computer recommendations

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
JRIII86

02 Dec 2016

I'm in the market for a new computer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, or suggestions about factors I should consider? Since running Reason is the most intensive thing I use the computer for, I thought I'd ask around here. I've been using a desktop imac from 2006 with Reason 4, which has served me pretty well. Occasionally it freezes while Reason is open and I have to restart the computer, or it gets choppy during playback and I have to restart the program to fix it. These days I've been using Reason mostly for recording and mixing live audio, recording up to six tracks at a time, and probably the most tracks I've had in a song is about 30. I don't think I need the most top-of-the-line thing since my 10-year-old computer has worked with relatively few problems, but I want to make a wise investment. I'd like to get another mac, but a couple of specific things I've been debating are whether to get a new or used model (ie. older is cheaper but won't last as long), and whether to get a desktop or laptop. It would be nice to have the portability of a laptop but I don't know how much I actually need it. Has anyone found working in Reason more annoying on a smaller screen? Also, I'd like to have a fair amount of hard drive space; 1 TB would be nice. Right now I have 250GB and have maxed it out.

Comments appreciated!

TheGuyNotNamedBob

02 Dec 2016

I use a 2015 MacBook Pro hand have really liked it. Would opt for more power and storage though, if I had to do it again. When getting to 15+ devices (which is low) I can get the computer too slow to play song error.

JRIII86

03 Dec 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:I use a 2015 MacBook Pro hand have really liked it. Would opt for more power and storage though, if I had to do it again. When getting to 15+ devices (which is low) I can get the computer too slow to play song error.
When you say "power", by what dimension is that measured? Is that processor speed? Sorry -- I'm not the most computer savvy person.

Vince-Noir-99

03 Dec 2016

Regarding screen sizes, and keeping in mind this is quite subjective: I found working on a 13" MBP not that smooth in terms of screen space, even at different scaling settings. Perhaps the 15" I would find acceptable but at what cost hehe.. So I'm pretty happy to connect the 13" MBP to an external monitor. Speaking of which:
21" @1080p is workable
24" @1080p a bit better
27" @1080p is large and nice
27" @1440p is first class deluxe
32" @1440p is first class royale
42" @4k is eyes of the condor experience
(I actually went through all those setups over time :)).

Regarding specs, my 2015 base model MBP is being quite efficient (2.7Ghz i5, 8GB ram), and I bet it would be for you as well, given the typical workload you've described.

Otherwise, if you don't need to carry around your DAW, a current base imac would serve you good for the next few years, I'm pretty sure of that.

I remember when I bought my first computer exactly 10 years ago, and the 2 others in between until last year, and had to worry about upgrading specs in order to make them efficient to run a DAW, plugins etc.. But I have the impression now it's not the case so much anymore. Unless my computing needs have somehow dramatically humbled :D

HepCat

03 Dec 2016

JRIII86 wrote:Has anyone found working in Reason more annoying on a smaller screen?
I'm using a 27" 2560 x 1440 screen, l guess you'd call that 1440p. Thus l'd say l find everything on all programs more annoying to work with on a larger screen because you have to strain your eyes, unless you just lower the resolution but that kinda defeats the point. Probably better to use 2 monitors at "meh" res if your GPU card and physical desk space can afford it.

I'm still glad l bought my WQHD monitor though, because l am into graphic art too. By the way, in the customer reviews for a monitor on a retailer's website, maybe ignore the rants about "dead pixels"? In my limited experience of buying only 1 brand new monitor ever (the WQHD one), l don't see any dead pixels.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

04 Dec 2016

JRIII86 wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:I use a 2015 MacBook Pro hand have really liked it. Would opt for more power and storage though, if I had to do it again. When getting to 15+ devices (which is low) I can get the computer too slow to play song error.
When you say "power", by what dimension is that measured? Is that processor speed? Sorry -- I'm not the most computer savvy person.
Haha. Neither am I, but processor speed and RAM amounts are both important.

Gorgon

06 Dec 2016

JRIII86 wrote:I'm in the market for a new computer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, or suggestions about factors I should consider? Since running Reason is the most intensive thing I use the computer for, I thought I'd ask around here. I've been using a desktop imac from 2006 with Reason 4, which has served me pretty well. Occasionally it freezes while Reason is open and I have to restart the computer, or it gets choppy during playback and I have to restart the program to fix it. These days I've been using Reason mostly for recording and mixing live audio, recording up to six tracks at a time, and probably the most tracks I've had in a song is about 30. I don't think I need the most top-of-the-line thing since my 10-year-old computer has worked with relatively few problems, but I want to make a wise investment. I'd like to get another mac, but a couple of specific things I've been debating are whether to get a new or used model (ie. older is cheaper but won't last as long), and whether to get a desktop or laptop. It would be nice to have the portability of a laptop but I don't know how much I actually need it. Has anyone found working in Reason more annoying on a smaller screen? Also, I'd like to have a fair amount of hard drive space; 1 TB would be nice. Right now I have 250GB and have maxed it out.

