as "slave" (there is a different term for slave nowadays, but for the love of god I can't think of it). Varies between 80% and 100% use of Reason. But I think I could live perfectly without a secondary DAW. It's always pain and misery to work with rewired productions in the end anyways..
Agreed. I use Reaper for rewire. I only breakout of Reason for final mix (now that the External Midi Device enables me to run SD2 into Reason). I'm sure I would get completely lost if I tried writing while in Rewire mode.

Gulale

25 May 2016

MIDI Logic and Studio one 3 Mixing Harrison Mixbus 32c
Gulale aka Bereket

gak

26 May 2016

Don't be an idiot and rob yourself..........BUY THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

Karim
Competition Winner

26 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:
I know music theory and play several instruments and I love the Player devices!

I'm going to make you a special version of Reason that removes all the features such as quantize MIDI and audio because you should play in time, the piano roll all-together because why do you need to edit any notes? Remove all the reverb units because you should record yourself in a natural space, etc etc etc we can go on and on. Maybe I'll just mail you a 4-track tape recorder in exchange for your license.

It's funny when people complain about new features making things easy...yet they complain as they want more features that make things easy.
Always so confusing.
+1000 totally agree with u [emoji11] [emoji11] [emoji11]

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Goan

26 May 2016

To me using multiple daws was the solution for not being frustrated with missing features in reason anymore. I use live as my main daw, cause i just need all those wonderful warp modes, the new simpler, drum racks, push. For synth i rewire reason. Then when a track is done, i bounce the stems to my reason mastering template and do the mixing, because reasons mixer is just great. Since I decided to do my stuff like this, i never found myself complaining about missing features in either daw. It's like with your girlfriend, just accept who she is instead of waiting for her to become what you whish her to be...
Goan doesn't do Goa, he likes samples, weirdness, beats
Tools of choice: Reason, iPad, MicroBrute
Listen: http://adamagon.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... e-remix-ep

The_G

28 May 2016

I use 3 DAWs (Reason, Logic and Live). I am most creative in Reason--by a long shot. But there are things that both Logic and Live do that Reason does not, so I often end up slaving Reason to one of these via rewire.

I'm also a bit ADD so when I get into a creative slump it can be helpful to work in a different environment.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Karim
Competition Winner

28 May 2016

Goan wrote:To me using multiple daws was the solution for not being frustrated with missing features in reason anymore. I use live as my main daw, cause i just need all those wonderful warp modes, the new simpler, drum racks, push. For synth i rewire reason. Then when a track is done, i bounce the stems to my reason mastering template and do the mixing, because reasons mixer is just great. Since I decided to do my stuff like this, i never found myself complaining about missing features in either daw. It's like with your girlfriend, just accept who she is instead of waiting for her to become what you whish her to be...
or you go cheat her with another girl [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

txh003

01 Jun 2016

At this time, as well as in the foreseeable future, I primarily use one of the following DAWs:

* Presonus Studio One 3 Professional
* Magix Samplitude Pro X2 Suite
* MOTU Digital Performer 9

All three of the aforementioned DAWs offer slightly different workflows, strengths and weakness, but the end-results are not impeded with any of the said solutions. Overall, I am satisfied with the previously stated DAW options for my studio requirements and wants.

In addition, I also own licenses to Reason 7, Bitwig Studio. Akai MPC Software (MPC Renaissance) and old versions of several other DAWs. However, they are rarely used and further support, in regards to purchasing future upgrades and proprietary add-ons, is T.B.D., but unlikely.
Last edited by txh003 on 01 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Jmax

01 Jun 2016

Reason/Ableton/Studio One3

By far I find reason the easiest to be creative and it's so easy to get the drums going/Rex etc.

Ableton has superior editing, it's super easy and detailed to craft your slices.

Studio one 3 is very pretty on the eyes and works well for mastering.

• Information