Using Thor for a Beach

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

08 Jul 2015

Hello.
So I had a horrid bout of insomnia a coupla nites ago, and the following morning - in my new abode
, I decided to (try to) get some sleep as I had the day off anyways. Unfortunately, two guys were mowing and weed-whacking loudly and even with the windows closed, it was pretty annoying.
So in my messed up state, I grabbed my iPad, opened up Thor, and fired up a couple of noise oscillators - white and color, cranked up velocity and gate and hit Run.
Whoosh...the sound mostly masked the noise outside and I was feeling mellow when I thought, hey, why not use an LFO on a filter freq to make it sound (sorta) like waves at the ocean or a huge ass lake. A few minutes later I was in deep sleep.

Until the thunder storm hit 45 minutes later... :x

Anyways, I was wondering what the synth pros here would do to make a really realistic ocean wave sound using Thor. My version is pretty crude and the waves crash like clockwork.

Thanks. :)
Last edited by stratatonic on 29 Jun 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2015

Hi

If looking to make a "real" beach I would probably make several different sounding waves in Thor and sample each off. I'd then pop each one in an NN Sample player (or all in one NN-XT using Layers).

I'd create a set of notes for each NN, ensuring each clip was a different length. I'd then copy each Clip out for a few mins. Because each Clip is a different length then they will "phase" which will create variety. If notes in each clip are of varying pitches this will emulate wave size variation. Same with panning per instrument.

Set your track to Loop and you are in fake heaven.

UPDATE: I realized you said iPad so that is Thor alone. Well here is a patch that may be more what you are after. Everything is handled within Thor using LFOs and the Seq. You just need to hit RUN and supply sand flies, jellyfish, sharks, stoned teenagers having sex...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... 20BRM.thor

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

bpmorton

09 Jul 2015

one of my patches. includes that fizzy sound after the wave goes back out.
Attachments
OceanWaves.zip
(3.9 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2015

That is a nice sound. And I do so like the sound of all the bubbles popping and sand sliding around.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

selig
RE Developer

09 Jul 2015

Here's something I did about five years ago, and it uses four Thors in total. Enjoy!
IIRC, I made it for similar reasons, to provide background noise so I could sleep (I've built quite a few very different approaches to night time noise blockers over the years…).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyudfegbgqq25 ... b.zip?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

09 Jul 2015

You guys are nuts. All these patches are epic.

I live by the shore and I've never managed to capture sounds as cool as these. Why use the real thing when you can fake something much better... :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2015

Exactly. Reality sucks compared to synthesis. So far in my life I have replaced Thunder, Wind, Waves, Fireworks, Running Water, Rain and various factories. Oh and of course 80's computers. Now all I need to do is work out how to use Thor to create

:ugeek:
Benedict Roff-Marsh

FauxChaud

10 Jul 2015

Here's a song I did with waves and seagulls, both made with Thor. I'll have to dig up the files to get the patches

The Hollywood Shorties motion picture soundtrack is now available on iTunes, Amazon, and Spotify.

pushedbutton

10 Jul 2015

Needs more Seagull ;)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2015

I think maybe a flock of them :roll: .

I like the really big synth hooks. My kinda thing.

That reminds me I have also mastered the synthesis of birds and furry animals.

Maybe that is all I need to make myself a girlfriend...

Benedict Roff-Marsh

CharlyCharlzz

10 Jul 2015

crazy thread , I love the idear and these two patches are mad .

I think that using these two patches as a start could lead to a full beach combinator , what does a beach soound like after all ????

I think that a beach background is made of wind's and the waves of the ocean but also a few other things like the wind blowing sand or gallet stones Rolling in the water .
adding a simple mid resonance sound to the all thing also could give that large space back ground noise you get on every outdoor recordings on large open spaces dont you think ?

very creative , I am going to get inspired by these for shure .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Jordan Miller

12 Jul 2015

Some nice patches here! Here's my attempt I made a few years ago. It's more of a shorter crashing sound, with lots of fizz (using echo which does sound a bit noticeable).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/290 ... 0Shore.zip

pushedbutton

12 Jul 2015

Benedict wrote:I think maybe a flock of them :roll: .

I like the really big synth hooks. My kinda thing.

That reminds me I have also mastered the synthesis of birds and furry animals.

Maybe that is all I need to make myself a girlfriend...

I attempted to snyth up a seagull sound, for a second or two I came close but I had to keep playing and it got worse. story of my life.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

TheMiles

12 Jul 2015

Around the middle of the piece there's a forest scene with crickets, birds and wind blowing through the trees...
Its not exactly ocean waves, but still very relaxing. I don't remember how exactly I did this, but the old file still must be around somewhere.. :)
Let me know what you think!

http://www.pluto55.com/serendipity/uplo ... e_born.mp3

• Information