Comments appreciated!
What's your budget?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

The_G

06 Dec 2016

I use a 15" MBP and don't have any issues with screen size. But you can also hook a laptop up to an LCD screen (they are not expensive), so really the best argument for a desktop is that you get more computer for your money--at the cost of portability. If you don't plan to move around with your computer, then I'd go for an iMac. If you do, like me, you'll need a laptop.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

JRIII86

06 Dec 2016

Gorgon wrote:
What's your budget?

I've been looking at used ones and I'd like to keep it under $1000 (though I'm speaking in Canadian dollars, fyi, I guess that's about $750 American). I think I will just go with a desktop again. From what I've seen online that puts me at a 2013 model at the latest. I suppose if it was a better investment for me to do so then I could shell out the money to buy new and I wouldn't starve, but I'd prefer to have more breathing room in my bank account if possible. I've seen a lot of computers in a good price range with 4gb ram. Propellerheads recommends 8 for Reason 9 but 4 should be okay, right? My current computer only has 2, although I know I'm using an older version of Reason. But anyway, I don't really use rack extensions and refills.

The_G

07 Dec 2016

JRIII86 wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
What's your budget?

I've been looking at used ones and I'd like to keep it under $1000 (though I'm speaking in Canadian dollars, fyi, I guess that's about $750 American). I think I will just go with a desktop again. From what I've seen online that puts me at a 2013 model at the latest. I suppose if it was a better investment for me to do so then I could shell out the money to buy new and I wouldn't starve, but I'd prefer to have more breathing room in my bank account if possible. I've seen a lot of computers in a good price range with 4gb ram. Propellerheads recommends 8 for Reason 9 but 4 should be okay, right? My current computer only has 2, although I know I'm using an older version of Reason. But anyway, I don't really use rack extensions and refills.
You want 8gb of RAM--at least. But it's very easy to add/replace RAM with an iMac.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

O1B

07 Dec 2016

Im on a 13 MB Air (Mid 2013) ... 8 GB RAM, 500 GB, Yosemite 10.10.1

... maybe 8-9 safari windows open,
Audio Highjack Pro on QuickTime and SYSTEM audio,
Reason with 6 files open, one with 6-7 instruments I'm flipping through and playing with Livid BASE,
2 Snakebites, 1 Antidote, 1 ID8,1 A-List Power Drummer, 1 Thor, 1 Viking
iTunes...
3 QuickTimes Videos, 1 ReCycle Project, and TRAKTOR.
And, I use 1 screen (and gestures).

It's near it's limit, but WOW! - what's a NEW MB AIR like?
Easy to carry, and no issues for me with Reason (resizing often, but no biggie)

New 2016 MBP "15 comes tomorrow, coincidentally. 1TB, 16 GB. Off to the races....

Gorgon

08 Dec 2016

JRIII86 wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
What's your budget?

Well, if you use Reason 4, RAM isn't a concern, neither is harddrive space (unless you jam it full of refills). you could buy a 2008 laptop and Reason 4 would fly on it. So it doesn't really matter.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

JRIII86

08 Dec 2016

Gorgon wrote:
Well, if you use Reason 4, RAM isn't a concern, neither is harddrive space (unless you jam it full of refills). you could buy a 2008 laptop and Reason 4 would fly on it. So it doesn't really matter.
Well, I suppose I should add that I assumed I'd end up upgrading to Reason 9 once I got a new computer. So you're saying I need to have at least 8gb ram for that?

EdGrip

09 Dec 2016

8gb to give you comfortable headroom above the OS and Reason for samples, devices etc. Cost difference between 4gb and 8gb should be relatively little.
Opt for the very fastest processor you can afford - that's the thing Reason needs most; calculations per second. It's easier to add RAM later if you need to, than to upgrade the processor, so make that your priority.

As others have said, you'll get a more capable computer for your money with a desktop than a laptop, but if you need a laptop you need a laptop. You can add a big monitor to a laptop, and have the sequencer live on the laptop screen and the mixer and rack on the big screen above, and you'll feel like a rockstar.

Consider a professional workstation-grade Dell PC rather than a Mac.

