HDD with SSD

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
grueser3

15 Aug 2016

I seem to have read awhile back, actually a few years ago, something about if you have a computer with a HDD and aSSD that reason may not run properly, I'm not sure it was on this forum or props forum. Is there any basis to this? It seems like many computers I've been looking at have both. But I don't want to buy one if that could be an issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Loque

15 Aug 2016

I have no problems running any software including Reason. And i enjoy the 30 times faster reading and writing :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Aug 2016

grueser3 wrote:I seem to have read awhile back, actually a few years ago, something about if you have a computer with a HDD and aSSD that reason may not run properly, I'm not sure it was on this forum or props forum. Is there any basis to this? It seems like many computers I've been looking at have both. But I don't want to buy one if that could be an issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have both HDD's and SSD's and don't have any issues with any software including Reason.

grueser3

15 Aug 2016

Thanks for the input, Logue and Carly, I really appreciate the help.

Gorgon

15 Aug 2016

grueser3 wrote:I seem to have read awhile back, actually a few years ago, something about if you have a computer with a HDD and aSSD that reason may not run properly, I'm not sure it was on this forum or props forum. Is there any basis to this?
Nope, there isn't! :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

AttenuationHz

17 Aug 2016

grueser3 wrote:I seem to have read awhile back, actually a few years ago, something about if you have a computer with a HDD and aSSD that reason may not run properly, I'm not sure it was on this forum or props forum. Is there any basis to this? It seems like many computers I've been looking at have both. But I don't want to buy one if that could be an issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have reason on a SSD and have 0 problems. If you are purchasing a new computer you will not have any problems. Just be sure you go for a processor with the most physical cores that you can afford. Reason can only use physical cores and does not use threaded or hyper threaded cores.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Gorgon

17 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:

Thanks
I have reason on a SSD and have 0 problems. If you are purchasing a new computer you will not have any problems. Just be sure you go for a processor with the most physical cores that you can afford. Reason can only use physical cores and does not use threaded or hyper threaded cores.
.... which has nothing to do with the question, and is also wrong. Reason does use hyper threading, but not for audio rendering.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

AttenuationHz

17 Aug 2016

Gorgon wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:

Thanks
.... which has nothing to do with the question, and is also wrong. Reason does use hyper threading, but not for audio rendering.
What so are you saying you would be happier if the OP was ignorant to that fact. When you start making music with no sound at all your point may be valid.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Gorgon

18 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote: What so are you saying you would be happier if the OP was ignorant to that fact. When you start making music with no sound at all your point may be valid.
What I'm saying is that you are spreading misinformation about CPU use so you're obviously not qualified to give any advice regarding them.

AttenuationHz

18 Aug 2016

Gorgon wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote: What so are you saying you would be happier if the OP was ignorant to that fact. When you start making music with no sound at all your point may be valid.
What I'm saying is that you are spreading misinformation about CPU use so you're obviously not qualified to give any advice regarding them.
"Reason doesn't support hyper threading, only physical cores so that may explain some of this behavior."

That's a quote from Propellerhead support. Are they qualified?

Your arrogance is outstanding. You know nothing about me or my qualifications. I am not here to get into a pointless argument with someone who obviously has problems so get a grip brother.

Gorgon

18 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote: Your arrogance is outstanding. You know nothing about me or my qualifications. I am not here to get into a pointless argument with someone who obviously has problems so get a grip brother.
Bla bla bla.

Here's a direct quote from PH:

Hi,

Hyperthreading is supported for non-audio tasks, e.g. GUI handling. For audio processing, hyperthreading is not used.

Reason should work fine on Intel 5820 CPUs as far as we know.
Generally, the faster the CPU the better, and the more cores the better.

Also make sure you don't waste processing power by using too high sample rates in your audio interface.

Not to mention that your advice is absolutely 0% relevant to the question of the topic starter, no matter how you're trying to dress it up.

AttenuationHz

18 Aug 2016

Gorgon wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote: "Reason doesn't support hyper threading, only physical cores so that may explain some of this behavior."

Your arrogance is outstanding. You know nothing about me or my qualifications. I am not here to get into a pointless argument with someone who obviously has problems so get a grip brother.
Bla bla bla.

Hi,

Hyperthreading is supported for non-audio tasks, e.g. GUI handling. For audio processing, hyperthreading is not used.

Also make sure you don't waste processing power by using too high sample rates in your audio interface.

Not to mention that your advice is absolutely 0% relevant to the question of the topic starter, no matter how you're trying to dress it up.
I am not trying to dress anything up. It seems you are the one going out of the way to try and backtrack something you may have said in error and like I said when you start making music with no audio your point might have some validity. I addressed the topic in my reply. So let me ask you a direct question is your problem that I am trying to be friendly and helpful or that you think I'm a liar. You might think you have gotten to me with your antagonistic statement but I have absolutely no problem with you. When was the last time you had a hug?

dagwood

18 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote: "Reason doesn't support hyper threading, only physical cores so that may explain some of this behavior."

Bla bla bla.

Hi,

I am not trying to dress anything up. It seems you are the one going out of the way to try and backtrack something you may have said in error and like I said when you start making music with no audio your point might have some validity. I addressed the topic in my reply. So let me ask you a direct question is your problem that I am trying to be friendly and helpful or that you think I'm a liar. You might think you have gotten to me with your antagonistic statement but I have absolutely no problem with you. When was the last time you had a hug?
Seems like you don't have all of the information. I saw this earlier in the cpu stress thread:
Here's a fun experiment for those on a Hyperthreaded machine: slap together a hefty project with lots of audio tracks - ones with lots and lots of audio tracks. Then try changing the tempo to an absurdly low tempo - like 2 BPM - and see how long it takes for Reason to completely stretch all audio.

Undo your tempo change and save the project.

Now, turn off Hyperthreading (usually done in your motherboard BIOS), open your project, and drop the tempo to 2 BPM again and wait and see how long it takes to stretch all of the audio. ;)

Reason may not use all [HT] core threads for DSP, but it sure does use them for high quality stretch and resample, disc i/o, and GUI stuff.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... ng#p214764

• Information