Just noticed these: Korg "Studio" stuff

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gak

06 Jun 2016

http://www.korg.com/us/products/control ... ey_studio/

I have no idea how compatible with reason 9 they will be, but it would really be nice to have separate s/m and jog.

Gorgon

07 Jun 2016

gak wrote:http://www.korg.com/us/products/control ... ey_studio/

I have no idea how compatible with reason 9 they will be, but it would really be nice to have separate s/m and jog.
Wow nice! That should be fun combined with the new Players in R9.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

07 Jun 2016

Check out this guy, he can barely breathe lol

"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

apostlethirteen

08 Jun 2016

I got two nanoKontrol's and I love them. Cheap solutions to needing faders.
I just wish, these things had native maps for reason to kontrol only the main mixer giggity.
Its a pain to map it everytime.

Name: Ricky Neff
Reason 8.x.x - 9
:adapted: :re: :refill: :rt:

tanni

08 Jun 2016

in Reason 8 there are no Remote driver for the new KORG nanoKontrol studio and nanoKEY studio controllers. So you can't use them as control surface really good.
Maybe there are Remotedrivers in Reason 9 actually ??

Lizard

16 Jun 2016

Funny enough I just received an email from Sweetwater here in the US that the Nano Key Studio is now in stock. This is the one I had been having my eye on. They both look pretty cool but the Key Studio it the one I admire most. It looks like it could be a great fit between my Reason portable set up and a fantastic controller for the Gadget series. Inexpensive so I feel that may be something that will actually happen.

@apostlethirteen & tanni : The tools are there for you to create your own maps. Perhaps a little bit of a hassle to program at first but once you have that done it does not need to be programmed again. As long as the MIDI CC values for your device are not altered that is. All you need to do is crate a copy of the OTHER MIDI CONTROL SURFACE device codec and MAP and rename them. Then use a text editor to change just a few parameters in the code that you will clearly see like Device Name, Manufacturer, etc. And lastly, you will see all the MIDI CC values laid out in the list. Write the remote targets for the devices you want. These are all listed in Reason's appendix material in documentation. I don't mean to make it so "super easy" but it is easy enough if you read up just a little. You do not have to have programming skills or the like. Good luck. :)

EDIT : So I used my cunning ways and left suggestions through leaving web page adverts and "accidently" forwarding her my "Your Item Is In Stock!!!" notice from Sweetwter to her email. ;) A couple days and it can join the rest of my Korg collection. I'll let you know the verdict.

gak

17 Jun 2016

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it! That's the one I have my eye on the most too.

Lizard

20 Jun 2016

So I received my Korg nanoKey Studio over the week-end and had a bit of time to work with it. I ordered it through Sweetwater Sound here in the USA and it arrived very quicky… and over the US Postal Service at that. Incredible. But as promised I said I’d give a rundown on my experience with it.

At a Glance:

It comes in a small and generally plain package from Korg. Literally it is the size of a wireless media keyboard you may use with a media station or newer media equipped televisions. It is really lightweight so portability would be no issue. It will fit into your computer backpack without any problem but I would consider getting a protective sleeve for it. It would probably fit in an iPad or general tablet protective case nicely. It has a three position switch on it to put it in the OFF position or run it on USB or run it Bluetooth. Accompanied on the side is the port for the USB cable. It uses two AAA batteries when run in Bluetooth mode. It was comforting sitting at my computer and propping it on my knee and playing it in similar fashion to an old step recorder-type device which is something I haven’t really been able to do with my other controllers. It feels to be of solid construction. The knobs have a nice grip to them giving some level of resistance when turning. I like that. The trigger pads are the same quality as the ones on my Taktile albeit a tad smaller which is OK. They are illuminated on touch. The 2 octave keyboard is backlit which is a nice touch but would have preferred them being of the same material as the drum pads. They are of a hard plastic but still a generally comfortable feel. I’m not too disappointed on this.

Functionality :

One of the most appealing features for me with this device is its ability to operate via USB and Bluetooth. I was skeptical at first but more so with the Bluetooth. I had purchased the Korg Gadget collection and ran it on my iPhone 5. I’ve shied away from purchasing an iPad because for me it only offers a bigger screen to crack.  But with this program it is almost necessary. This is where I cannot rely on my fat fingers to be of any benefit in creating a track. But marrying the nanoKey Studio has made working with that software a dream. And… rightfully so I believe as they are of the same manufacturer right? But it was very easy to set up and instantly increased my production rate in it. This has in turn lit the fire in me to go buy an apple lightning HDMI adapter to plug into my monitor. Furthermore…. this has also built the desire to get the Korg plugKey audio device they have just announced which has a built in MIDI In, two 1/4in audio outs, headphone jack and volume knob. This can effectively run in tandem and sync Reason with Korg Gadget. But that’s the future….
Currently the nanoKey is not directly supported under Remote Technology. I’m sure this will change over a short period of time as Korg has almost all of their computer line supported in Reason. I doubt it will make it to the release of R9 but hopefully by 9.x. Still, it works well enough under the Other – MIDI Controller remote in Reason. If one were inclined to do so they could make a duplicate of these files and mildly edit them to specifically map for the devices they mostly use. It would not take any time at all and is just a matter of assigning the CC values. Of course the MIDI override works fine too and is saved with each song file which is probably the easiest thing to do at this point.

Like my Korg Triton Taktile there are some neat inherent features built in like the Chord Pad, Arp and Easy Scale features. Shord pad is editable in the downloadable editor. I haven’t had too much experience with the ARP yet and how to change the patterns but I’m it is there. The Taktile has a display to see all the patterns which this does not have. And easy scale allows you to set the scale type making it much easier to not make a bad not in your performance. Oddly… some of these features are similar in the new players in R9 it seems and like them the input to the track is recorded.

The Cons :

It can’t all be a bed of roses I suppose but in truth there are more good than bad. The things that might concern others is that an LED/LCD would be nice particularly for one to know what Scene they are on, Scale or Arp pattern. The octave buttons are nice enough that the colors of them changed based on the octave you are on but not all of the others follow the same suit. I would have loved to have seen the XY pad also double as a mouse pad. My Taktile will do this and really allows navigating around Reason just a tad easier. It’s not a deal breaker but seemed like such an easy thing that should have been considered in the design. And I will repeat that the keyboard buttons would feel much better if they were the same as the pads and probably would look cooler fully lighting up on touch.

Conclusion :

Hard to be unbiased as I knew what I was getting into but on the opportunity of using it I was not let down and it did meet most of my expectations. I was looking for something to travel with that was light weight and gave me a little more performance value. The fact that it mated so nicely with Korg Gadget was a hidden Gem. I will be looking to expand that soon by getting the Module App which will increase the Gadget by 4 more devices once I recover from my bleeding money issue. ;) I hope this helps anyone looking into the nanoKey Studio.

gak

21 Jun 2016

Thanks!

zeebot

28 Dec 2016

Got the mixer today, works like a dream in Gadget. Shame there isn't a map for reason as far as I can tell?
I'm also having a bit of a dur moment. How do you record automation (faders/mute) for all the channels of the SSL at the same time? It' easy in the 14:2.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

• Information