Audio file converter

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Faastwalker

01 Jul 2016

Can anyone recommend a good free audio file converter? (WAV to MP3)

submonsterz

01 Jul 2016

audacity is all you need there to be honest .
try a test mp3 v ogg youll ditch mp3 trust me ;). still do not understand why people use mp3 instead of formats like ogg .
by the way if you have reaper it does shit loads of formats and does wicked batch conversions .

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

01 Jul 2016

Wavosaur isn't bad either, you'll need to install the LAME encoder for it to process MP3s though...

However, if you want to get the best MP3 conversion, you can't go wrong with Sonnox Codec Toolbox, the people behind the industry standards of MP3 encoding. This one lets you preview various encoding before final printing. We use this whenever necessary, definitely something to have in the way of conversion tools IOHO

submonsterz

01 Jul 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Wavosaur isn't bad either, you'll need to install the LAME encoder for it to process MP3s though...

However, if you want to get the best MP3 conversion, you can't go wrong with Sonnox Codec Toolbox, the people behind the industry standards of MP3 encoding. This one lets you preview various encoding before final printing. We use this whenever necessary, definitely something to have in the way of conversion tools IOHO
still think ogg hands down over mp3 all day long :).
oh and while were at it about file conversion etc I`d recommend Voxengo r8brain for all your wav to wav conversions ie bit depth and sample rate conversions .
especially good for huge batch converting of wav formats reason has trouble reading and loading its free and very very good :thumbs_up:

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

01 Jul 2016

OGG can be better yes, but not as 'consumer' recognised like MP3 is to CD to cassette to vinyl.... consumers probably forgotten what Minidisc is (20bit CDs sounding better of course)

not sure if it's the popularity, or the licencing (if any...) that's causing other alternatives not to be as popular as MP3 (probably crApple throwing U2 albums in MP3 format on everyone's device a couple of years ago...)

There's FLAC too which isn't really seen that much

submonsterz

01 Jul 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:OGG can be better yes, but not as 'consumer' recognised like MP3 is to CD to cassette to vinyl.... consumers probably forgotten what Minidisc is (20bit CDs sounding better of course)

not sure if it's the popularity, or the licencing (if any...) that's causing other alternatives not to be as popular as MP3 (probably crApple throwing U2 albums in MP3 format on everyone's device a couple of years ago...)

There's FLAC too which isn't really seen that much
yup flac , ape and what I`d say in my opinion is the best of all wavpack ( http://www.wavpack.com/ )its super good wav packer the best I`ve tried and heard and so good file sizes :).
I use ogg here all ways and i can play it on all my devices straight off all my phones etc all play the ogg`s was surprised to be honest how many things do play the ogg format :).
I actually still hope reason adopts wavpack as I think it would greatly reduce wav sizes in Reason would be nice to have it as an option to save your Reason file using it for all audio used in the file.

mreese80

01 Jul 2016

Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

submonsterz

01 Jul 2016

mreese80 wrote:Use Wavepad http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/
hmmm he said free m8 ;)

GRIFTY

03 Jul 2016

LAME encoder. look it up. use it in whatever program will run it. i use musicbee as a mediaplayer and fileconverter. i have installed LAME as the mp3 encoder. it is a blissful life i lead

16BitBear

03 Jul 2016

I know you asked for a free one but if you are willing to spend less than $50.00, dBpoweramp by illustrate is the best music converter I have ever used. It handles a ton of lossless and lousy formats with free codecs easily installed into the base program. It also has batch conversion abilities and full IDT editing. For $39.00, I can think of nothing better.

adfielding

03 Jul 2016

Depends on your OS. If you're using OS X, XLD is fantastic. If you're using Windows, MP3 conversion is nice with WinLAME, I'm sure I ended up using something else for FLAC conversion as well but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head. Might have even been Foobar?

Electric-Metal

03 Jul 2016

http://www.audiograbber.org/download.html

Using this one for many years now.

For any codec you want to use, just copy the .dll to the install directory.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

mreese80

06 Jul 2016

submonsterz wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Use Wavepad http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/
hmmm he said free m8 ;)
It is free m8 :), you pay for advanced features
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

orthodox
RE Developer

06 Jul 2016

Lame Front-End (virustotal report)

The future is AAC, as soon as MP3 domination starts to fade.

Faastwalker

14 Jul 2016

Thanks for the all the replies. Plenty of ideas to look into there ;)

AttenuationHz

21 Jul 2016

VLC player converts wav to mp3 and lots of other formats. Stay away from the online websites that do it riddled!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Ostermilk

22 Jul 2016

submonsterz wrote:audacity is all you need there to be honest .
try a test mp3 v ogg youll ditch mp3 trust me ;). still do not understand why people use mp3 instead of formats like ogg .
by the way if you have reaper it does shit loads of formats and does wicked batch conversions .
Agreed, for free it covers a bunch of usable formats as you mention. There's also additional encoders for MP3 (LAME), and the option of the FFMpeg Library for AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA, import and export which are easy to setup and use within the program.

Full details on this page rather than the actual download page.

http://www.audacityteam.org/about/features/

Culumsku

22 Sep 2017

I use this tool: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... erter.html
It can deal with most all audio files conversion. This transcoder is also a good solution to video conversion.

• Information