Smart/AI TV and screen calibration

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
RobC

18 Jun 2023

I saw yesterday a video, that explained that we can't calibrate a TV at home.

Fair enough, when it comes to accurate colors.

(Let me take a moment to apologize that I always break my text like this - I like to separate some thoughts ~ so there's a logic behind it.)

There are, however, things like contrast, black level, and color intensity, which we - IMO - can eyeball, or set to taste.

I get the point of natural look, and these "film maker mode" settings, but there are certain problems with it: no matter how I walk away and look at other things for some minutes, or look at it until my eyes adapt, etc, it's just not enjoyable to look at. When motion is not smoothened out, it looks kind of like the frames are skipping.

I know this is like audio and EQ ~ but on the TV screen, I don't get what I'm missing that I don't fancy a close-to-natural look...

I wonder how you feel about 'natural' look? Do you prefer it, or do you like to change it a bit to taste?

robussc

18 Jun 2023

I absolutely hate the motion smoothing in new TVs and turn it off immediately. I have an ancient calibration DVD I use for setting contrast and color etc.

TVs from the factory are configured to make an impact on the showroom floor not in your home theater.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

RobC

18 Jun 2023

robussc wrote:
18 Jun 2023
I absolutely hate the motion smoothing in new TVs and turn it off immediately. I have an ancient calibration DVD I use for setting contrast and color etc.

TVs from the factory are configured to make an impact on the showroom floor not in your home theater.
I love it, so it's up to everyone.

But yeah, the store mode is quite tricky. Only worse than those tricks, are the aggressive, underhanded salesmen, that try to sell everything else on top, but not what you asked for.

deigm

21 Jul 2023

Calibrating a TV is kind of like tuning your studio monitors with a calibration mic. With studio monitors, the goal is generally a flat frequency response. This can be measured and adjusted with a calibration mic and eq.

The trouble is, there isn't really a calibration mic equivalent for TVs. (Well, there is, but they're rediculously expensive/not a consumer product).
Calibrating your TV with a DVD is like calibrating your speakers with an EQ but no mic to give you your reference/tell you if it's flat. You can do it, but your tuning by ear. You'll likely make it sound better or more to your liking, but that's not calibration.

That's not ideal if your intention is to mix and master music, but if your intention is just to listen to and enjoy music, then it's totally fine! Because in that scenario your enjoyment is all that matters.
What is your intended use of the TV? Are you making films or enjoying films?

Personally, I start by setting my TV to film-maker mode (because I was told film-maker is the manufacturers attempt at a broad stroke 'calibrated' preset), and then adjust to taste from there.

deigm

21 Jul 2023

RobC wrote:
18 Jun 2023

I know this is like audio and EQ ~ but on the TV screen, I don't get what I'm missing that I don't fancy a close-to-natural look...

I wonder how you feel about 'natural' look? Do you prefer it, or do you like to change it a bit to taste?
To extend the analogy, lots of music consumers don't prefer a flat frequency response when listening to music either. People will crank the bass, apply 'loudness' curves, use vacuum tube amps, and HI-FI speakers are rarely designed to be flat in the first place. Consumers generally do what sounds good to them, not necessarily what is 'natural'. Nothing wrong with that, as an end user, imo.

stillifegaijin

22 Jul 2023

Motion Smoothing is a plague on humanity.

• Information