Portable MIDI Controller/Keyboard (25 keys) Purchase Advice Required

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ionly

02 Mar 2017

Hi,
I'm looking into purchasing a small MIDI keyboard/controller for Reason. Must be portable (for jams), and relatively cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

ionly

03 Mar 2017

Getting some recommendations here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7498226

:puf_bigsmile:

artotaku

03 Mar 2017

I own both Akai MPK Mini MK2 and Novation Launchkey Mini

Akai MPK Mini MK2
Novation Launchkey Mini

Both are cheap and portable.
I´d prefer the Launchkey over the MPK since it has 16 buttons where the button LEDs can also be controlled from the host (Reason) with an appropriate remote codec whereas with the MPK it cannot. The Launckey has no arpeggiator though.

If I remember correctly the remote codec for the Novation Launchkey 25 (the bigger one) which is included with Reason does also work for the Launchkey Mini.

ionly

03 Mar 2017

Hi, thanks for your response.
I've been looking at the Akai MPK Mini Mk2, and quite like its features/size. I already own the LPK25, but broke it a few days ago after a rather boisterous jam/beer session - fell over on my way home :oops:

The Launchkey 25 looks interesting also.

I purchased the Launchpad S Control Pack (Launchpad/Controller) a couple of years ago, and had a few attempts at mapping it to Reason, but it has gathered dust since - I might give it another whirl this weekend before I consider selling it. There seemed to be an overwhelming myriad of possibilities to map it that my head just spun.

Cheers

submonsterz

03 Mar 2017

I went got an mpk mini mk2 .
It for the money is great wicked little control keyboard .
Well that is unless you want use it with"" reason ""then its functions and features just are not suppoerted and is just a pain in the arse ...
Not unless you want to go making ya own codec for it
Its been out a while and i still haven't found a decent codec for it in reason to get out of the remote mapping shite ya gotta do to get funtions sort of working .
So i'd stay clear of that unless ya want to use other daws where it works a charm out of the box and has better support and functionallity .
But on that note if any one has made a decent codec to get the most out of the mpk mini mk2 post it up. or a link to it as i gave up looking .
Maybe props will get thier finger out and concentrate on these things with popular controllers and start to get good support for em in thier software as errmm controller support is an important factor to the software.

Sinistereo

03 Mar 2017

If you're after a good portable MIDI keyboard, I highly recommend CME's Xkey line. Full size, velocity sensitive keys with per-key aftertouch and touch-responsive modwheel and pitch bend. Built like a tank, incredibly portable, and feels sooo close to a normal keyboard (full size keys) that for me, there was no learning curve.

http://www.cme-pro.com/xkey-tour/

• Information