O1B

09 Dec 2016

It seems some on here have never felt the "headroom" of 16GB RAM.
Trust me, if you can afford 16 GB RAM, go that route. It makes a world of difference.
And, on MacBooks, RAM - like the motherboard - can NOT me upgraded so filler up at the Point of Purchase.

Consider a beefed up MBAir for $1100-1500. 2.2GHz, 8GB, 500GB,
The 15" non-TouchBar/TOuchID rMBP version is $1300 to start. 2.7GHz,....

consider well. And remember, NO MAC, NO MPE. Do it Right, Do it once - every three.

Speaking of BIG Monitors, there's a new Apple 4K on sale for ~$550.
Incredible, I think.
I think ill try the dual monitor thing w/ FLUX Analyzer. ( the monitor is not coming out for 5-6weeks)

EdGrip

09 Dec 2016

I think you can still upgrade RAM in MacBook Pros? Although now you mention it I seem to remember hearing something about them gluing it in, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

I don't know what MPE is.

I meant to say at least 8gb. There's 32 in my laptop, but I've never bumped into it, even editing video, so that's maybe excessive.

EdGrip

09 Dec 2016

Also, while you're at it, get a gaming mouse with lots of customisable thumb buttons. You can assign the buttons to all sorts of useful things like transport control, switching tools, switching between mixer, rack, sequencer, showing the browser, flip the rack, etc etc, whatever's most useful to you. It makes life so much easier. I use a wireless one made by Logitech - G602, one AA battery lasts months and months - but any one with lots of buttons is what you need.

JRIII86

09 Dec 2016

Thanks for all the comments so far. It's made me reconsider my options.
I also noticed that Propellerheads recommends 7200rpm for the hard drive. A lot of the computers I've looked at are 5400. What are your thoughts on that? Would I regret it if I tried to get by with the 5400?

EdGrip

09 Dec 2016

Get an SSD!

Srsly, it'll make such a difference. The biggest performance upgrade you can make. It's the difference between Windows booting in a few seconds, or a minute. If you can scrape together the extra cash to do it now, it'll save a lot of faffing about later if you've already installed everything on an old-fashioned HDD. 500GB ones are (relatively) cheap now. Mine's a Samsung Evo.

JRIII86

09 Dec 2016

EdGrip wrote:Get an SSD!

Srsly, it'll make such a difference. The biggest performance upgrade you can make. It's the difference between Windows booting in a few seconds, or a minute. If you can scrape together the extra cash to do it now, it'll save a lot of faffing about later if you've already installed everything on an old-fashioned HDD. 500GB ones are (relatively) cheap now. Mine's a Samsung Evo.
I read about SSDs but I read that they're a lot more expensive so I'd kind of ruled them out. I guess I'll look into it again and see if it's something I can afford.

O1B

10 Dec 2016

5400?
Sounds like $$$.$$ is the primary criteria for your choices.
If that's the case, I understand. If not, you probably want to step 'away' from the edge.
JRIII86 wrote:Thanks for all the comments so far. It's made me reconsider my options.
I also noticed that Propellerheads recommends 7200rpm for the hard drive. A lot of the computers I've looked at are 5400. What are your thoughts on that? Would I regret it if I tried to get by with the 5400?

Gorgon

10 Dec 2016

If you get a new computer nowadays without an SSD, you're basically castrating yourself. :D

Bigsby

10 Dec 2016

I've been running Reason on a 2011 Macbook Pro for the last year or so. It really doesn't run Reason that well. I recently bought an HP Z420 with a six core processor and 32GB of RAM for $350 on Craigslist. It runs Reason SO much better. I can get to 54 seconds in the benchmark song. The MBP gets to 1 or 2 seconds. My plan at this point is to just get a four year old HP workstation every few years. Keep an eye out for deals and buy when it makes sense.

JRIII86

12 Dec 2016

What do y'all think of the mac mini?

The_G

12 Dec 2016

Bigsby wrote:I've been running Reason on a 2011 Macbook Pro for the last year or so. It really doesn't run Reason that well. I recently bought an HP Z420 with a six core processor and 32GB of RAM for $350 on Craigslist. It runs Reason SO much better. I can get to 54 seconds in the benchmark song. The MBP gets to 1 or 2 seconds. My plan at this point is to just get a four year old HP workstation every few years. Keep an eye out for deals and buy when it makes sense.
I've got R7 running on a 2010 MBP as well as a 2008 iMac and no issues with either. Not sure about R9--I've got it on a 2015 MBP, where it runs perfectly (but no surprises there).

• Information