Ableton Push 2

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
intensityxc

05 Feb 2017

Hey guys/ladies,
got a question.

Im thinkin about getting the Ableton Push 2. since i only work with reason, does it make sense? can u still control many things inside reason?
u can sample pretty nice with that thing. or can somebody recommend sth similiar?

sry for my english

Sinistereo

05 Feb 2017

I use the Push 2 in Reason with ReTouch Control's PusheR2 software. It works reasonably well for me but compared to Push + Live, the integration is clunky and absolutely requires you to interact using keyboard and mouse. (Using Push with Live lets you build entire tracks without interacting with your computer.)

The Push is a "dumb" (albeit advanced) MIDI control device - it has no software built in, which means no sampling, fancy graphics, audio I/O, etc. The graphical interfaces and all functionalities are generated by the host software, so don't expect any of the Ableton features (such as sampling) to work with Reason. Without PusheR2 (or Ableton), the Push's abilities are very limited.

intensityxc

05 Feb 2017

thx for the quick response. thats a bummer. wouldnt they sell more if this device would be more "open" to other DAW´s ?
are there no hardware which harmonize well with reason? cause using drums with a launchepad like push 2 would be great

retango

05 Feb 2017

HI! I also use Push 2 with Reason with PusheR2. And while I agree with Sinistereo that integration is not nearly as good as it is with Ableton, this is because of Reason's shortcomings and not Push's. I also have a Novation SL-MKII, rsTouch, and a BCF2000, and the integration of Push 2 is perhaps the best and most complete of them all. Layout of devices in PusheR2 is very well organized, it includes most of REs, there is grid support for Kong, ReDrum, and OctoRex, the Mixer layout is neat, you can choose grids scale as in Ableton. It even has many keyboard shortcuts which speed workflow.

Again, it lacks in some respects, but I would say there is no controller out there that will let you create a whole track without touching the mouse or keyboard, or sample from the controller. Workflow integration with controllers is an area where Reason is still behind Ableton.

So I would definitively recommend Push 2 for Reason - it is not as completely integrated as with Ableton, but it integrates as much as is it currently possible with Reason. If you are looking for a Reason controller that integrates as well as Push 2 does with Ableton, I dare say you will end up empty handed.

(I must say I did not try yet the Panorama series which supposedly has the best integration with Reason, but as far as I could read, even in this case integration is much scarcer than what is possible between Push 2 and Ableton.)

Good Luck!
:reason: :rebirth: :re: :PUF_balance: :PUF_figure:

intensityxc

05 Feb 2017

thx very much for your input @retango . that was interesting to read. push 2 is pretty expensive, thats the reason why i have to be sure about it u know. but playing the drums/samples on those pads and choppin them off immediately is pretty neat

Sinistereo

05 Feb 2017

I love my Push 2 and highly recommend it. Completely agree with retango. It's just important that you understand that some of the really cool features, like on-device sampling and sample editing are only available when you use it with Live.

The best feature of Push for me is using the pads to "play" MIDI notes. Although I'm not very good at guitar, the scale layout feels much more natural than using a keyboard. It's a very organic way of interacting with an instrument.

That said, Push comes with the Intro version of Live, which I use occasionally for building patterns, scenes, and editing samples. I haven't felt the need to upgrade to the full version of Live. Was it worth $700? Maybe. :)

intensityxc

06 Feb 2017

thx @sinistereo. thats unfortunate that u only can sample only with ableton. but if it comes with Live u can chop and edit samples with it than import it into reason,right? so basically sample with ableton editing etc and after that export and import to rsn or sth like that .

• Information