Headphone Recommendation

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Bloma

06 Nov 2016

I've had the Sennheiser HD280 for a few years now, which are fine when used in conjunction with my monitors (Event 20/20 BAS which I love). I'm going to be traveling around and will be making and mixing music, so want some really decent cans so I can mix the bass properly. I'm thinking about getting the AKG 712 Pro, because I love my C414 and have a good feeling about AKG. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

pushedbutton

06 Nov 2016

https://www.storedj.com.au/category/Hea ... Monitoring
Here's a website for a company local to you, look at it, decide which ones you'd like to try then visit the shop and insist on a demo.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Bloma

06 Nov 2016

Thanks, yeah man that's exactly where I plan on buying them from, cos they're on sale there.

Bloma

06 Nov 2016

One thing I've read about the AKG 712 Pro is that they use a lot of power. I don't really understand how that translates to my setup. I have a Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt interface running on a MacBook Pro. If anyone can shed some light on this that would be amazing.

pushedbutton

07 Nov 2016

I think your interface is up to the job, zoom is a reliable brand, thunderbolt carries more power than USB, I think you'll be fine with whatever headphones you choose.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Djstarski

07 Nov 2016

Sony MDR-7506 Professional Monitor Headphones Andrew Scheps used these to mix a track on and he got the low end tight .

selig
RE Developer

07 Nov 2016

Djstarski wrote:Sony MDR-7506 Professional Monitor Headphones Andrew Scheps used these to mix a track on and he got the low end tight .
If you're a grammy award winning engineer, you can probably mix on anything!
To each their own…
I've never won a grammy and can't listen to those phones for long without ear fatigue. So take my comments with a HUGE grain of salt… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Djstarski

07 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
Djstarski wrote:Sony MDR-7506 Professional Monitor Headphones Andrew Scheps used these to mix a track on and he got the low end tight .
If you're a grammy award winning engineer, you can probably mix on anything!
To each their own…
I've never won a grammy and can't listen to those phones for long without ear fatigue. So take my comments with a HUGE grain of salt… ;)
That is true . It depends what level your on and what feels good to you . But for the price its not to bad , may take some time to get use to . i have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 , which are nice .

jonheal

07 Nov 2016

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. I think they sound fine. More importantly, they are comfortable. I have extremely sensitive head skin. The Sennheiser HD280s, for instance, make my head feel like it's being crushed in a vice. I almost tear-up.

If you can, try before you buy.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

selig
RE Developer

07 Nov 2016

I was recently gifted some sweet AKG K550 "reference headphones" from a friend who works in the industry. They are SO comfortable and very easy to work with on all levels. Had never considered these before now, but am definitely a fan after only a few days of use.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Bloma

07 Nov 2016

Perhaps you were wearing the limited spiked edition the wrong way around?

Bloma

07 Nov 2016

selig wrote:I was recently gifted some sweet AKG K550 "reference headphones" from a friend who works in the industry. They are SO comfortable and very easy to work with on all levels. Had never considered these before now, but am definitely a fan after only a few days of use.
:)
Nice, I've tried some AKGs before and they were really comfy, I'll go in and try out the K712s. I want something that'll last me for a while and do the job really well.

cosignsessions

07 Nov 2016

Sennheiser HD 201 Pro. So awful they are good! Not sure how they keep a straight face with the 'Pro' tag but for me these shit cans are the NS 10s of headphones, in my opinion.

