Behringer X-Touch

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
dioxide

11 Jul 2016

Has anyone tried the Behringer X-Touch series with Reason?

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... er%20Audio

My guess is that these will need proper Remote support for the motorised faders.

normen

11 Jul 2016

It emulates the Mackie Control 100% so it should work out of the box with the Mackie Control remote plugin.

dioxide

12 Jul 2016

normen wrote:It emulates the Mackie Control 100% so it should work out of the box with the Mackie Control remote plugin.
It should but I wanted to know if anyone had actually tried it as there might be features that don't work. From what I have seen on YouTube some features don't work in Cubase for instance.

This video talks about it but he tries to get you to pay $5 to download further info. To be fair I had misheard the video and there is nothing in there that suggests that it won't work fully, it might just be a list of what each button does.

O1B

12 Jul 2016

dioxide wrote:
normen wrote:It emulates the Mackie Control 100% so it should work out of the box with the Mackie Control remote plugin.
It should but I wanted to know if anyone had actually tried it as there might be features that don't work. From what I have seen on YouTube some features don't work in Cubase for instance.

This video talks about it but he tries to get you to pay $5 to download further info. To be fair I had misheard the video and there is nothing in there that suggests that it won't work fully, it might just be a list of what each button does.
What Normen said. Mackie. Right out of the Box. I own it. Works well.
Faders, Meters, Scribbles, Lots of Sequencer Cntl, Mixer, Inst(Surface Locking), etc.
The intricacy of what's capable regarding transport control is new to me. (see x-mas lights on the right). I've moused it 'til now.

I'd say Logic probably has tighter integration with it OTB, which, for $5, is what the tutorial explains IMO.

Ill be paypalling that as well…

dioxide

12 Jul 2016

O1B wrote:
dioxide wrote:

What Normen said. Mackie. Right out of the Box. I own it. Works well.
Faders, Meters, Scribbles, Lots of Sequencer Cntl, Mixer, Inst(Surface Locking), etc.
The intricacy of what's capable regarding transport control is new to me. (see x-mas lights on the right). I've moused it 'til now.

I'd say Logic probably has tighter integration with it OTB, which, for $5, is what the tutorial explains IMO.

Ill be paypalling that as well…
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation and thanks for taking the time to reply to confirm. :thumbs_up:

SunSetCity

13 Jul 2016

O1B wrote:What Normen said. Mackie. Right out of the Box. I own it. Works well.
Maybe it is just me, because I'm doing something wrong but I cannot confirm the good integration of the X-Touch in Reason. Please don't get me wrong, I own the X-Touch Controller und I think it is a very neat device (maybe the jog-wheel is a little bit cheap but okay).

But there are a lot of features within the X-Touch, which are not supported in Reason! For example there are buttons that behave wrong (e. g. the "Click"-Button turns on/off the loop function in Reason, while the "Solo"-Button turns on/off the Click-sound.) or do not work at all (e. g. the "Record"-Button on each track doesn't work). The Clip-LED always stays lit, once reached, the display for the tracks has no colours and the Timing-Code is not fully displayed. Some features can be turned on, but not back off again. And the touch-sensitive faders should select/highlight the equivalent track/channel in Reason but they don't. To name just a few problems...

I've emailed Behringer, asking them, if these problems will be eliminated in a further firmware update. But they answered, that there is nothing about it, they can do. They use the dedicated Mackie Protocol for Reason and Propellerhead is the one who is responsible for that and the right behaviour in Reason. They assume that the actual Protocol is built after the old Line Mixers and hasn't been updated for newer Reason Versions and the SSL.

So Propellerhead should a) integrate Behringer X-Touch as a dedicated Controller in Reason or b) update their specifications for Mackie Protocol. So I've mailed PH about it but haven't got any answer yet.

I'm not an expert and can't say whether Behringer is right or wrong with their statement but once Propellerhead is able to integrate a better support for Behringer X-Touch in Reason, I really could recommend this Controller! But it works like a charm in Cubase today...

Hope this helped a bit.

Cheers!

gullum

13 Jul 2016

SunSetCity wrote: Maybe it is just me, because I'm doing something wrong but I cannot confirm the good integration of the X-Touch in Reason. Please don't get me wrong, I own the X-Touch Controller und I think it is a very neat device (maybe the jog-wheel is a little bit cheap but okay).

But there are a lot of features within the X-Touch, which are not supported in Reason! For example there are buttons that behave wrong (e. g. the "Click"-Button turns on/off the loop function in Reason, while the "Solo"-Button turns on/off the Click-sound.) or do not work at all (e. g. the "Record"-Button on each track doesn't work). The Clip-LED always stays lit, once reached, the display for the tracks has no colours and the Timing-Code is not fully displayed. Some features can be turned on, but not back off again. And the touch-sensitive faders should select/highlight the equivalent track/channel in Reason but they don't. To name just a few problems...

