Arpeggiator

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jpf

05 Feb 2015

Hi everybody!

I am trying without success to set up something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b05UAklbyUE

I have tried using Thor arp, antidote arp, polysix arp, predator arp and rpg8... But I cant reproduce this in order to play live, as in the video!

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

eusti

05 Feb 2015

Create the instrument you want to use as a sound source, load desired patch, create RPG-8...
This should wire them up correctly. Then adjust the sync from 1/16 to 1/8 (on the RPG-8).
Play or program the notes in the sequencer lane of the RPG-8.

That should do the trick.

D.

PS: I forgot: Click on the Octave "2 Oct" button to highlight it red, instead the "1 Oct".
This is all from a reset RPG-8 device.

rcbuse
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

RPG-8, Hold On, 1/8 notes, 2 OCT.

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-02-05_at_11.21.22_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-02-05_at_11.21.22_PM.png (210.73 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

eusti

05 Feb 2015

rcbuse wrote:RPG-8, Hold On, 1/8 notes, 2 OCT.

Yes! Thank you! Forgot that the key wasn't held down in the video! Sorry!

D.

ScavvP

05 Feb 2015

In the video the arp always plays in sync with the beat (lower octave on the downbeat), no matter if the note is played on the up- or downbeat. This can't be done with rpg-8, predator, etc. as far as I know. You can do this however with autoarp. I've made a patch that does just that:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iqsbdhuvwcbm ... patch?dl=0

eusti

05 Feb 2015

Thanks, ScavvP! Can't check it out, don't have AutoArp.

D.

jpf

06 Feb 2015

Thank you!!

I can't wait to be in home tonight to try that!

jpf

06 Feb 2015

Thank you eusti, rcbuse, scavvp...

Literally I couldn't wait to come home... I have just bought AutoArp to try scavvp solution... It works exactly as I want! Thank you very much!

I have tried the AuroArp demo in the past in order to achieve this but I could not figure out how it works... Now I am going to "dissect" scavvp file in order to understand how it works... Autoarp looks as a very powerful Rack Extension...

Its a little bit weird that this can't be achieved with Polysix, Predator, Antidote or RPG-8...

Anyway... Thanks a lot! :)

-008'

06 Feb 2015

Here is a really quick reason file attempting this with only Thor. Forgive me in advance if im missing something obvious. I dont have much time lately and i just wanted to participate!

Thor step sequencer with two steps, pitched 2nd step up an octave, CV'd the end of seq. back to the start of seq. Then i just play the notes in from my KB.

You have to almost play the notes early but it does always restarts when you play it. To make sure this file played what i heard, when i played it, i quantized the notes and then made them a tick or two early. 

:)  If there is more than one way to do something, i suppose it's good to learn at least a few ways. lol

Attachments
bass_bounce_thor.zip
(41.32 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

eusti

06 Feb 2015

Is there actually a way to quantize notes while being played live? If you quantize to 1/4 note then the RPG-8 should work, no?

D.

jpf

06 Feb 2015

Thank you 008 for your information and file.. but I could not open your file because I have Reason 7.1 ...

khosco

13 Mar 2015

hi there,

interesting thread..

maybe you know a solution for the following: i want to use the rpg-8 live to trigger any synth. the problem is that if triggered by midi-in, it doesnt start immediately if e.g. set to 1/16th.

if set to "free" it triggers instantly.

but in order to play along with the others i need it set to a 1/16th value.

our stage gear is not midi sync'd and i dont play the timeline.

maybe you have some clues..

thanks,
kyril

• Information