The_G

08 Nov 2016

AKGs or ATs.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

michal22

08 Nov 2016

I have a lot of headphones and a big surprise for me were the Philips Fidelio x1 / x2. Despite the fact that these are not studio headphones I have the best results in them. They are very detailed and accurate, while not losing its melody and this thing in music. It is not sterile and tiring sound. In addition, very comfortable, open and easy to drive. I would recommend to listen in shop. Do not buy blind.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

I use AKG 702.Those are some nice comfortable and analytic headphones. I can wear them the whole day without head and earache.

michal22

08 Nov 2016

By the way, I ask. Do any of you listened Beyerdynamic Custom Studio or Ultrasone Pro 2900/2900i? How impressions? I like a lot of bass and simultaneous detail without hissing sibilance. The sound must cause fun. Dynamics and clear transients are welcome too. :)

slightlyprog

09 Nov 2016

I just got some Sony MDR 7506's and quite honestly the sound is a bit jolting. To the point that I have to wonder if these are some kind of knock-offs or something :-o

What I have been using are Senn HD 540s that I have had for 20 years. My current speakers are Equator D5s. These 7506's are so hyped in the high end, we're talking massive massive highs, crazy amount of highs. They seem to be recommended many places and I have seen the comment that they're a 'bit bright' but this is way way more than just a bit bright!

They're pretty much un-usable as-is. I have read about the Sonarworks calibration plugin but it doesn't sound like there would be a convenient way to use it with Reason. Has anyone used this?

I am just shocked and puzzled at how vast the difference is between these and my HD540s. Am I missing something?

sumusik

09 Nov 2016

slightlyprog wrote:I just got some Sony MDR 7506's and quite honestly the sound is a bit jolting. To the point that I have to wonder if these are some kind of knock-offs or something :-o

What I have been using are Senn HD 540s that I have had for 20 years. My current speakers are Equator D5s. These 7506's are so hyped in the high end, we're talking massive massive highs, crazy amount of highs. They seem to be recommended many places and I have seen the comment that they're a 'bit bright' but this is way way more than just a bit bright!

They're pretty much un-usable as-is. I have read about the Sonarworks calibration plugin but it doesn't sound like there would be a convenient way to use it with Reason. Has anyone used this?

I am just shocked and puzzled at how vast the difference is between these and my HD540s. Am I missing something?
I'm actually surprised buy your view of the MDRs, but reading further down I suspect, like anything, I guess one's ears get accustomed to a certain 'sound' and using the 540s for 20 years, well that will do it. I think all of our senses (not just hearing) will generally start filling in the blanks for things that are missing so to speak, so if switching out and your hear more high end or something, it will most certainly seem more exaggerated than it actually is. It's like when your ears are clogged and then it unclogs it seems like you have super hearing! Well something like that any way. lol. I've been using the MDR-7506s forever. I most likely will never change. Have been through many pairs. There is a reason why these were/still are? studio standard for lord knows how long. Oh, and also imho, the fatigue for me is a lot less than other phones I've tried. Again, maybe because I'm used to them. Good luck on your search!

slightlyprog

09 Nov 2016

Is it possible they need to break in a bit before they sound like they're supposed to?

If not then I think there must be something wrong with this pair, the highs are so exaggerated (and trust me, I'm not exaggerating :mrgreen: ) that if they don't break-in there's just no way I could use them without some kind of calibration EQ inline.

I have used lots of phones over the years and I have some AKGs as well, so it's not like I am so conditioned to the 540s, but I am extremely clued-in about what the music I am listening to actually sounds like and, needless to say, it does not sound like what's coming out of these 7506's.

----OK, I just read on some other forums very similar reactions from other people finding the MDRs extremely harsh when new to the point of un-listenable and finding that they do eventually break in after a certain amount of hours. Sooooooooooo, I'll give them a chance.

michal22

10 Nov 2016

slightlyprog wrote:Is it possible they need to break in a bit before they sound like they're supposed to?

If not then I think there must be something wrong with this pair, the highs are so exaggerated (and trust me, I'm not exaggerating :mrgreen: ) that if they don't break-in there's just no way I could use them without some kind of calibration EQ inline.

I have used lots of phones over the years and I have some AKGs as well, so it's not like I am so conditioned to the 540s, but I am extremely clued-in about what the music I am listening to actually sounds like and, needless to say, it does not sound like what's coming out of these 7506's.