I've emailed Behringer, asking them, if these problems will be eliminated in a further firmware update. But they answered, that there is nothing about it, they can do. They use the dedicated Mackie Protocol for Reason and Propellerhead is the one who is responsible for that and the right behaviour in Reason. They assume that the actual Protocol is built after the old Line Mixers and hasn't been updated for newer Reason Versions and the SSL.

So Propellerhead should a) integrate Behringer X-Touch as a dedicated Controller in Reason or b) update their specifications for Mackie Protocol. So I've mailed PH about it but haven't got any answer yet.

I'm not an expert and can't say whether Behringer is right or wrong with their statement but once Propellerhead is able to integrate a better support for Behringer X-Touch in Reason, I really could recommend this Controller! But it works like a charm in Cubase today...

Hope this helped a bit.

Cheers!
Behringer is right in their statement I have the icon Qcon Pro + 2 EXT and they also behave the same as x-touch no record buttons work and some other buttons were doing other then what was labeled. I had to make a new Remote map for them and have gotten it working with 99% of reasons functions most of my RE's are also fully mapped

O1B

14 Jul 2016

SunsetCity,

I hope you had the chance to read Gollym's follow up. My purpose for the XTouch was motorized faders for instrument parameters and mixer/track recall. I also got it to link with the xr-18 for simultaneous - per track control. Anything else is gravy - and there's loads beyond mouse clicks.

Compared to the S2's jog wheels or the X1's touch strip -yes, XTouch's jog wheel can't compare. But it gets the job done. I have accepted the crude non-dj'esque performance of most midi controllers.

It'd be nice to have a R9-specific daw controller. In the meantime...

Floaf

14 Dec 2016

Is it possible to change the colors on the displays if the controller runs in Mackie mode? If I modify the remote mapping and am able to send whatever midimessage I want, is it even possible to set the colors when it run i Mackie mode?

djsmex

18 Sep 2017

I don't own a x-touch myself but found this article and wondered if any owners of the x-touch would try it out and let us know how well it works:
http://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custom ... ap-layout/
cheers,

O1B

18 Sep 2017

Just saw... Nice.
Im a Couple months from X-Touch submersion time for me but I do hope someone tries it.
I'm using the easy midi of the Motor61 to control R9, Aira, Boutiques, and such - into a multi-track mixer.

But, Im glad you found this. Motorized faders are the joint - and, i'd much prefer R9 to LX.

djsmex wrote:
18 Sep 2017
I don't own a x-touch myself but found this article and wondered if any owners of the x-touch would try it out and let us know how well it works:
cheers,

xRwu8

21 Sep 2017

Wow I just looked at that remapping and it looks awesome. I too don't own an X-Touch (I use a BCR2000 with LcXmu, plus a ShuttlePro v2), but if this setup works well, it might actually convince me to buy one. Having the channel scribble strip text on the hardware would make such a difference, as would having meter lights. Definitely has me considering a switch!
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

SunSetCity

24 Sep 2017

djsmex wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Hi all,

I own a X-Touch and had the chance to test the config from Mr. Jaexx yesterday. What should I say? There are a lot of more improvements left but I don‘t know if that is possible at all, without working for Behringer or Propellerheads.

So, two thumbs up for Mr. Jaexx and his incredible work. The workflow is much smoother now and most of the important buttons on the X-Touch work like you expect them to. It is really fun to use the hardware now and it helps to get things done in Reason.

Conclusion: X-Touch is a neat device and using the config file from Mr. Jaexx is a must-have when you work in Reason. Both get my full recommendation.

Cheers
SunSet

xRwu8

25 Sep 2017

SunSetCity wrote:
24 Sep 2017
djsmex wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Hi all,

I own a X-Touch and had the chance to test the config from Mr. Jaexx yesterday. What should I say? There are a lot of more improvements left but I don‘t know if that is possible at all, without working for Behringer or Propellerheads.

So, two thumbs up for Mr. Jaexx and his incredible work. The workflow is much smoother now and most of the important buttons on the X-Touch work like you expect them to. It is really fun to use the hardware now and it helps to get things done in Reason.

Conclusion: X-Touch is a neat device and using the config file from Mr. Jaexx is a must-have when you work in Reason. Both get my full recommendation.

Cheers
SunSet
Thanks a lot for posting your thoughts! Will help me make a more informed decision. Cheers
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

djsmex

25 Sep 2017

Yes thanks for your thoughts and thanks to Mr Jaexx

turbopage
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2018

Music Will Save Us

violent grey

18 Aug 2018

I love mine... sometimes they can be picky... like if you re install an os or move in place of another after programming them, or if you move the usb cables at the back of the computer, there is a sequence to turn on too, and im not using the feature of chaining... for some reason couldnt get that to work out for my template. i use 24 channels for samples and parallel 9, and use 3 buss for a total of 36 channels.

best investment ever... besides the acoustic treatment i did and the presonus and sub.

Nocturn789

06 Feb 2020

In case someone is interested.
I just created this new Topic for an X-Touch custom Script.
:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

• Information