Issues with my audio-MIDI interface issues

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
linny

28 Apr 2024

Hello, I tried connecting my Tascam US-144 to record in Reason and I encountered a problem. I'd previously had this issue but it had resolved itself. Unfortunately it's back. Essentially I hear intermittent crackling, and any time I try to play audio (or video) with my interface plugged in, the audio plays for a fraction of a second, freezes for a few, plays again for a fraction, freezes, and keeps going in this cycle. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers as well as the firmware, and it didn't help.

Here is a video demonstrating the issue:

How do I fix this?

linny

05 May 2024

I've tried replacing the USB cable as well, with no change. I've re-uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers as well.

spacepluk

05 May 2024

Have you tried different (bigger) buffer sizes?

spacepluk

05 May 2024

Or maybe the Sample Clock Source is incorrect.

linny

05 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
05 May 2024
Or maybe the Sample Clock Source is incorrect.
How do I fix it? I've tried different buffer sizes.

EDIT: I take it back, I don't actually have the option to change buffer sizes. The bar is greyed out.
Last edited by linny on 05 May 2024, edited 2 times in total.

linny

05 May 2024

Okay I found out where to change it, gonna see if it makes a difference

EDIT: It does not in fact make a difference

spacepluk

05 May 2024

Maybe try different ports or a powered usb hub. Does the interface work at all with other programs? Also, does Reason work with the built-in audio?

linny

05 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
05 May 2024
Maybe try different ports or a powered usb hub. Does the interface work at all with other programs? Also, does Reason work with the built-in audio?
Audio sounds the same regardless of the USB port and regardless of the source of audio. If I watch a Youtube video with my interface plugged in, it stutters all the same. Reason works fine if I use built-in audio.

spacepluk

05 May 2024

It sounds like a driver issue, maybe it doesn’t work with your version of Windows… or maybe that the port isn’t giving it enough power. I think the usb powered hub is worth a try, disabling phantom power might help too if that is the reason.

You could also try contacting Tascam .

linny

06 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
05 May 2024
It sounds like a driver issue, maybe it doesn’t work with your version of Windows… or maybe that the port isn’t giving it enough power. I think the usb powered hub is worth a try, disabling phantom power might help too if that is the reason.

You could also try contacting Tascam .
I'll try contacting them, thank you for the advice!

• Information