----OK, I just read on some other forums very similar reactions from other people finding the MDRs extremely harsh when new to the point of un-listenable and finding that they do eventually break in after a certain amount of hours. Sooooooooooo, I'll give them a chance.
Everyone has a different range of hearing and sensitivity to the treble. The older man, the less he hears highs. I am also strongly sensitive to these ranges, and therefore I use headphones that sound warm. In my opinion, if the wording of the headphones is too bright for you then you should not use them. Head to adjust, but you may damage your hearing. Sharp, bright headphones are good for producers, who have already dulled hearing because they publicized concerts for example.

selig
RE Developer

10 Nov 2016

slightlyprog wrote:I just got some Sony MDR 7506's and quite honestly the sound is a bit jolting. To the point that I have to wonder if these are some kind of knock-offs or something :-o

I have always felt that way about the Sony MDR series over the years. And I've played drums and keys in a LOT over very loud bands over the years (still do from time to time), as well as going to loud concerts (I wear ear plugs now, but didn't always do so in my younger years). I'm 55 years young now, and STILL find that these phones sound the same to me: harsh and unlistenable for long periods and at anything above low to medium levels. I know I'm not alone in this, but also know many that swear by them.

I am always weary of those who say "these monitors/phones are the industry standard" or "just get them, you can't go wrong" because you CAN go wrong! Everyone is different, and musical styles are different. You gotta not only choose the right tool for the job but also the best tool for YOU. So I always suggest starting with the list of "standards" and go from there - and as always LISTEN before you make any final decisions (and ask a lot of questions online and in person).

As for "breaking in", sometimes this makes a bigger difference, sometimes not much at all. It takes time to break in, so you won't really notice the change unless you compared to a brand new pair. The good news is you don't have to actually wear them while you break them in. The bad news is by the time they are broken in you probably can't return them!
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

10 Nov 2016

I use the KRK 8400s. Sound great and are very comfortable. I can easily wear them for hours and have on occasion forgot I had them on and were not listening to my monitors. Singing with both ears on can be a bit hard when recording, but that's more of a closed back headphone characteristic I believe.

kuhliloach

10 Nov 2016

Having used several brands including Grado, Sony, and Sennheiser it's a toss up. I have landed on the open-ear HD598 by Sennheiser. It took some time to get used to them. Seriously. Now it is difficult to use anything else without this feeling that something is lacking. They are fairly loud and do very well by themselves; that said I usually use them with a headphone amp.

The Sony V6 which I love is still available but I'm not clear how this differs from the 7506. Compared to the HD598 I feel the V6 has tighter & less dominating bass response than HD598's which can truly be thunderous. Due to comfort problems and little follicles making buzzing noises I cannot recommend Grado's. A wonderful lightweight portable headphone is the Sennheiser PX200 (closed design).

slightlyprog

10 Nov 2016

selig wrote: As for "breaking in", sometimes this makes a bigger difference, sometimes not much at all. It takes time to break in, so you won't really notice the change unless you compared to a brand new pair. The good news is you don't have to actually wear them while you break them in. The bad news is by the time they are broken in you probably can't return them!
Well, after doing some Googling I can see that there are fakes going around. I will say though, if they are knock-offs they are perfect in appearance, but then it's certainly possible because the packaging and other differences were pointed out several years ago, so they could well have sharpened-up those details. I have put in a return request with the seller, which is a UK based Ebay seller. I read lots more reviews and the conclusion I am inescapably coming to is that it is completely impossible that this pair sounds like they're supposed to because the hyped highs are so extreme, and I see so many reviews where they only just say how great they are and that just doesn't add up. If they all sounded like these then EVERY review would be commenting on the piercing crazy highs, I cannot stress enough that it is not a subtle thing :puf_smile: Anyway, I'm just going to cut my loses right now.

Once again and for the record, there's just no way that what I received are genuine and in spec, they are either defective or they're knock-offs. :puf_unhappy: So anyone considering the 7506s, don't take my impression as a reliable guide, what I have must surely not be representative.

• Information